2016 top 8 predictions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 top 8 predictions

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
As a bit of fun and forward thinking who will make up the top 8 in 2016

My guess, not in any order is:-

Hawthorn
Collingwood
Geelong
GWS
Adelaide
Bulldogs
Richmond
West Coast

Not very original picks, but Collingwood, unfortunately, will improve next year as will Geelong, particularly if they secure Danger. Hawthorn, of course, will be there again, and GWS have shown enough this year to rate a possibility for next year. West Coast always will be hard to dislodge from the eight. Bulldogs have a young side and showed this year they have a good game plan and coach. Adelaide, not all that confident, but picked them because I could not find another team better. As for our Tigers, who knows, but have to pick them just on emotion.

Guess many will go for the stereo type teams of Sydney, Port and Freo, but I suspect their days are past for now. GC may be a chance if Ablett fires again.

Interesting to see who gets it right for next year. Have a go PREnders.

To much water to flow under the list bridges for me to have a crack yet. Delistings, trades, drafts etc will play an enormous part in teams' fortunes.

I reckon the Hawks will be hard to beat again. 4 in a row wouldn't surprise me in the least. Their leaders are in their prime and they have some good kids coming on. I don't think they're anywhere near as over the hill as some suggest. Hope we play our cards well enough to take it up to them.

graystar1 said:
As a bit of fun and forward thinking who will make up the top 8 in 2016

My guess, not in any order is:-

Hawthorn
Collingwood
Geelong
GWS
Adelaide
Bulldogs
Richmond
West Coast

Not very original picks, but Collingwood, unfortunately, will improve next year as will Geelong, particularly if they secure Danger. Hawthorn, of course, will be there again, and GWS have shown enough this year to rate a possibility for next year. West Coast always will be hard to dislodge from the eight. Bulldogs have a young side and showed this year they have a good game plan and coach. Adelaide, not all that confident, but picked them because I could not find another team better. As for our Tigers, who knows, but have to pick them just on emotion.

Guess many will go for the stereo type teams of Sydney, Port and Freo, but I suspect their days are past for now. GC may be a chance if Ablett fires again.

Interesting to see who gets it right for next year. Have a go PREnders.

West Coast
North
Hawthorn
Richmond
Geelong
Sydney
Freo
GWS

Right now hard to pick but as long as the Tigers make it and at least make second week of the finals life wont be too bad. It will just depend if we as a club want it hard enough and work hard enough whatever the other clubs do.

UKTiger said:
Right now hard to pick but as long as the Tigers make it and at least make second week of the finals life wont be too bad. It will just depend if we as a club want it hard enough and work hard enough whatever the other clubs do.

Dunno, finishing top 4 and going out in straight sets might be more painful than our last 3 years.

West Coast
North Melbourne
Hawthorn
Fremantle
Geelong
Bulldogs
GWS
Richmond/Adelaide?

Now the rest of the comp knows our weakness if Dimma can't adapt our game to become more attacking we wont make the Eight.

A bit hard to call until trading and drafting is done and dusted (not to mention WADA), but the doggies will be this years Port and not make the 8 next year.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
West Coast
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Hawthorn
GWS
Fremantle
North Melbourne
Adelaide

Lot of trading ahead though.
You could probably work this out L2R. I'm sure historical years in/outs based on ladder positions or something will show a trend eg 7th or 8th usually drop out to be replaced by 10th (or something like that)

West Coast
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Richmond
Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Adelaide
North

tigertim said:
You could probably work this out L2R. I'm sure historical years in/outs based on ladder positions or something will show a trend eg 7th or 8th usually drop out to be replaced by 10th (or something like that)

Final 8 era 1994-2015

Position after finals on left, position after finals the following season across the top

Pos 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
----------------------------------------------------------
1st 5 5 1 3 1 3 1 1 1
2nd 4 3 1 1 2 2 4 2 2
3rd 3 1 4 2 2 2 4 1 1 1
4th 2 3 1 1 4 1 1 2 2 1 1 2
5th 3 2 1 3 1 3 1 3 2 1 1
6th 2 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 4 1 1
7th 2 1 5 3 2 1 1 1 2 3
8th 1 2 1 2 2 2 1 4 2 1 1 1 1
9th 2 1 2 2 2 1 1 2 2 1 1 2 2
10th 1 1 2 1 3 3 1 3 1 1 1 1 2
11th 1 2 3 2 1 1 2 2 2 1 2 2
12th 1 2 2 1 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3
13th 1 2 4 2 1 2 1 2 3 2 1
14th 1 2 2 1 1 4 1 1 1 1 1 1 4
15th 1 1 1 1 4 4 2 2 4 1
16th 3 1 1 2 1 2 4 3 1 1
17th 1 1 2
18th 1 1 1

So that looks pretty good ltr2r!

In the last decade or so 7th has the next year kicked butt!!!!

If I read your graph right??????

Not really.
The way I read it, seventh has finished top four the next year on only three occasions, 5th-8th eight times, and ten times has not even made the finals.

23.21.159 said:
Not really.
The way I read it, seventh has finished top four the next year on only three occasions, 5th-8th eight times, and ten times has not even made the finals.

Yes. Essentially, teams near the top of the ladder are more likely to repeat and vice versa, which stands to reason.

Might be easier to read this way.

LPos_zpsvuwccepy.jpg~original

Data's not terribly conclusive so I wouldn't go reading too much into it, e.g. 3rd ->9th, 4th -> 4th and 6th -> 3rd all happened for the first time in 2014-15.

Ian4 said:
looks like silly season has started already after looking at this thread :hihi

Correct, but have to have something to write about during the unfooty season. Bit of fun does not hurt.

1 Hawthorn
2 Freo
3 West Coast
4 Geelong
5 Nth Melb
6 Richmond
7 Adelaide
8 Western Bulldogs

Just reckon the cats are a show with danger and a healthy list to pick from