2016 - No Subs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 - No Subs

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
What are peoples thoughts on the change of tactics for no subs in 2016?

Will we go back to having 2 ruckmen in the squad rotating off the bench or has that gone the way of the stab pass ?
The draft looks heavy on athletes. Are we going back to the Wallace era skinny flankers ? Does the change in subs work for or against RFC ?

I don't think we'll get 2 ruckmen back on the 22, we've learned to live without them. A premium might be on athletes but I hope it doesn't go that way.

FWIW I reckon we should have increased the subs to 2, not removed them

Baloo said:

Will we go back to having 2 ruckmen in the squad rotating off the bench or has that gone the way of the stab pass ?
The draft looks heavy on athletes. Are we going back to the Wallace era skinny flankers ? Does the change in subs work for or against RFC ?

I don't think we'll get 2 ruckmen back on the 22, we've learned to live without them. A premium might be on athletes but I hope it doesn't go that way.

It gives us room to play McBean, Vickery and Griff in the same side.

Good thing.

Baloo said:

Stab Pass.

Agree 2 interchange with 2 subs. Gets rid of the stupid interchange numbers whilst also tiring players out.

Baloo said:

I'd have preferred no subs but max 80 interchanges.

Good. Get 4 - 6 players on the I/C bench per game. Gives more players a chance to play. Re-schedule the 1sts and 2nds teams properly to give the benchwarmers a run every round.

allows us to play an extra tall i reckon & rotate 1 off the bench.

agree sub rule was the worst rule ever invented, it killed SC rookie value & who cares if rotation #'s are up....
should have left 4 on the bench & let the game evolve, that's why the game has the issue's it does atm....

Harry said:
Sub rule was the worst rule ever introduced.

my opinion is basically the opposite. out of all the bad decisions made by the AFL in recent years, I can't think of a worse one off the top of my head than getting rid of the sub rule.

On the fence on the sub. Didn't mind it, was like the old 19th man. I dunno what the best fit it, 2 interchange and a sub would be interesting IMO.

D85 said:
Look for an increase in soft tissue injuries this year
I think there will be a drop in collision injuries. Players won't be able to as hard and fast for as long.

tigersnake said:
On the fence on the sub. Didn't mind it, was like the old 19th man. I dunno what the best fit it, 2 interchange and a sub would be interesting IMO.

How about a bigger bench but when you have come off you can't go back on?

Works for a few sports I believe.

Tigers of Old said:
So what happens now if a team gets a serious injury in the 1st term? They just go the rest of the game a man short?

THIS!

All the discussion on the sub rule and its removal seems to have completely ignored the main reason it was introduced !!!
I liked it and would have preferred 2 and 2. Maybe even more subs if you like but I reckon 2 interchange only.

23.21.159 said:
All the discussion on the sub rule and its removal seems to have completely ignored the main reason it was introduced !!!

Sure is baffling. I'm all for fatiguing players but teams shouldn't be punished by playing a man down if a player is forced out of the game early.