2016 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2016 Draft

IanG said:
Whoever we choose needs to have a competitive personality.

Ainsworth, Clarke & Parfitt are all competitive beasts, the latter playing senior football as a 16 year old and thriving. Don't have any concerns with our first pick, the problem is that we won't get a second bite due to the Yarran selection, reckon things will taper off by the third round. I hate to say it but that trade already has a stench about it, particularly given we will be entering an inevitable rebuild phase. Carlton seem to be very good at palming off damaged goods to the RFC, everyone else seems to get a bargain which indicates our due diligence needs to be looked at. So far we have recruited Knights, Hampson & Yarran, all of whom appear to be made of paper mache.

bullus_hit said:
Ainsworth, Clarke & Parfitt are all competitive beasts, the latter playing senior football as a 16 year old and thriving. Don't have any concerns with our first pick, the problem is that we won't get a second bite due to the Yarran selection, reckon things will taper off by the third round. I hate to say it but that trade already has a stench about it, particularly given we will be entering an inevitable rebuild phase. Carlton seem to be very good at palming off damaged goods to the RFC, everyone else seems to get a bargain which indicates our due diligence needs to be looked at. So far we have recruited Knights, Hampson & Yarran, all of whom appear to be made of paper mache.
If Yarran gets right, I reckon it's a good deal. He's the same age as Chimp and Rance, a demographic in which we're short.

If we have the nads to trade someone like Brando or Floss, we're back in with another good pick.

spook said:
If Yarran gets right, I reckon it's a good deal. He's the same age as Chimp and Rance, a demographic in which we're short.

If we have the nads to trade someone like Brando or Floss, we're back in with another good pick.

We'll have to see, would have taken Harley Balic with the pick last year, and this year it could well be a top 25 selection due to our poor start.

bullus_hit said:
We'll have to see, would have taken Harley Balic with the pick last year, and this year it could well be a top 25 selection due to our poor start.
There's that.

spook said:
There's that.

Yarran would have been a free agent this year as well. If it turns out that this year is a write-off then we have played this incredibly poorly, there were plenty of good players to choose from, Adams, Mathieson or Bonner would have been nice acquisitions as well.

bullus_hit said:
Yep, lovely penetrating kick, agile and strong. He's got short stocky legs like Jack Steven, something I really like because they tend to hold their ground better, Wanganeen was another with a low centre of gravity.

Alan Didak looked like a full forward on a pockets legs. He was pretty good too.

Are we tanking?

easy said:
Alan Didak looked like a full forward on a pockets legs. He was pretty good too.

Are we tanking?

Hard to say where he will land but I have him chalked in somewhere in the first round. It's not often a NT underage kid makes the AA squad but that's exactly what Parfitt has achieved. As to his playing style, a cross between Daniel Rich & Jack Steven, he also loves to tackle which we sorely need. I have Ainsworth ahead of him but wouldn't be disappointed if it was Parfitt at this early stage. Obviously this is a very early assessment but his form last year was excellent, just have to wait for some of the combine data to roll in.

spook said:
Mate. C'mon. Mids. Two bulls, with talent.

It will be painful to see Tyson, Brayshaw, Petraccca and Oliver play for Melbourne on the weekend. We need two of those blokes.

And a ruck, no doubt. But you can muddle along without much of one if you have to. As you have banged on about for years, our midfield is being exposed.
He might flourish given the number one job. Free agent: do it.
Tell me about it. (Lamby would have got Jack Fitspastic instead ;) )
Big wraps on the boy. There are quite a few brothers available this year: Brayshaw, Hampton, Atley, Scharenberg.

agree. and forget Clarke, soft. He is Freo's Griff. He's better than Griff, but he is still Freo's Griff.

bullus_hit said:
Hard to say where he will land but I have him chalked in somewhere in the first round. It's not often a NT underage kid makes the AA squad but that's exactly what Parfitt has achieved. As to his playing style, a cross between Daniel Rich & Jack Steven, he also loves to tackle which we sorely need. I have Ainsworth ahead of him but wouldn't be disappointed if it was Parfitt at this early stage. Obviously this is a very early assessment but his form last year was excellent, just have to wait for some of the combine data to roll in.

I've got no opinion on this particular dude, but a Jack Steven type is definitely what we should target.

spook said:
Mate. C'mon. Mids. Two bulls, with talent.

And a ruck, no doubt. But you can muddle along without much of one if you have to. As you have banged on about for years, our midfield is being exposed.

Mate, you don't need to tell me. Been signing that song for 8 years and everyone roars it down. MIDFIELD DEPTH.

The Yarran deal cost us Rhys Mathieson last year, that would've been my selection and another this year. The price is steep when you look at how shallow our midfield is.

bullus_hit said:

I'm really looking forward to Parfitt getting a gig in the new Allies concept that will play against the division 1 teams. It's a great concept. WIll show the Divi 2 types against the top liners. But so far, huge fan of Parfitt. He's on the shortlist.

SCOOP said:
Doesn't matter.

Take the wrong types anyway.

Exactly. Until we get a new head of recruiting who cares. Who is the bloke that is skinny, slow, has no standout traits and comes from a great family? Because that's who we'll probably be picking.

Got down to Frankston early on Saturday to watch the Dandenong Stingrays & NSW.

Let’s just get it out the way, Harrison Macreadie is another GWS jet in the waiting. A mobile key position player, there is no way he won’t be at the Giants next year. He’s mobile, vocal and able to play either defensive key posts. He was All Australian last year and more than likely will be again next year. And looks like he will be a massive unit. Intercept marks and then launches attacks effortlessly. Long way out but I could see him being bidded on in the number one spot. In a draft dominated by midfielders, this will push him up the rankings. Overall must say the standard of the NSW team is vastly improved. Pushed a really well coached Dandenong side. That extra pick the GWS have for Treloar will be used here. It’s smart forward planning. The GWS have a plan and know how to use the Academy well. It’s a scheme but it’s theirs.

A couple of interesting types for the Rays. Myles Poholke is a really different type. Seemed to be in anything and running to the right spots. Was so nimble, in traffic he had a couple of super quick lateral movements and he was free. Is a late starter but he has something. Interesting to see how he progresses. Only got called up to TAC footy halfway through last year and got in the AFL academy program off the back of those efforts. He’s developing quickly. I know I said no flankers but just put this lad in the watch category. Has something. No idea what he ends up in six months.

Also want to see more of Sam Flower, kicked five as a small forward and was super classy, understands how to play small and be good. Couldn’t help but think of Jack Lonie.

Both Poholke and Flower ar types we could use in the front half. Early days.

Josh Battle is another to follow closely. Huge wraps on him. Kicked four and did the things a key forward should. Hit's the pack hard and makes it easier for smalls like Flower. He's a big boy but not sure he can be a key forward at the next level. If he could build endurance and become a change onballer, he really could be something of interest.

See here is a massive problem for us, gws allready know what their getting and can pencil in minimum of 3 more acadamy juniors, , which we must wait to see what pick we have, anywhere from 2-12 and no way of knowing what exactly we can get, relying on information out of our hands, whilst they preplan certain recruits from up to 3 years away, just is *smile* and makes me question my 36 years of loyal membership.

jokershoppe said:
See here is a massive problem for us, gws allready know what their getting and can pencil in minimum of 3 more acadamy juniors, , which we must wait to see what pick we have, anywhere from 2-12 and no way of knowing what exactly we can get, relying on information out of our hands, whilst they preplan certain recruits from up to 3 years away, just is *smile* and makes me question my 36 years of loyal membership.

Its tough to take, especially considering what they have already been handed.

The league is better with a strong Essendon too apparently, but Richmond can please themselves.

jokershoppe said:

Mate, I agree to a point. The academies are BS. But until we get our own house in order, we can't whinge.

Even with all the concessions, all the academy rubbish, we could have done and should have done much better.

A smart organised department can still build a premiership list. Hang in there.

A kid I coached as junior got BOG for Oakleigh this week, so pretty wrapped.