2012 PREmier Fighting Tiger Award- THE AWARDS THREAD | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2012 PREmier Fighting Tiger Award- THE AWARDS THREAD

Re: The 2012 PREmier Fighting Tiger Award-Round 8 vs Essendon - RESULTS POSTED

2012 PREmier Fighting Tiger Award
Voting Results for Round 8 vs Essendon

ESSENDON 6.2 12.7 16.9 19.14 (128)
RICHMOND 4.2 6.8 11.16 15.1 (109)

GOALS
Essendon: Ryder 4, Stanton 3, Monfries 3, Watson 2, Jetta 2, Davey 2, Crameri, Howlett, Lovett-Murray
Richmond: Cotchin 3, Edwards 3, Grigg 2, Martin 2, Deledio, Jackson, Miller, Nahas, Riewoldt

Rank Change Player 3 VOTES 2 VOTES 1 VOTE RD TOTAL TOTAL VOTES AVG
1 - Trent Cotchin 5 24 26 89 666 55 83.3
2 - Brett Deledio 53 9 2 179 663 64 82.9
3 - Ivan Maric 8 26 19 95 479 53 59.9
4 - Shaun Grigg 0 4 3 11 325 7 40.6
5 - Nathan Foley 0 0 0 0 282 0 35.3
6 - Alex Rance 0 0 0 0 258 0 32.3
7 - Dylan Grimes 0 0 0 0 218 0 27.3
8 - Shane Tuck 0 0 1 1 190 1 23.8
9 - Reece Conca 0 0 0 0 114 0 14.3
10 - Robin Nahas 0 0 0 0 86 0 10.8
11 - Steven Morris 0 0 0 0 51 0 6.4
12 - Jake Batchelor 0 0 1 1 43 1 6.1
13 ↓1 Dustin Martin 0 0 0 0 42 0 5.3
14 NEW Shane Edwards 1 4 15 26 26 20 4.3
15 ↓1 Jack Riewoldt 0 0 0 0 22 0 2.8
16 ↓1 Chris Newman 0 0 0 0 9 0 1.1
17 ↓1 Bachar Houli 0 0 0 0 8 0 1.0
18 ↓1 Brad Miller 0 0 0 0 6 0 0.8
19 ↓1 Brandon Ellis 0 0 0 0 2 0 0.3
=20 ↓1 Addam Maric 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.3
=20 ↓1 Matt Dea 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.3
Total Voters=67

257801.jpg

MATCH REPORT
by Panthera tigris FC

What's worse than attending the Dreamtime match with two Essendon supporters? Attending the Dreamtime match with two Essendon supporters when the Bombers have only lost a single match for the season. I don't think there is a side that have supporters that are such annoying winners. The lead up to the match was peppered by constant crowing from the fans and media alike about the great Essendon and how they were shaping as potential premiers. They all seem to have short memories as it was only 12 months ago that the high flying Bombers were sent on a losing streak that was instigated by a loss to the Tigers in the Dreamtime match of 2011. How I wished for a similar result to emerge last Saturday night.

The Dreamtime match is rapidly becoming a highlight of the season for me. Two traditional clubs, a massive crowd and a celebration of Australian indigenous culture make for a great night. In the short history of this fixture there have already been some classic memories including the infamous Richo hands in the back loss, the highlight of JON's career with a winning behind and our against the odds victory in 2011. With a sell-out in 2012 and a crowd of over 80000 the match was set up for a thrilling showdown.

The first quarter started brightly with a Tiger clearance and a Dustin Martin goal within the first 30 seconds of the match. That is where the fun ended for the Richmond supporters in the crowd as Paddy Ryder proceeded to impose himself in the forward line and in a match that celebrates their heritage the Essendon indigenous boy Ryder and Davey proceeded to bang on 4 goals unanswered. The Tigers did manage to respond with a couple of goals in response, but a 6 goal quarter to the Dons meant that a night of catch up footy seemed to be on the cards.

This was prediction was confirmed in the second quarter as Essendon took control and the Tigers began to waste possession and scoring opportunities, a trend that would haunt the side for the entire night. Essendon were cleaner when in possession and always seemed a threat to score when they cleared the ball from the contested situations. The Tigers, in contrast, were being put under constant pressure, especially our defense and a few Bomber goals were a direct result of turnovers caused by pressure on the ball carriers in defense. At one stage the margin blew out to 42 points and chances of victory appeared to be slipping from Richmond's grasp. The problem was compounded and things looked bleak when our Rising Star hope Grimes was subbed off with a hamstring injury. With a serious hamstring injury in the 2011 Dreamtime match ending his season, this fixture will not hold great memories for Dylan.

Even facing a 35 point half time deficit the Tigers again showed that they have developed some steel in comparison to the Tiger sides of recent years. The Tigers have fought out every match in 2012 and that extra year of development, maturity and evolving game plan has seen Richmond competitive throughout the season, even if wins have been difficult to secure. The Dreamtime match proved to be no exception. The Tigers continued to fight and the Bombers started to wilt under the constant pressure. The 3rd quarter can only be described as a domination, however a domination that was marked by wasted opportunities. 13 scoring shots to 6 in the 3rd quarter tells the story. The Tigers owned the midfield and the Bombers struggled to maintain possession. This led to an onslaught of Tiger opportunities, unfortunately most of them squandered. I could make a long list of players that missed goals that they would normally score, but I am trying to limit the length of this report. Suffice to say that instead of taking the lead, which such dominance remarkably warranted, the Tigers chipped away at the deficit, point by point and entered the final quarter 23 points down.

The final quarter started with the Tigers continuing their 3rd quarter dominance and some brilliance from Trent Cotchin and Shane Edwards saw the Tigers remarkably hit the front half way through. The crowd noise was unbelivable! There is nothing like Tiger roar when we come from behind and the crowd of just shy of 81000 makes it thunderous. Even though we had made up so much ground to take the lead I couldn't help thinking of all of our near misses this season. As it turns out, this fear was warranted, as the Tigers were unable to maintain the momentum and Essendon regained the lead and sealed the match to record a devastating 19 point victory.

I am not sure whether these 'honourable losses' are better for my emotional state than the 100+ point floggings of our recent history. The Blues, Geelong, West Coast and now Essendon matches have all been characterised by steely Tiger resolve to hang tough and come back to get within striking distance of victory only to wilt in the final moments of the match. We have seen the side develop under Hardwick from an uncompetitive rabble to a side that appears to be able to match it with any side in the competition on their day. The next step is to develop that self belief and killer instinct to finish teams off when we get into winning positions. I have no doubt that this side can develop that, it is just painful to watch in the interim!

In the voting this week the PRE crowd agreed with the judges at the match who awarded Brett Deledio the Yiooken Award for best on ground. Lids has taken another step this season and has positioned himself to be counted amongst the competition's elite. He runs all day, is our best user of the ball and his move into the midfield has seen his impact on matches increase this year. This week sees him rated the best Tiger afield for the third time in eight matches and there is now only 3 votes separating the top 2 players on the leaderboard. Having said that, Trent Cotchin has retained his position at number one and deservedly so after he racked up large numbers in the polls this week. Mark my words, barring injury (touch wood) Trent Cotchin will win a Brownlow Medal in the near future. He is that good. He is still developing as a player and his endurance is getting better as the preseasons that he is now able to complete add to his tank. He really has all the skills, the ability to win the ball in contested situations, the ability to run his opponent into the ground, the ability to stand in tackles and choose the right options and the ability to hurt the opposition on the score board. We saw all of these traits on display on Saturday night. The improvements in our midfield owe no small part to the acquisition and form of Ivan Maric. The man is a warrior and single-handedly took on the in form ruck duo of Bellchambers and Ryder and arguably shaded them. His ability to provide a physical contest in the ruck is complemented by his work around the ground and his ability to take the contested marks that help relieve the constant pressure of the modern press. He has rightly been already been referred to as a Tiger folk hero by the resident PRE wordsmith Dyer'ere and his flowing locks just add to the mystique.

This week sees the Tigers take on the Hawks in the traditional Saturday afternoon timeslot at the 'G. This is a fixture that we have struggled to win in recent years and we will need to see our midfield and defence starve their dangerous forwards of opportunities and shut them down when they do get if forward. Although I feel like victory will be hard to come by, I certainly don't think it is out of the question. I'll be there either way cheering them on.

Carn' the Tiges!

Re: The 2012 PREmier Fighting Tiger Award-Round 9 vs Hawthorn - VOTE HERE

3 - Tuck, 19 contested possessions
2 - Cotch, star
1- Rance, great job Alex, smashed the Bud!

3. Tuck
2. Foley
1. Cotch

Bit of a raffle today. Could have given votes to ten or twelve blokes.

3. Tuck
2. Reiwoldt
1. S...S... Shank :angel:

3 Tuck
2 I.Maric
1 Foley

Can't believe I left Lids Cotch and Dusty out of the votes after the each had over 30 disposals.

3. The Chimp ... Total champion
2. Tucky ...great tackles all day
1. Nathan Foley ..good all day, but so valuable in the 1st quarter.

A huge team effort.

3. Rance - Buddy Who ?
2. Tuck - Starting to develop a taste for humble pie because of this freak
1. Lottery time............. Chi...no...Fol.....no...I.Maric.

3. Cotchin
2. Foley
1. Maric

You could raffle lots of players: Deledio, Rance, Tuck, Edwards, Jack, Newman

vernissage said:
3. Cotchin
2. Foley
1. Maric

You could raffle lots of players: Deledio, Rance, Tuck, Edwards, Jack, Newman

Same

3- Tuck - never stopped today

2- Maric - most critical player in our resurgance

1- Morris - solely for his bravery

could have given every mid a vote, as well as Jack and Rance.

3 foley
2 cotch
1 tuck

3 - Eevan !
2- Tuck - Resign him now ! One more year. Just like his father he is blossoming late.
1- Cotchin

3. Ivan the Reliable
2. Cotch
1 Edwards

3 cotch
2 tucky
1. Ivan

tough one

ivan..

morris

jack

Hard game to vote on cause majority played so well...

3 - Tuck
2 - Lids
1 - Martin

special mentions to; Maric, Cotchin, Foley, Jack...to many to mention a great team effort....