2010 Federal election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2010 Federal election

As a result of the 2010 election, a hung parliament would:

• be a good thing - force the major parties to be more inclusive in policy-making

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • be a good lesson for the pollies, but is a bad thing for good governemnt.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lead to political instability and be a bad thing for the country

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
I don't really understand the implications or mechanics of a hung parliament and am not sure I really care either way. Cheese sandwich for me, possibly more out of ignorance than apathy. :don't know

rosy23 said:
I don't really understand the implications or mechanics of a hung parliament and am not sure I really care either way. Cheese sandwich for me, possibly more out of ignorance than apathy. :don't know

Devastating response to this poll, bit like the election really. ;D

Will we get electoral reform as Gillard has hinted at?
Will we get a policy-creative minority government with reduced input from backroom boys?
Will we get another election in a few months where voters will revert to the duopoly or
Is the multi-party geni well out of the bottle, with voters realising they don't HAVE to stick to Labor or the Liberals?

I don't think anyone knows what the upshot of the hung parliament will be. But at least the laborals have been reminded that there's an electorate out there who may object to their cosy little game of play the smallest target dictated by opinion polls.

I am very happy that neither of the main parties won.

After their appalling performances during the campaign, they both needed to realize that we see their glib policies as totally unconvincing.

happytige said:
I am very happy that neither of the main parties won.

After their appalling performances during the campaign, they both needed to realize that we see their glib policies as totally unconvincing.

thats nice, but what will we get instead? you think policy made by bribing and bartering for indi votes will be any better?

The biggest problem I see will be the independants using the negotiating power they have to get massive investments into their electorate, like Harradine did. Great for their locals, but not sure how well it will work for the rest of Australia.

What baffles me is how people were saying how bad the election campaign was from both Labor and Liberal.

Why was it any different to every other *smile* talking campaign both here and overseas?

The only difference i noticed was last time we had Kevin Rudd and his "working families" catch phrase who was going to change the world,and also in the US Barack Obama and his "Yes we can" catch phrase who was going to change the world.

So is the lack of catch phrases the reason why it was a bad election campaign?

r625704_4230346.jpg

michael roach said:
So is the lack of catch phrases the reason why it was a bad election campaign?

I don't think so. I felt that this campaign was the most negative I have witnessed. There was so little policy and vision and almost a complete focus on bagging each other. Of course this always happens to some extent, but it seemed to be the primary focus in this campaign.

The internet is a 'horn of plenty'. It always provides (at least until uberfuhrer Conroy gets his way).

evo said:
The internet is a 'horn of plenty'. It always provides (at least until uberfuhrer Conroy gets his way).

Someone is certainly quick off the mark.

well the comedy is under way :spin

after days of stability talk, they declare than based upon their negotiations, they have three options:

1) ALP
2) LNP
3) new election

looks like stability lasted a long time (although apparently they will not unite with either party if they are intent on an early election, so go figure)

they have 7 demands for the two parties, with only one being made public now (access to finance and treasury for info)

the other 6 demands will be listed after they meet Gillard and Abbott today. given the request for access to finance/treasury, why do I suspect the shopping list is being costed, not that they have a shopping list of course!! this is about stability and a new democracy that involves the people :rofl

I wonder if Bitar will manage the next ALP campaign if we go back to the polls.

Given that the cupboard on both sides would be fairly bare, I doubt we'll have another election.
I reckon the campaigns for this one would have stretched them

But it'd be great to have election campaigns with no advertising

I think the Gruen Nation should do an analysis of both parties and then let the viewers decide who wins.