2007 Draft 2 & 1/2 seasons on | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2007 Draft 2 & 1/2 seasons on

54 Essendon - Cale Hooker (East Fremantle)

Seems like a good pick. He has played a fare bit of footy for the bombers.

doherz said:
Although we got the chimp, the most damning fact there is the LACK of picks we had.

Definately.

So many players that just did not have any AFL ability should have been delisted to get us extra picks that might have unearthed a player.

Adam Pattison, Chris Hyde & JON were but 3.

Leysy Days said:
Definately.

So many players that just did not have any AFL ability should have been delisted to get us extra picks that might have unearthed a player.

too busy trading picks away for guns

idiots the lot of them seriously

Leysy Days said:
Definately.

For a rebuilding club 2007 was a disaster, particularly the Rookie draft - Collard, Silvestor, Howat, Cartledge (all retreads yet again)

I guess we are entitled to claim success with Cotchin and Morton but only two players of quality is well below par.

For this year to be considered a pass you would have to expect that Gourdis will become our regular fullback and Rance develops into a more complete player.

We also ended up with Mitch Farmer from this draft, even if it was two years later.

And he only cost us a dud.

skybeau said:
We also ended up with Mitch Farmer from this draft, even if it was two years later.

And he only cost us a dud.

I wouldn't include Farmer in the analysis, clearly he was part of the 2009 strategy which finally acknowledged the need to turnover sufficient players in order to unearth 4-5 regular senior players.

Hardwick looks to have done in his first year what Wallace failed to do at any stage, only 7 rounds into the season it's already looking like Nason, Astbury, and Martin will make the grade and if Griffiths comes on as expected, I dare say this will be our most successful recruiting effort in many years.

If any one of Farmer, Contin, Hicks or Roberts become regular players then that would be icing on the cake.

I reckon WC did well at pick 13.
Brad Ebert is a good young player on the rise, he's definately one to keep an eye on.

I believe that it is still too early to judge the 2007 draft.

There are too many from this draft list still yet yet to find their feet, yet still in the system.

Of our picks, Cotchin has already defined himself as a regular skilled junior footballer on the way up so, according to most criteria, was a very good early pick.

Rance, even as a tall, is getting a regular rotated game and many talls of his age taken in that draft, are yet to establish themselves.

Taylor of Geelong may very well have been taken by Richmond, had he lasted one more pick.

The interesting one was our missing regular 2nd round pick, which went to the Bulldogs for McMahon. I, too, fretted that lost pick.
Some have mentioned Callan Ward, others Scott Selwood. For me, it was an opportunity lost to gather ruck stocks in a draft pool that was considered quite thin. As a consequence, it put us under pressure to pick junior talls the following year, 2008, in a draft pool deep with very good midfielders. Dawson Simpson went unexpectedly early to Geelong at pick #34.

Dean Putt is an interesting one, as he is playing some good footy with Cleve Hughes up at Southport. Dean is positioning himself well to get an opportunity with the new Gold Coast team. It's up to him whether he makes it. Personally, Putt had good skills - marking, kicking & mobility - and, I believe, should have been given more time to develop. It is interesting that Geelong have persisted in developing Dawson Simpson.

BTW, just on Rioli, I can tell you that Francis Jackson had Rioli very much on his mind in the weeks leading up to the draft. My belief is that Cotchin was a very good pick at #2, although my personal favourite was Cale Morton, who got picked up at #4 by the Dees. That Rioli got picked up at #12 reflects more poorly on these clubs:
3 West Coast - Chris Masten (East Fremantle)
5 Western Bulldogs - Jarrad Grant (Dandenong Stingrays)
6 Essendon - David Myers (Perth)
11 Sydney - Patrick Veszpremi (Northern Knights)

For, 8 Brisbane Lions - Lachlan Henderson (Geelong Falcons) and
9 St Kilda - Ben McEvoy (Murray Bushrangers), well, Brisbane & StKilda did make strategic decisions to go tall. One might question Brisbane's decision to trade off Henderson, but both boys are developing quite well as junior talls.

On talls, it was interesting that James Wall is now listed on the shortlist of mature VFL players in focus for this year.
I very much wanted James Wall as a late pick back in 2005. I saw him very much in the mould of Scotty Turner, a very mobile 196cm player with good skills and could play in a variety of positions, including FB, but would take about 5 years to develop.
The view at the RFC was that we couldn't afford to spend 5 years developing a tall that was an outside chance of making it.
Just remember that it took 5-6 years of Scotty Turner developing at Collingwood, Melbourne & Richmond before he eventually made it as a respected FB, until a poorly treated knee sist cut him down early.

Good talls do take time.
And two and a half years is too early to make judgements on juniors in the AFL system.
Especially when we are seeing the mid to late picks of 2004/05 only becoming regular players now.

combination of Morton and Grimes looks pretty good.

Unfortuantley one player from a draft for us (Cotchin) does not make for a sucessful year of recruiting. Although not totaly giviung up on Rance playing a tough FP role eg like a Campbell Brown for Hawthorn.

ROUND 4
51 Richmond - Dean Putt (Calder aAnnons)
52 Brisbane Lions - Brad Dalziell (East Fremantle)
53 Melbourne - Kyle Cheney (North Ballarat Rebels)
54 Essendon - Cale Hooker (East Fremantle)

Bugger!