Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

I don't want to lose Baker but we need to aim to arm ourselves with a list which can finish back in the top 4.

We are a long way off that at the moment and if we don't give our selves some chance of such a result over the next 2-3 years, we will stay at the bottom as Tasmania sucks the top of the draft list dry, following next seasons draft.

Below are a couple of possibilities.

At this point we stand some chance this year of picks 2 and 20, plus 2 more seconds 1 from Fremantle and one possibly for Graham.
Should Baker (plus Broad) wish to make their way back West .. and if the interest is high enough, we should be seeking a top 6 pick, otherwise aim to keep.
Graham depending on his contract offer, might also bring in compensation behind our early second rounder?

Thereafter we will have three thirds (hopefully to trade), and I'd also like to see us try and trade Hopper.
If he can recover fitness and play on in the second half of this season without further hindrance, he together with those thirds at current value, might be offered to a pick hungry team like success starved Brisbane? Could that get us anywhere near Brisbane's 1st .. on current values that would value Hopper at around pick 27.

We look likely to finish bottom 3 this year. If the above came to pass we would be set up pretty well as we approach 2025. Throw in a few more mature bodies and further draft success in '25, and a top 4 finish in the few years beyond becomes a strong possibility.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve heard Baker wants to sign a 10 year deal possibly either in the NBA or the NFL.
If he doesn’t get one from either he’ll sign a shorter contract in the afl. Unless another club offers longer contract. Or a shorter contract for more money. Not more money than the NBA or the NFL. But more money… oh *smile* if I know

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
There's a 50% chance he's going to leave Richmond and a 50% chance he's going to stay.

If he does leave there's a 50% chance he'll go to the Eagles and a 50% chance he'll go to Fremantle. And a 50% chance he'll go somewhere else.

You can bank on it! You heard it here first!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I don't want to lose Baker but we need to aim to arm ourselves with a list which can finish back in the top 4.

We are a long way off that at the moment and if we don't give our selves some chance of such a result over the next 2-3 years, we will stay at the bottom as Tasmania sucks the top of the draft list dry, following next seasons draft.

Below are a couple of possibilities.

At this point we stand some chance this year of picks 2 and 20, plus 2 more seconds 1 from Fremantle and one possibly for Graham.
Should Baker (plus Broad) wish to make their way back West .. and if the interest is high enough, we should be seeking a top 6 pick, otherwise aim to keep.
Graham depending on his contract offer, might also bring in compensation behind our early second rounder?

Thereafter we will have three thirds (hopefully to trade), and I'd also like to see us try and trade Hopper.
If he can recover fitness and play on in the second half of this season without further hindrance, he together with those thirds at current value, might be offered to a pick hungry team like success starved Brisbane? Could that get us anywhere near Brisbane's 1st .. on current values that would value Hopper at around pick 27.

We look likely to finish bottom 3 this year. If the above came to pass we would be set up pretty well as we approach 2025. Throw in a few more mature bodies and further draft success in '25, and a top 4 finish in the few years beyond becomes a strong possibility.
You'd like to get rid of Hopper and then bring in mature bodies?

You know we'd just lose everyway on that.
We'd get lower calibre footballers in replacement for Hopps.
We'd prob pay part salary so take the hit there.
And Brisbane want draft points for the f/s Ashcroft. So a trade for pick 6 will include late picks.

Reactions: 1 users

And Brisbane want draft points for the f/s Ashcroft. So a trade for pick 6 will include late picks.
Hopper’s in the 2nd year of a 7 year contract. No one would think of trading him, we’d have to pay someone else to even do the deal at this point.

Reactions: 1 user

Just to elaborate on the ‘mature bodies’, we have done very well with vfl recruits Young and Felau, with I hope Mutaz El Nour, just around the corner.. interestingly all KPP’s.

But our midfield can’t keep up. There is a
level of sameness about even a fit Hopper, and Taranto in terms of the absence of elite speed with both struggling in that area. Both together imo are one too many in the same midfield with Shai the only elite midfielder currently on our list.

We have tall’s Balta, Falau and for a bit longer Lynch, and potentially Ryan and Gibcus forward, and Miller and Young (and potentially Gibcus) back.

We should be heavily focused on drafting elite speedsters who can play both inside and outside at this draft and trading Hopper would help. I agree on the salary bit, but 5 more years of Hopper spells ..

Last edited: