Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

John Ralph mouth 'Richmond is LIKELY to get a END of the 1st round pick""

Thats not actually what he said though is it. He said "back half of the first round", which evidently is probably about right. The talk of a top 10 was if the mooted $5m over 5 years from West Coast was real. He wouldn't get that much at Freo, I'd guess somewhere around $800k.

Ralph also suggests "a pick between 9-18 would be the starting point in negotiations".

So I guess potentially could be something like Pick 11 straight, or maybe one of their later picks, maybe we get Ports 1st which would be around 15, plus Freos 2nd in 2025 and we give them back a 3rd this year (probably their own back).

Then on trade their 2025 2nd, our 2025 2nd and a little bit extra in 2024 for 1 of GC's 1sts.

Give up Baker, a 2025 2nd and 2 3rds and end up with Pick 15 and Pick 8. I'd do those deals if Bakes wants out.

Trade the other later picks up to either Brisbane or Carlton, and wham bam, we have a top 3 pick, pick 8 and 2 picks in the teens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does the Media go after any other club like Richmond? What's too say Bakes wants to go?

Yeah. We actually haven’t had a really highly valued player traded out for a long time. Higgins, Butler, Soldo were all not regular senior players when they left.

If it happens it will be interesting to see how hard we would play with a highly valued player like Bakes.
You would think that given his game
and our lack of players with his level of commitment, that we should go very hard in both directions I.e to keep him or if that fails to be rewarded at an appropriate level.
Nothing less than a top 5 pick and if the successful bidder doesn’t have such a pick, it’s first round pick and future 1st in return for Baker and our future 2nd or Broad.
(At a squeeze both Broad and the future
2nd).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Worth noting wa fans are paranoid about losing their Victorian players back to Victoria, and rarely get a chance to nab a decent player willing to move back. Most players from WA are happy to live in the Melbourne footy bubble. They will pay well to get Baker.

Spent the last four years working over there. It's a quirky footy culture.

You would think that given his game
and our lack of players with his level of commitment, that we should go very hard in both directions I.e to keep him or if that fails to be rewarded at an appropriate level.
Nothing less than a top 5 pick and if the successful bidder doesn’t have such a pick, it’s first round pick and future 1st in return for Baker and our future 2nd or Broad.
(At a squeeze both Broad and the future
2nd).
Broad is a heart and soul, salt of the earth clubman, he's not the steak knives to sweeten a deal for Baker.
If they want Bakes, they pay full freight.

Reactions: 8 users
We should have a fair bit of cash freed up at season's end with other retirements.

Love Bakes, but I'm unsure as to what would be a reasonable amount to offer to him to remain.

Is he worth 1 mil a year? More? Less? What would be our cut off point?

Reactions: 1 user
Love Bakes, but I'm unsure as to what would be a reasonable amount to offer to him to remain.

He is a ripper but he isn't a million dollar player.
Don't blame him if he does go because that's crazy money

No he's not. Primarily because he's not a full time midfielder.
No idea what he'd be paid now tbh but I think he's about 700k. Maybe a bit more than that.

Just accept it, Baker is gone. I don't blame him, this is a pathetic club right now. If he wants to go home I don't blame him.
Clear the decks! Hopefully Prestia, Grimes, Dusty follow.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Man im happy to drive him to the airport for any first round pick
And dan rioli too for another first rounder
Short and graham can uber it to whereever they can for second rounders
Prestia grimes dusty can sail off into sunset

Gives us
3 firsts
3 seconds
Free up $2.5 easily too

Package eveything else for another first making it 4 firsts
If the football gods have totally left punt road and we 🥄

Then package the worst first rounder and 2 seconds for hopefully another top 5 pick

1 ,5 ,14-17,25 is looking like a monster hand
Plus pick 1 PSD which we use to buy who think is worth it

this is smart business
Next year weed out the remaining dead wood hopefully win few games another draft and free agent

2026 back

• Dislike
Package eveything else for another first making it 4 firsts
If the football gods have totally left punt road and we 🥄

Then package the worst first rounder and 2 seconds for hopefully another top 5 pick
Maybe just a can to many here?
First you want to package everything else for an extra first round pick, but then you want to package the worst first rounder plus two no longer existent second round picks for a top five pick. Derrrr, you already sold those second rounders earlier.

• Haha