VFL state side v SANFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL state side v SANFL

WAFL squad to take on the SANFL on May 19. Ex Tiger Fraser Turner and potential MSD options Jack Mayo and Jasper Scaife in the squad.

WA STATE SQUAD

Jacob Blight Peel Thunder
Hamish Brayshaw East Perth
Jye Chalcraft Swan Districts
Greg Clark Subiaco
Regan Clarke Perth
Mitch Crowden East Perth
Cam Eardley East Fremantle
Oliver Eastland Claremont
Thomas Edwards Swan Districts
Zac Guadagnin West Perth
Jed Hagan East Fremantle
Scott Jones East Perth
Matthew Jupp East Fremantle
Tyler Keitel West Perth
Harrison Macreadie East Perth
Jack Mayo Subiaco
Luke Meadows West Perth
Milan Murdock East Fremantle
Matthew Parker South Fremantle
Chad Pearson South Fremantle
Noah Pegoraro West Perth
Bailey Rogers Claremont
Nik Rokahr Swan Districts
Trey Ruscoe West Coast Eagles
Jasper Scaife West Perth
Angus Schumacher East Perth
Angus Scott East Perth
Jack Sears Peel Thunder
Michael Sellwood Peel Thunder
Ben Sokol Subiaco
Brynn Teakle East Fremantle
Fraser Turner East Fremantle
Jesse Turner Swan Districts
Stan Wright East Perth

Reactions: 1 user
could always recruit Schumacher to join a forward line of Mansell & Coulthard

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This is not State of Origin though. Its league vs league, so original state is irrelevant.
Jason Dunstall was different.
A desperate and scared vfl
Totally understand that. Still an interesting parallel.

I absolutely realise Southport is playing in the VFL but this element does make rep footy seem rather pointless in any sort of emotional underpinning. Simply a sterile development game of no meaning. Hence why it doesn’t make it any less absurd in my view.

When I was a kid growing up in Tasmania there was quite a lot of rep footy that went on (as opposed to state of origin, which we also did see Tasmania finally get included in just before it went into terminal decline).

Saw Tasmanian rep team (essentially TFL rep team) regularly play Queensland (essentially QAFL), the VFA, the ACT. Even saw them play SA (SANFL rep side) and WA (WAFL Rep side). Luckily at that point, not many Tasmanian s playing in the SANFL to complicate loyalties.

I wonder if QLD were to play rep footy again now, whether the VFL powers that be, would allow those Southport players to be released to play for QLD, as a common sense work around to the anomaly that a QLD team is playing in the VFL.

Last edited:
This is not State of Origin though. Its league vs league, so original state is irrelevant.
Jason Dunstall was different.
A desperate and scared vfl
State of Origin eligibility was decidedly rubbery. Remember a 21-year from Wagga named Wayne something leading SA to victory over Victoria in 1992. That was after he'd helped NSW beat Victoria in 1990, but before he played for NSW/ACT in 1993. Roger Merrett captained both Victoria and Queensland. (I think anyone playing for the Bears who didn't get picked for their home state got a Qld jersey.)

State of Origin eligibility was decidedly rubbery. Remember a 21-year from Wagga named Wayne something leading SA to victory over Victoria in 1992. That was after he'd helped NSW beat Victoria in 1990, but before he played for NSW/ACT in 1993. Roger Merrett captained both Victoria and Queensland. (I think anyone playing for the Bears who didn't get picked for their home state got a Qld jersey.)
Carey also played Teal cup for Victoria!

IMG_0498.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Darren Pritchard and Graeme Wright both lined up for VIC state of origin in the years immediately preceding Tasmania being permitted to field a state of origin side. In no way any affiliation to Victoria in their formative years.

At least with Carey, one could make an argument (perhaps a weak one) that he could be eligible for more than one state, due to growing up and playing across a couple in his formative years.

In my opinion the rubbery and inconsistently applied eligibility rules certainly didn’t help the state of origin concept. Probably contributed to its demise.

Needed to be that if you grew up across a few jurisdictions (such as a bloke like Nathan Buckley). On selection in your first senior club match, you need to nominate the State you are tied to for SOO and that cannot be changed without sitting out 4 years (like how some International sports work).

For example, a bloke like Nick Riewoldt is in the QLD and Tasmanian team of the century. But I can guarantee which state he would have nominated to play SOO under such a system. He in no way feels a QLDer. His identity is Tasmanian through and through.

Reactions: 2 users
ELigibity rules were rubbery and manipulated for desperate administrators.
And made some wins a mockery (hello Dunstall and Lockett in the same forward line, but what a crowd!)
But a great concept and in the 80s a great concept.

With the protection of players and better care for long term injuries we should bring it back

Rules were rubbery because the format kept changing. Often it was only Vic v SA or WA. So to allow Queenslanders/Tasmanians or NTerritorians to experience SOO they could play elsewhere. But obviously then when those states had a team those guys needed to play for them.

Greg Inglis is from Kempsey, played SOO for Queensland.
Relates to my point about someone like Nick Riewoldt.

Began life and junior footy in Tasmania. Moved to QLD on the cusp of high school I believe. Played his teen footy in QLD. In the hypothetical situation that SOO made a comeback or existed during his career. One could argue that given the majority of his pre-senior footy was in QLD, he should be only eligible for QLD. But part of the reason concepts like SOO are so great is that it’s more than just rules on paper. It has emotion, passion, a sense of identity and belonging all intertwined. Hence why I say, Nick wouldn’t have wanted to play SOO for anyone else, than Tasmania. He makes that part of his identity crystal clear in much of his writing.

It’s why I say, if someone grew up playing junior and under age footy across a couple of jurisdictions. I think you should qualify for both, but can nominate just one and be then tied to them.

I wonder if that’s how Rugby League do it. Because Inglis moved to QLD at 15 and played all his youth footy from that point onwards in QLD.

Relates to my point about someone like Nick Riewoldt.

Began life and junior footy in Tasmania. Moved to QLD on the cusp of high school I believe. Played his teen footy in QLD. In the hypothetical situation that SOO made a comeback or existed during his career. One could argue that given the majority of his pre-senior footy was in QLD, he should be only eligible for QLD. But part of the reason concepts like SOO are so great is that it’s more than just rules on paper. It has emotion, passion, a sense of identity and belonging all intertwined. Hence why I say, Nick wouldn’t have wanted to play SOO for anyone else, than Tasmania. He makes that part of his identity crystal clear in much of his writing.

It’s why I say, if someone grew up playing junior and under age footy across a couple of jurisdictions. I think you should qualify for both, but can nominate just one and be then tied to them.

I wonder if that’s how Rugby League do it. Because Inglis moved to QLD at 15 and played all his youth footy from that point onwards in QLD.
Did a bit more research.

Seems Greg Inglis’s selection for QLD was actually a bit of an integrity killer for the SOO concept.

And more strict criteria now is in force. Even Lottii Tuqueri would possibly even be ineligible to play SOO for either state under the new criteria. As he didn’t arrive in Australia (in QLD) until he was well into his teens.