Uni slaughter in the U.S.A | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Uni slaughter in the U.S.A

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Just to change the tune from our doom and gloom of our beloved tigers to something else which is alot for surreal.

I woke up this morning the crazy hour of 5.00am to go for my daily run and i was hoping to watch some of the cricket upon my return as today is my day off.

When i switched on the t.v and saw the above headline i just couldnt believe it. Again i said to myself. This just cant keep happening.

For those families who have lost children(32) we have been told have died and many more in hospital fighting for their lives. My heart goes out to those parents, families and loved ones.

We cannot comprehend something like this even though the port arthur massacre comes close.

I dont understand the reaction of authorities to send out an email?

I dont understand that it took many hours for action while the gunman was elsewhere killing others?

What a waste of life. Those poor souls.

The gunman took his own life it has been reported- the easy way out.

Details are few .

What upsets me is the presidents words" that we have the right to bear arms" . I find this appaling statement. No wonder the world we live in is in trouble in more ways than one. No one has the right to bear arms. We have a right of freedom of speach but to bear a gunto make it so easy to obtain well these things will continue to plague our world and of America.

I guess it will not be long before we have copycats here but i am glad our laws are much stricter but i know if you want to get a hold of a weapon as such i guess you could.

Just a sad day!

gt

I am so glad we don't have the same culture here yet (because I believe it will come, if you don't look after the people, they start doing weird things)

It is true what they say about it is not guns that kill people but people that kill people (maybe not enough health care, support for people with problems etc.).

If you have not watched "bowling for columbine" I suggest you do, there are many countries that have similar amounts of weapons yet don't have the problems the US does.

feisty tige said:
I am so glad we don't have the same culture here yet (because I believe it will come, if you don't look after the people, they start doing weird things)

It is true what they say about it is not guns that kill people but people that kill people (maybe not enough health care, support for people with problems etc.).

If you have not watched "bowling for columbine" I suggest you do, there are many countries that have similar amounts of weapons yet don't have the problems the US does.

From what I understand Canada actually has a higher rate of gun ownership than the US but has a siginificantly less incidents.

This is a very sad incident. It should also be remembered that equally tragic incidents are happening on a daily basis to Iraqi civilians who are innocent vicitms of sectarian violence.

True, there are so many wrongs happening around the world.

It saddens what state we are going to leave this world to our kids and kids children once we depart this earth.

Too much focus and money is spent on warfare than trying to make this world so much of a better place for the people we will leave behind.

gt

waiting said:
True, there are so many wrongs happening around the world.

It saddens what state we are going to leave this world to our kids and kids children once we depart this earth.

Too much focus and money is spent on warfare than trying to make this world so much of a better place for the people we will leave behind.

gt

Exactly.
Go and tell Bin Laden, the Iranians, and a few others out there who use violence as the only means.

On the topic of guns.
People should be able to carry a gun, if they want.....it is no more of a weapon than a lunatic driving at 150km/h along a road.
Are we going to have a car amnesty, or ban cars, because of hoons out there?
No.

The gun amnesty that we had here after the Port Arthur massacre...all that did was eradicate arms from legitimate shooters out there (like a couple of my uncles) who have always used guns in a responsible manner, had them locked away, as well as the ammo in a separate locker....and had licenses and everything, and were in a shooting-club.
The criminals out there will always be able to get a gun on the black market or wherever.....banning guns, bringing in legislation, or a gun amnesty only hurts the legitimate users, not the criminals.

Liverpool said:
On the topic of guns.
People should be able to carry a gun, if they want.....it is no more of a weapon than a lunatic driving at 150km/h along a road.
No.

Liverpool,my car may be able to travel at 150, but its designed to get me from A to B
Whereas my gun is designed to shoot people.

Michael said:
Liverpool said:
On the topic of guns.
No.

Liverpool,my car may be able to travel at 150, but its designed to get me from A to B

Really?
My uncles guns were designed to shoot 'targets'....they've never shot a person in their lives.
But hey, they don't have their guns anymore, but I'm sure the 'next Bryant' is out there with his gun, ready to go.

You car may be designed to to travel from A to B...but in the wrong hands, it is as deadly as a gun.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/02/16/1171405402410.html?from=top5

I'll stick to my earlier comments...that gun banning, or gun amnesties, only hurt the legitimate owners out there, not the criminals.

Liverpool said:
Michael said:
Liverpool said:
On the topic of guns.
No.

Really?
My uncles guns were designed to shoot 'targets'....they've never shot a person in their lives.
But hey, they don't have their guns anymore, but I'm sure the 'next Bryant' is out there with his gun, ready to go.

You car may be designed to to travel from A to B...but in the wrong hands, it is as deadly as a gun.

I'll stick to my earlier comments...that gun banning, or gun amnesties, only hurt the legitimate owners out there, not the criminals.
Liverpool
I have owned 11 cars, not one of these cars killed

Michael said:
I have owned 11 cars, not one of these cars killed

My uncles have owned dozens of guns, and none have killed either.

The link in my previous post, was about a driver, who deliberately (or drugged out of his mind) used his car as a weapon to kill.
Also this one:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/02/22/1171733888656.html?from=top5

But we do not call for banning cars, or car amnesties, due to idiots out there who deliberately use their car as a weapon.

The same should be said of guns.
Why should law-abiding citizens be banned from using guns (or certain styles of guns) due to a small minority of idiots who deliberately used a gun to slaughter innocent people?

Thats all I am saying.

Gun amnesties and banning guns = garbage!

Liverpool said:
On the topic of guns.
They can't be as similar as you think, Livers. Let's try reversing what you said and see if it rings true...
People should be allowed to drive 150km/h, it is no more of a weapon than a gun.

:p

Liverpool said:
Michael said:
Liverpool said:
On the topic of guns.
No.

Really?

Agree in part, it's the actions of a few that affect the responsible majority.

However gun ownership can prompt severely stressed or unstable individuals to take a course of action they would not otherwise consider.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Agree in part, it's the actions of a few that affect the responsible majority.

However gun ownership can prompt severely stressed or unstable individuals to take a course of action they would not otherwise consider.

Same with a car LeeRaines:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/murdersuicide-revenge-of-a-jilted-husband/2007/03/31/1174761817961.html

Curtis E Bear said:
Liverpool said:
On the topic of guns.
They can't be as similar as you think, Livers. Let's try reversing what you said and see if it rings true...
People should be allowed to drive 150km/h, it is no more of a weapon than a gun.

:p

People driving at 150km/h would be the same as me firing my gun randomly across Bourke Street Mall.
Both are acts of "russian roulette" with the potential to kill.

Errr....So...I guess it's ok to carry a gun then? Y'know, seeing as you could speed in your car, while drunk, if you wanted to...You should be able to carry a gun!

Unless you live on a farm or you're a cop, firing a gun is a crime in just about any situation. What's the point of letting people carry them?

Disco08 said:
Unless you live on a farm or you're a cop, firing a gun is a crime in just about any situation. What's the point of letting people carry them?

I was more talking about in America....things are a little different over there, compared to here.

Plus its in their constitution:

http://www.constitution.org/mil/rkba1982.htm

How much different are the gun laws there? Can you legally carry a gun on the street?