Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
And the tv stations like to see a crowd in attendance. If there were 30,000 seats empty and people were all outside, I’m sure the media would want to know why.
If there one thing the afl don’t like is to see themselves embarrassed on the National stage
With AI being such a fancy big thing now. I'm sure they could imprint a full house crowd onto the broadcast coverage of every game if they wished. No more tarps over seats to pretend a ground is full. No more empty expensive lower tier level seats at Marvelarse stadium when #Lolnorf are playing the Frockers or Mold Coast n only 10,000 fans turn up.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

50's like this a so frustrating.

I assume it was paid because Bolton slightly touched him, didn't change anything about his movement, didn't hamper him at all, but 50m paid as he wasn't in the original contest.

Meanwhile, Dusty marks a ball inside 50, his man who was trailing him inside 50 and didn't compete in the marking contest, grabs on to him and won't let go, stopping him from playing on, but that ones all good.

I just don't get what we are doing with 50's in the game.

Reactions: 14 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
But if you mention that to the media.
Bolton grab him after taking the mark.
But I have lost count how many times our players are pushed over, slammed into after taking a mark but never get a 50.
And don't worry about Standing when you have a mark. Jump move dance its all allowed.

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Fken coward's
Scared to lose there jobs if they don't screw us.
You could see early on in the 3rd we weren't going to get any paid and we were going to reamed.
The ball hits the boundary umpire (dumb *smile*)
The ball bounces back in turns into a go for the Melbourne kid.
But the AFL said that was ok.
Imagine if Collingwood or Carlton copped the same. Front page news, every footy show would be going over it.

Just fken Boooo from the start to the end of the game.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
50's like this a so frustrating.

I assume it was paid because Bolton slightly touched him, didn't change anything about his movement, didn't hamper him at all, but 50m paid as he wasn't in the original contest.

Meanwhile, Dusty marks a ball inside 50, his man who was trailing him inside 50 and didn't compete in the marking contest, grabs on to him and won't let go, stopping him from playing on, but that ones all good.

I just don't get what we are doing with 50's in the game.
That happens at almost every marking contest. Players swapping roles on mark. Players just trying to impede/delay their opponent. Most players get 3 or 4 warnings to get back. Never seen one paid so quick. A bit like the Houli HTB penalty after a touched call and the Broad deliberate rushing free I doubt there will be another paid like that. The Sydney non free after the siren. The ARC farce. Why is it always the tigers that fall on the wrong side of these things. (Adelaide has a claim to be 2nd here).

Shai is crucified for past indiscretions. Nank is crucified for being aggressive. Baker is crucified for being small.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
That happens at almost every marking contest. Players swapping roles on mark. Players just trying to impede/delay their opponent. Most players get 3 or 4 warnings to get back. Never seen one paid so quick. A bit like the Houli HTB penalty after a touched call and the Broad deliberate rushing free I doubt there will be another paid like that. The Sydney non free after the siren. The ARC farce. Why is it always the tigers that fall on the wrong side of these things. (Adelaide has a claim to be 2nd here).

Shai is crucified for past indiscretions. Nank is crucified for being aggressive. Baker is crucified for being small.
All part of the plan. Latest entry is that Baker is getting Ginnivan'd.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
With AI being such a fancy big thing now. I'm sure they could imprint a full house crowd onto the broadcast coverage of every game if they wished. No more tarps over seats to pretend a ground is full.
No more tarps????? :mad::mad::mad:

Fkn AI. I won't be able to post this as a reminder :mad::mad::mad:

• Love

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
They are making any sort of win impossible now.
We were able to ride the 50 metre penalties and *smile* free kicks against when we were good.
They got us in the final in 2020 but we were good enough to get past that.
But in 2022 they torched us and we have never recovered and now they just take the steam out of any resistance we have.
The non free kick to Baker and the push in the back by Pickett was a disgrace considering there's 4 of them on the ground.
Not sure Fisher has paid us a free kick this year. And he has umpired the Melbourne Stkilda and I think the Carlton game.
I said it on the game day thread, I have never seen that prick give us a free kick, ever!

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Listening to BT on a podcast.
He said he was on 99 goals and he just did his groin.
And The umpire Carey was related to David Cloke. So he paid a down the ground free kick to Taylor, (no one knew what it was for including Danny frawley who was playing on Taylor) he kicks the goal.
His 100th goal of the season 4th Collingwood player ever to kick 100.
But after the game, BT caught up with the umpires and he asked what was that free kick for? And Carey said I had $10 on you 80-1 to kick 100.
Corrupt fks

• Haha

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
That flog standing behind the behind post deliberately stuck his leg out to keep the ball in play for the Demons. The ball didn't hit his leg accidentally while standing still. He stuck his leg out. Why is that all OK from this corrupt league????

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We should be unfurling signs at the ground with these stats, questioning how the hell it can happen.

Maybe this is what we need to do, it is getting ridiculous and the club won't do anything and the media are owned by the AFL and thick as 2 planks anyway.

DS

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

Former longtime AFL umpire Steve McBurney was announced as the new umpires boss on April 2​

This article is 5 months old. So it looks like Dan Richardson got moved on from his position of umpires boss back then.

AFL, AFLW greats join league’s footy department amid behind-the-scenes umpiring reshuffle​

Ed Bourke from Nca Newswire
December 21st, 2023 4:48 pm

Recently retired AFL stars Joel Selwood and Erin Phillips have been added to the league’s football department amid sweeping changes which include a move for umpires to report to a new boss in 2024.

Current umpires boss Dan Richardson has been moved on from the role in a restructure of the department, with former Essendon football boss Josh Mahoney to take over the portfolio with a “head of officiating” to work under him.

The league will carry out a search to fill the new position, while Richardson will become coaching engagement officer and serve as a liaison between AFL and AFLW mentors and the league administration.
Mahoney quit his role at Essendon mid-season before joining a new-look football department led by executive general manager of football operations Laura Kane.
Selwood and Phillips will fill roles focused on the “on-field football product” and “player engagement”, a league statement released on Thursday said.

“I am so pleased that we have secured the knowledge, insight and experience of two of our games most respected leaders to work within our footy department,” Kane said.

“Erin and Joel’s on-field achievements speak for themselves; I am very much looking forward to them joining our recent appointments in Josh Mahoney and Geoff Walsh and making an immediate impact to our broader AFL football operations team.”

The changes to how umpires are governed comes after a string of controversial incidents during the season, with inconsistent interpretations of the league’s dissent rule and issues with the goal review system, including a disastrous decision in round 23 which cost Adelaide a finals spot, frustrating fans and commentators.
The new head of officiating would be responsible for umpiring across all competitions including the state leagues and talent pathways, and take charge of the ARC system, the statement said.

Umpiring general manager Lisa Lawry will shift to a position focused on bringing more women into the umpiring ranks, and will be in charge of finding an umpiring performance centre to develop officials.

“Lisa has done a fantastic job in creating environments and pathway programs dedicated for women and girls to start and progress in umpiring,” Kane said.

“Her new role will amplify and promote this important focus area for us.

“As we continue to invest in high performance training for our umpires, we are investing the possibility of a new dedicated facility in which Lisa will lead this work, with the end goal providing the best facilities available to umpires or officials in the country.”

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Joel Selwood as part of overseeing the game?

We're f**cked, truly f**cked.

His on field achievements include drawing high contact free kicks, flopping etc so what sort of game do they envisage? After Selwood admitted he shrugged to get frees surely that should have disqualified him from any role which involves the "on field product" (Newspeak for our game).

What a mess.

DS

Reactions: 11 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Joel Selwood as part of overseeing the game?

We're f**cked, truly f**cked.

His on field achievements include drawing high contact free kicks, flopping etc so what sort of game do they envisage? After Selwood admitted he shrugged to get frees surely that should have disqualified him from any role which involves the "on field product" (Newspeak for our game).

What a mess.

DS
It’s a totally f up world nowadays where the absurd becomes common practice. Logic is out the door. Illogic is in.

Reactions: 4 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Does AFL ever right size their organisation?

Incompetence justs gets moved into a newly created bs role.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users