Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Just watching AFL360 and they show a clip of Melbourne training, an FMD Clayton Oliver's handballs even during training are full on 2 hand throws.
They should have had some umpires there too to continue practising to ignore it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Watching the Carlton Collingwood game, and the adjudication of the mark. The stand rule is structurally flawed to point where I don't think its actually possible to police it logically and consistently. I don't blame the umps at all, but they are chasing their tails, winging it. They take their cues off the player:

If the player stands, they say stand.
If the player starts to move back they say outside 5.
If the player hesitates then moves back they say 'st....outside 5'.
Quite a few times they have been bewildered, again I don't really blame them, fast play, lot of players in area, they sort of mumble something under their breath. 'st.outside play on...'

The rule is very difficult if not impossible to adjudicate, but they are also being particularly reactive and lax tonight. A lot of saying stand after the player wanders a couple of metres over the mark and points to the ground, lot of allowing players to handover the marks very late. As I write this, ump says 'back 2 metres', Coll player on mark does not move a muscle, ump says stand!

Reactions: 7 users
Watching the Carlton Collingwood game, and the adjudication of the mark. The stand rule is structurally flawed to point where I don't think its actually possible to police it logically and consistently. I don't blame the umps at all, but they are chasing their tails, winging it. They take their cues off the player:

Quite a few times they have been bewildered, again I don't really blame them, fast play, lot of players in area, they sort of mumble something under their breath. 'st.outside play on...'

The rule is very difficult if not impossible to adjudicate, but they are also being particularly reactive and lax tonight. A lot of saying stand after the player wanders a couple of metres over the mark and points to the ground, lot of allowing players to handover the marks very late. As I write this, ump says 'back 2 metres', Coll player on mark does not move a muscle, ump says stand!

Absolute shambles isn't it?

Plus the number of players who go off their line to kick for goal and the player on the mark can no longer respond . . . what a mess.

Holding the man was rife tonight, at stoppages players had no chance to try and get the ball because they were all holding each other. Makes for a very ugly game.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Standing on the mark was largely unnescessary to police before all the new rules. Players would crib a bit but not too much. One or two meters either way doesn't really matter when you take a mark on the wing.

And if they are going to have the stupid stand rule can they at least turn the *smile* ump's mics off.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd just like to see them call play on when the player with the ball goes more than 1mm off their line. This rule is BS, we all know it, but it can't work if play on is not called immediately when a player goes off their line.

DS

I have no idea what the rules/ interpretation around holding the ball are now. It is complete *smile* up imo

The grey areas in the interpretations allow the Umpires to orchestrate the moment changes that win or lose games. It's all a reality TV show now... The AFL themselves are controlling it behind the scenes. Sadly, everything is about the TV audience now....

What the actual f is going on with this. Half thinking of abandoning any attendance or financial support unless the club comes out and publically calls out this c**p

Reactions: 4 users
As usual when there’s criticism of the application of a rule, they immediately over correct and make the original problem even worse.

I'm at the game just plain cheating. Disgusting plain cheating. There were 4 frees to us in a row on the members flank - zero paid.

• Angry
Umpiring has got even worse since Selwood retired. Who woulda thought?

The maggots must miss that head ducking fraud telling them what’s a free kick every week

Time and again we are on the wrong end of dubious decisions by the umps whilst the opposition seem to get the rub of the green. If only all teams would be umpired equally

It’s so disheartening at the ground. We aren’t that good to start with at the moment and the umpires made absolutely sure of it when we were in with a chance. You take it once but match on match and year on year outside of finals we are on the end of it.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users
11 Frees For. Another one missed. *smile* cheats. No wonder our players are getting frustrated. *smile* cheating midget twerp maggots. *smile* you AFL

Reactions: 3 users
It should have been Millers free. He dragged Miller down on top of himself. Donlon watched it from 10m away. He paid the free to Amiss and pointed to 50 as soon as their was wrestling. Cheating twerp.

Reactions: 4 users