Top 50 Draft prospects 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Top 50 Draft prospects 2018

29. Fraser Turner
Tasmania/Allies
Rebounding Defender / Outside Midfielder
Height: 186cm Weight: 77kg

7YXlaTH.jpg

Player Projection: Andrew McGrath

It’s pretty high praise to be lumping Turner with a former number 1 pick but I see many similarities with their game style that causes me to draw such parallels. Whilst I don’t think Turner is quite in the athletic realm of McGrath he does have excellent endurance & good pace so could easily fulfill the roles that Andy has been given in his first two years. Having averaged 24 disposals at the state carnival there’s also similarities with their respective output, the fact that he prefers to kick another feather in the cap. Turner is highly unlikely to scale the heights of McGrath but if I were to pick a role model this would be it, at pick 29 even a 75% version would be just fine.

30. Kieren Briggs
GWS Academy/Allies
Ruckman
Height: 200cm Weight: 103kg

md0Zxkg.jpg

Player Projection: Toby Nankervis

Briggs is a beast, much like our own Widow Maker he uses his weight & burly frame to maximum advantage. He won’t necessarily win a ton of hit outs at AFL level but he will do damage around the ground & will take plenty of big grabs behind the play. Briggs also has an outstanding workrate, this saw him take out the Allies MVP award & has enabled him to play reserves for GWS for two straight seasons. Best pure ruckman in the draft by a country mile.

31. Connor McFadyen
Brisbane Academy/Allies
Tall Midfielder/Medium Forward
Height: 190cm Weight: 81 kg

MdcCbEy.jpg

Player Projection: Steve Johnson

If one was to make a montage of all McFadyen’s highlights then you could feasibly pull off something approaching Steve Johnson, that would entail some deft editing because Connor rarely pulls it together in any singular play. He might scoop the ball up in one hand & then deliver a mongrel helicopter punt in the next motion. That’s pretty much the challenge that Brisbane faces but if they are able to weld all his skills together they will have a very handy footballer on their hands. Being totally realistic I think the biggest challenge facing Connor will be sorting his kicking out, at the moment he doesn’t seem to have much poise but most of his other skills stand up to scrutiny, particularly his overhead marking. Another boom/bust type but at pick 31 I think worth rolling the dice.

32. Ned McHenry
Geelong Falcons/Victoria Country
Small Forward
Height: 178 cm Weight: 71 kg

EVYdb4w.jpg

Player Projection: Jarryd Blair

For sheer pressure & work rate there are few players who even come close to McHenry, he averaged a staggering 9.5 tackles at state level & still managed a healthy 15 possessions. Given his tank is elite & pressure forwards are in vogue you’d expect his stocks to be fairly high at this point. For a mid second round pick I think there’s significant value especially for clubs looking out to emulate Richmond’s premiership model. The one downside to emerge from the state carnival was that McHenry only managed 5 contested possessions a match, that number would need to increase particularly if he becomes a permanent forward at AFL level.

33. Tom McKenzie
Northern Knights/Victoria Metro
Rebounding Defender/Outside Midfielder
Height: 184 cm Weight: 80 kg

K1a9SkQ.jpg

Player Projection: Rory Laird

McKenzie attracts me a lot because he has two things that I usually place a sizable premium on – high level kicking skills & raw speed. The fact he came in first place in the 20 metre sprint nails down the first requirement, the second is perhaps a little more speculative given he ran at 58% KE in the TAC, not too bad but not quite at the level required for a rebounding defender. On this count I’m burning the books & relying on the good old eye test because everything I can detect about his technique resembles Rory Laird. That’s effectively where I’m shooting in this particular case. I’m heartened by his 23 disposals a match in the TAC & I saw enough at state level to feel he has the right skill set. The rest now comes down to development & a bit of good luck.

I like that you have Colier -Dawkins in our range. Should be top 10. I'll be pumped if we get him.

Perfect for us. The next Oliver/Cripps.

evo said:
I like that you have Colier -Dawkins in our range. Should be top 10. I'll be pumped if we get him.

Perfect for us. The next Oliver/Cripps.
Agree entirely. If we don't I think Duursma is the most likely. I see you haven't yet named Elly Smith. With our second WOW, he would also be a very good get. Are we eligible to choose Mummy?

bullus_hit said:
32. Ned McHenry
Geelong Falcons/Victoria Country
Small Forward
Height: 178 cm Weight: 71 kg

EVYdb4w.jpg

Player Projection: Jarryd Blair

For sheer pressure & work rate there are few players who even come close to McHenry, he averaged a staggering 9.5 tackles at state level & still managed a healthy 15 possessions. Given his tank is elite & pressure forwards are in vogue you’d expect his stocks to be fairly high at this point. For a mid second round pick I think there’s significant value especially for clubs looking out to emulate Richmond’s premiership model. The one downside to emerge from the state carnival was that McHenry only managed 5 contested possessions a match, that number would need to increase particularly if he becomes a permanent forward at AFL level.

Blair?.what? He spent 5 years in the reserves?
Your player comparisons dont do the kids any favours.
Blair, Bastanic, Ryan who??, Harry O'Brien, McGrath

zippadeee said:
Blair?.what? He spent 5 years in the reserves?
Your player comparisons dont do the kids any favours.
Blair, Bastanic, Ryan who??, Harry O'Brien, McGrath

After over 100 hours of time & effort you still chime in with your pathetic sniping, pretty sure this will be the last time I do anything like this again.

bullus_hit said:
After over 100 hours of time & effort you still chime in with your pathetic sniping, pretty sure this will be the last time I do anything like this again.
Sorry to post before your finished the thread Bully , however your efforts are greatly appreciated, especially with out the inside footy bible no longer available , keep up the great work

FFS Zips show some respect

Mr Brightside said:
Sorry to post before your finished the thread Bully , however your efforts are greatly appreciated, especially with out the inside footy bible no longer available , keep up the great work

FFS Zips show some respect
X2.

bullus_hit said:

Maybe Zips can do it next year? Oh wait, he'd never recruit the next Rance.

34. Jacob Kennerley
Norwood/South Australia
Outside Midfielder
Height: 186cm Weight: 77kg

4wLUBjj.jpg

Player Projection: David Mackay

With the game speeding up at a rate of knots elite runners are a must & there are none better than Jacob Kennerley. Having broken the record for the 2km time trial you can bank on a four quarter player who will patrol the wings & generally deliver with efficiency & control. Importantly, Kennerley also possesses good speed which allows him to gain separation, particularly as the game approaches its climax. I’ve nominated Adelaide Crow & life member David Mackay as the player he could feasibly replicate, both share many physical similarities & both come with a complete tool kit that plays out well at the top level.

35. Will Kelly
Collingwood F&S/Victoria Metro
Key Defender
Height: 196cm Weight: 87kg

QVrH49V.jpg

Player Projection: Tom McDonald

I’ve probably let Will Kelly slide ever so fractionally given he’s not on the open market & clubs tend to focus more on players who are realistic propositions. Outside of the top 10 Kelly represents the best key defender given he possesses a nice blend of negating skills & playmaking ability. His intercept marking for Vic Metro was a pleasure to watch & I’ve duly noticed a real improvement in his counter attacking ability as well. I’ve pegged him alongside Tom McDonald because there’s certain similarities with their lockdown capabilities as well as having a high IQ with regards to switching the play & running off their opponents. McDonald has recently been deployed forward so clearly has a few more tricks but I think Kelly can come close to his output when stationed in the back half.

36. Buku Khamis
Western Jets/Victoria Metro
General Defender
Height: 190cm Weight: 82kg

UyuZm0U.jpg

Player Projection: Jeremy Howe

Of all the Sudanese born players Khamis is the one who doesn’t scream project. For my money he already has the tools necessary to succeed but also comes with the same natural athleticism as players such as Daw, Aliir & Chol. All things considered his season has been pretty flawless, he notched up AA honours at state level, he made the TAC Cup team of the year & his numbers stack up against any of his peers. Having operated at 79% DE at state level I can already see a player who knows the game, and then there’s the aspects that you can’t teach such as intercept marking & stepping around would-be tacklers. Whilst he won’t fly quite as high as Jeremy Howe, he will provide a calming influence in the air & will back that up at ground level. The bad news is that he’s off to the Dogs as a Next Generation Academy member. Slightly frustrating but that’s the new playground we’re in.

37. Tom Joyce
East Fremantle/Western Australia
Balanced Midfielder
Height: 181 cm Weight: 80 kg

qssgxNe.jpg

Player Projection: Rory Sloane

Tom’s been out with a hip injury for the best part of 12 months but his form as an underager at state level was outstanding. I think that buys him a spot in this year’s draft & the fact he’s reasonably balanced pushes him into second round calculations. Being an AFL Academy player is another positive and much like Bytel, he will benefit from the professional treatment. As remote as it may sound I’m on the hunt for the next Rory Sloane & Joyce comes in at the same height, has a very strong inside game & has an elite tank. His kicking technique is also very good with his delivery being low & hard and his hands are generally slick. Had it not been for injury there was every chance he would have captained his state, so leadership another box ticked. Once again I think he’ll go later due to injury but it's all about finding diamonds in the rough at this point.

bullus_hit said:

I didnt mean to ruin your hard work , im sorry
You have done a wonderful job.