Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Thomson had a different role today. Was there as a "linkman" at high half forward a fair bit. Did some good, some ok'ish and some not so good. He did go when he had to at least early on.
I didn't notice that. One of his problems (he has a few) is that he is a mid, and seemingly only a mid, but not a good one. He might be a good enough footballer to eek out an AFL career, but if he is a starting mid the team isn't going to be much good. If he can play a HFF that at least gives him another option, and makes his high teens disposals & low clearance numbers less of an issue.

The thing I hate most is his apparent lack of trust in his footskills.
He looks to handball first as a priority & often it's is the wrong decision & puts his team mate under the pump & I think it's because he has no left foot.

He's no doubt trying hard but punching well above his weight. Just on that he's too light for an inside role too. Gets brushed off too often.

No Taranto, No Prestia, No Hopper doesn't help but is he the future?? Anyways we're finding out.
Great points.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't notice that. One of his problems (he has a few) is that he is a mid, and seemingly only a mid, but not a good one. He might be a good enough footballer to eek out an AFL career, but if he is a starting mid the team isn't going to be much good. If he can play a HFF that at least gives him another option, and makes his high teens disposals & low clearance numbers less of an issue.

It will also highlight his kicking skills ( or lack of) more.

Didn't you notice that Sonz played today wiggly?
I did, its more so I think that Dow is taking minutes in the midfield that should be going to others. I think 8 games is enough to tell where he is at. I dont think he is the future

I did, its more so I think that Dow is taking minutes in the midfield that should be going to others. I think 8 games is enough to tell where he is at. I dont think he is the future

But who's he taking minutes from? Sonz and McAuliffe have both got midfield time following strong VFL performances - Dow didn't keep them out. Who else is there?

But who's he taking minutes from? Sonz and McAuliffe have both got midfield time following strong VFL performances - Dow didn't keep them out. Who else is there?
Realistically Dow should not be in the senior team. He has had 8 games to show where he is at.

These minutes should be going to players that will take the team forward.

Sonsie and McAuliffe should the ones getting the Centre Bounces and time in the middle and around the ground.

I would prefer those 2 getting 14-16 touches a game than Dow. I think his ceiling is limited. Nothing against the kid but he will find his level at a Stand alone VFL team or SA

Not sure how much more I can explain this

Realistically Dow should not be in the senior team. He has had 8 games to show where he is at.

These minutes should be going to players that will take the team forward.

Sonsie and McAuliffe should the ones getting the Centre Bounces and time in the middle and around the ground.

I would prefer those 2 getting 14-16 touches a game than Dow. I think his ceiling is limited. Nothing against the kid but he will find his level at a Stand alone VFL team or SA

Not sure how much more I can explain this

I agree. Whilst a different player, his output is very RCD unfortunately and he will ultimately find his level there.

Lets face it and see his stats:
Disposals = 14.1 (K 4.8, HB, 9.4) - Ranked Below average by the AFL stats page
CP = 6.5 = Ranked average by the AFL stats page - Cont Possession rate is ranked above average but thats because his below average Uncontested possessions
UP = 7.6 = Ranked below average by the AFL stats page
Groundball Gets = 5.0 = Ranked average by the AFL stats page - ranked less than Jack Graham
Tackles = 2.6 = Below average by the AFL stats page
Pressure Acts = 18.0 = Ranked average
Clearances = 2.6 = Ranked average - less than Jack Graham
Score Involvements = 4.0 = Ranked average
TOG = 70.9%

I don't know where we go to with him. Of 8 measures above amongst his peer group, is ranked below average 2 of them and average in the rest. TOG % is very low for a guy who has been in the system as long as he has. The areas where you would expect him to thrive as he's an inside midfielder he doesn't (clearances, GBG's etc). His defensive side of the game is bog average.

As an inside midfielder, in many of these categories he ranks below Graham who doesn't even play that inside role.

Compare to Sonz who played in the midfield finally on Sunday (I can't see all the stats so I've gone with what I've got - in brackets I put Dow's numbers from the same game).
Disposals = 18 (15)
CP = 6 (4)
UP = 14 (10)
Groundball Gets = Don't have these stats per game
Tackles = 0 (0)
Pressure Acts = 24 (14)
Clearances = 1 (1)
Score Involvements = 5 (3)
TOG = 74% (69%)

You are right that currently he's not taking anyones midfield minutes (we don't have anyone to keep out of the team), but when we start feeding Prestia, Hopper and Taranto back into the side, I will dead set spew up if Dow continues in midfield in place of someone like Sonsie. For the same output, I'm taking the guy that can kick and influence games over whatever Dow brings.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yze obviously liked what he saw during preseason but the question is how long does he persist with Dow?

What Yze says in public might be different to the feedback all coaches gives players. Especially line coaches

He’s got to WORK both ways both with and WITHOUT the ball.
Too often the opposition get the ball, especially from the centre, and our players just jog, sometimes 10m or more behind them.
No pressure, certainly not in a position to tackle.
Just bludging and cheating on your teammates.

NO *smile* compromises. Bludgers need to shown the door.

Reactions: 2 users
Lemme think a minute now. So I reckon he's not taking any midfield minutes off Prestia at the moment. Nor Hopper or Taranto, nope not taking any midfield minutes off Ross or Jacky Graham either.
Got me stumped Wiggler, maybe you better explain to me who's midfield minutes it is that Dow's thieving off other players.

Reactions: 1 users
Lemme think a minute now. So I reckon he's not taking any midfield minutes off Prestia at the moment. Nor Hopper or Taranto, nope not taking any midfield minutes off Ross or Jacky Graham either.
Got me stumped Wiggler, maybe you better explain to me whose midfield minutes it is that Dow's thieving off other players.
D Rioli, Shai, McKauliffe, Sonsie

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely keeping McAuliffe out. In 2 games he's played 22% and 69% game time, less than 4 quarters of AFL footy. Hasn't played in 1s since round 5. Actually due to a bye and being emergency he played 1 game in a month.