The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

RIP Mike Pinder, founding member of the Moody Blues. The man responsible for their iconic "orchestral" sound.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Aged 94. Not a bad innings from Sergeant Gilroy
The year he was born, male life expectancy would have been not much past 60.

Even now, any male living past 80-82, is a really good innings indeed. Particularly if you stay in good health until the very end. Sounds like he had pretty good health well into his late 80s.

Reactions: 1 user
The year he was born, male life expectancy would have been not much past 60.

Even now, any male living past 80-82, is a really good innings indeed. Particularly if you stay in good health until the very end. Sounds like he had pretty good health well into his late 80s.
Funny about those figures. On my paternal grandmothers side, she was the youngest child born in 1904, her brothers lived to their mid nineties, she lived to 92.
My father’s siblings..the eldest brother is 99 ( non smoker, enjoyed a beer or a wine modestly) next his sister 97 (non smoker, enjoyed a very modest beer, maybe a scotch) next brother just passed at 92. (Enjoyed a beer, a scotch a wine odd smoke when young then an occasional cigar) My father turned 90 on Anzac Day. He’s a non smoker, non drinker, no coffee or tea. Works out! Walks kms everyday. To sum it up. Very *smile* boring. But he’s still here.
No chance of me getting that old, decrepit, wrinkled up old bastard :giggle: life’s for living.
Well as much as your brain tells you to go, but your body swears at you and says “hold up ol fella”

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Funny about those figures. On my paternal grandmothers side, she was the youngest child born in 1904, her brothers lived to their mid nineties, she lived to 92.
My father’s siblings..the eldest brother is 99 ( non smoker, enjoyed a beer or a wine modestly) next his sister 97 (non smoker, enjoyed a very modest beer, maybe a scotch) next brother just passed at 92. (Enjoyed a beer, a scotch a wine odd smoke when young then an occasional cigar) My father turned 92 on Anzac Day. He’s a non smoker, non drinker, no coffee or tea. Works out! Walks kms everyday. To sum it up. Very *smile* boring. But he’s still here.
No chance of me getting that old, decrepit, wrinkled up old bastard :giggle: life’s for living.
Well as much as your brain tells you to go, but your body swears at you and says “hold up ol fella”
Yeah, my maternal side seems pretty good genes like that.

Maternal grandmother still going. Turned 99 in February. Considering she had debilitating polio when my mother was an infant in the early 1950s (and against medical predictions walked and lived a fully able bodied life thereafter), and nearly died from an infestation of hydatids (tapeworm) in the 1970s (given a 30% chance of survival), she’s done well.

Only went into a nursing home at 95, when her mind finally started going. But even now, she has a far better quality of life compared to most of the poor old buggers I see on the walk down her hallway. God’s waiting room. Her mother (my great grandmother) lived to 88

Maternal grandfather went to 85. Died 12 years ago - miss him a lot, was a lot closer to him than my own father. His mother (another of my great grandmothers) lived to 98.

Pretty much all of them non-smokers, non-drinkers (or very occasional drinkers).

Reactions: 1 user
Terry Hill, aged 52, former NRL champion, Blues and Australian player
Wasn’t a lot of tributes coming his way from his ex-wives and their families. Nor the two blokes he bashed who attempted to come to his wife’s aid, when he was giving her a physical roughing up in public. Wife beating thug.

His quote on assaulting the men. “She’s my woman and I’ll do what I want.”

• Wow
Wasn’t a lot of tributes coming his way from his ex-wives and their families. Nor the two blokes he bashed who attempted to come to his wife’s aid, when he was giving her a physical roughing up in public. Wife beating thug.

His quote on assaulting the men. “She’s my woman and I’ll do what I want.”
what a weak *smile*

Reactions: 4 users
what a weak *smile*
Head butted a touch football referee too in the early 90s (rumoured to have broken his nose) and copped a life ban from touch football. Apparently in those days the ban didn’t carry over to other codes of football. So never affected is rugby league status.

• Wow
RIP to Duane Eddy, he the originator of the "Twangy Guitar" sound & a major influence of on some of rock & roll greats. John Fogerty, George Harrison, Hank Marvin, Mark Knopfler & many more.
His hits include the Peter Gunn theme, Rebel Rouser, Because They're Young, Forty Miles of Bad Road & many more.

Reactions: 3 users