Situation in Burma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Situation in Burma

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
If, like me, you are disturbed about events in Burma, you can make a difference:

www.amnesty.org.au

Six Pack said:
If, like me, you are disturbed about events in Burma, you can make a difference:
www.amnesty.org.au

Giving to amnesty may help in the very short term, but it isn't going to stop the Government there, or help the people there in the long term.

Liverpool said:
Six Pack said:
www.amnesty.org.au

Giving to amnesty may help in the very short term, but it isn't going to stop the Government there, or help the people there in the long term.

If you read the website carefully you can find links to other good causes. Every little bit helps i think, and if our awareness is raised re these issues then that's a good thing too. We can also put pressure on our government do take action.

Six Pack said:
If you read the website carefully you can find links to other good causes. Every little bit helps i think, and if our awareness is raised re these issues then that's a good thing too. We can also put pressure on our government do take action.

SixPack,
In the past, Governments such as ours, Britain, and the USA have been castigated for interfering in other country's affairs, and their policies have been questioned regarding their "policing" of the world.

So should our Government take action?
Wouldn't that be interfering in another country's politics?
And if you think we should take action....what action do you suggest?

Liverpool said:
Six Pack said:

SixPack,
In the past, Governments such as ours, Britain, and the USA have been castigated for interfering in other country's affairs, and their policies have been questioned regarding their "policing" of the world.

so how do you define what's going on in Iraq?

Liverpool said:
Six Pack said:

SixPack,

Any oil in Burma?

Six Pack said:
Liverpool said:
Six Pack said:

SixPack,

so how do you define what's going on in Iraq?

Exactly what I am alluding to, SixPack.

We have heard/seen complaints, rallies, and protests demonstrating people's angst at the Coalition in Iraq, and their policies in the Middle East, as well as the idea that the USA (and its allies) are acting as the world's police....yet now you want the Government to take action about what is happening in Burma.

You can't have it both ways...and you can't pick and choose what countries should be interfered with, and what countries should be left alone to their own devices.

I work with a Burmese kid and he was devastated today. The military are slaughtering monks and other protesters and have cut off all communication with the outside world. Horrific. You have to be really brave to attack a bunch of Buddhist monks don't you?

We can put pressure on the Govt to act. Approach/ring/write to yr local member of parliament.

What action would you suggest when military start killing buddhist monks Livers?

i wouldnt bother asking Livers, Disco. he'd probably want to take the SSSttone approach to diplomacy and drop a nuclear bomb on the whole region!

Disco08 said:
What action would you suggest when military start killing buddhist monks Livers?

Nothing.
It's their internal matter.

In the past we (as well as the Americans and Brits) have been criticised for acting as the 'world's police'.....so that means we can't go in with force, can we? ;)

It makes me laugh when people say we should send troops to Burma.....or the eternal love-child of the left ('Free Tibet', they say), where the argument of China's human-rights abuses are exposed and lapped-up by the dread-locked, bong-smoking masses, willing the Government to act.
However, when they do act against a tyrant committing his own human-rights abuses against his own civilians....they are criticised to the extreme.
I guess that's the price you pay for being America.

The UN should take charge, but they are toothless tigers when it comes to enforcing any type of control in a situation like this.

Liverpool said:
Six Pack said:
We can put pressure on the Govt to act. Approach/ring/write to yr local member of parliament.
Act in what way Sixpack?

I'm still waiting for you answer Sixpack, or is this a question I need to rephrase for you?

Six Pack said:
i wouldnt bother asking Livers, Disco. he'd probably want to take the SSSttone approach to diplomacy and drop a nuclear bomb on the whole region!

You are wrong Sixpack.
If this happened, my favourite show on TV ("Border Security") wouldn't have many stories to share with us... :hihi

Liverpool said:
Nothing.
It's their internal matter.

It must be nice to be so blase about the lives of others. No wonder you find it so easy to get on your high horse.