Round 7: the 78 tramline junkie and urine games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 7: the 78 tramline junkie and urine games.

Umpires aren't the reason the Blues got done.

Kicking 2.8 to start wasn't ideal among several opportunities squandered, they got smashed out of the middle for stretches of the match and a lot of forward 50 entries were simply untidy. They seemed to really labour for goals in the first half. On the flip side, the Cats were far too polished and efficient going inside 50. Each time they entered, they usually scored. At one point the Cats had 10.4 on the board.

Having said that, if Geelong are the so-called benchmark of the comp, then there really isn't a lot in it - and that's not just including Carlton, either. Still early days, but this season strikes me as one where there won't be a clear standout team as an absolute frontrunner for the flag. So if there's any truth to the Cats being the 'team to beat', then I'm not too concerned.

Reactions: 6 users
It’s low cost Freo forward line:
Josh Treacy , rookie draft
Patrick Voss: SSP
Tom Emmett: state league recruit from Sturt in the SANFL.

Still early days, but this season strikes me as one where there won't be a clear standout team as an absolute frontrunner for the flag. So if there's any truth to the Cats being the 'team to beat', then I'm not too concerned.

I think both the last 2 years have been like that. I actually thought we were a shot last year if we hadn't have lost Lynch. I think you are right, the difference between the best teams isn't a lot at the moment, so it comes down to who can deliver at the right time.

Reactions: 1 users
Expecting hoots of derision but…I’d look at a straight swap Baker for Josh Treacy

Reactions: 1 user
Expecting hoots of derision but…I’d look at a straight swap Baker for Josh Treacy
I doubt they'd take the offer, I would probably take it too if possible. 2 goals a game for a competitive 21 year old KPF don't grow on trees.

Darcy for the bulldogs is going to be some sort of player. Reckon he will be a star once he fills out.

Reactions: 1 users
Another player on the ground 15 free possessions
The umpiring is at an all time lowView attachment 22575
Yes, seriously, how is that even possible ... unless one team has nearly every possible infringement paid, and the other team has several in their favour ignored?

Unless ................... results are "shaped" - most likely to meet business imperatives, corporate financial objectives. The AFL runs the game with a stacked deck basically.

Reactions: 2 users
Nah, come on! After what? One or two quality games from *smile*.

Any time you think this again, just remember, "Treacy is flakey; Bakes is a bull!" (Sure a little one, but still a bull)

• Haha
Ports Sam Pepper Powell out for 2024 with an acl reco
Took one for the benefit of the team?
Sorry, don't really mean that. Very sorry to see any player get a LTI, terrible bad luck.

[But he hasn't been playing all that well. Wouldn't be surprise for him to find a young player steps up while he's recovering. Might be tough to get his spot back] Doubly tough.

Becoming another messiah failure like Micky at Cartoon was.
Because HE's not the messiah; just a naughty boy! (Witness AFL fine for homophobic rant earlier this season)

Sorry, but you asked for that! :rolleyes:

Soft by Zac Williams, played for the free thinking he was playing against Richmond and didn’t get it and was made to look soft and silly.
Some really poor disposals when under pressure created costly turnovers too.

Are they really rebuilding that quickly or just getting the best out of their older blokes. Their age profile and games profile suggests the latter. Average age 27 years 10 months, 8 players over 200 games, only 1 below 50 playing today. What happens when those 8 over 200 games retire?

Hawkins - 35 -353 games
Tuohy - 34 - 275 ganes
Dangerfield - 34 - 325 games
Stanley - 33 - 201 games
Blicavs - 33 - 253 games
Duncan - 32 - 192 games
Cameron - 31 - 237 games
Guthrie - 31 - 237 games

The only players they had under 25 today were:
Holmes - 21 - 58 games
Miers - 25 - 113 games
Guthrie - 25 - 84 games
Dempsey - 21 - 14 games
Jack Henry - 25 - 125 games
Close - 25 - 83 games
Oliver Henry - 21 - 54 games
De Koning - 23 - 50 games
Bruhn - 21 - 55 games
Stengle - 25 - 67 games

The thing that sticks out for those 8 over 200 games, is the height they are going to lose. Thats the key for me, do they have enough to replace them, Hawkins, Stanley, Blicavs and Cameron are all still really big players the way that they play.

The one thing they've done much better than us, partly through luck on the injury front but also because they have brought some of these players through, is to get their under 22 year olds games. We would have had Gibcus approaching 50 games by the end of this season other than losing him for 2 years due to injury so would be in a similar boat or better than SDK, but a lot of the others we just haven't got games into whereas Geelong have, so a bit of a rebuild, but they have some very key players to replace in the short term.
Gotta put up their tier of 25 to 30 year olds to get a proper view of their list n future. There's no doubt that a few of their over 30's will still play on for a year or two. That bloody core of 21 to 25 looks mighty solid n bloody well seasoned. Don't know how the bastards do it, but their list just seems to stay strong and balanced year after *smile* year. They've been to old n *smile* slow since 2011 and nothing *smile* changes.