Richmond V GWS at Mildura 23/10/22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond V GWS at Mildura 23/10/22

Maybe because they have just finished a mentally and physically demanding season and need a break Mr P? We wouldn't expect players to back up for a Summer comp. You're not the first person to suggest it but I think it probably shows how little respect people have for the job of being an umpire.

Having said that, I do agree there are issues with selection of umpires. I mentioned previously while I was back in Bendigo for a game we played there, I picked up the local paper and read that one of the female umpires from the local comp had been asked to do the game. That's not good enough.

I get that they need a break, but do they seriously need 5 months? The girls games are shorter and should be easier for them to umpire in terms of distances being run.

The AFL pre-season is so long not because of the endurance impacts of the season but because of the constant physical hits they receive, the umps don't get any of these.

I think the AFL industry forgets that in other sports (lets take soccer for example) whereby the umpires will generally umpire 2 games per week for 9 months of the year and then the best ones will go on and umpire off season comps like the World Cup and the European Championships.

Personally, I see no reason why the umpires in AFL need the same off-season length as the men.

I'd much rather make them professional and have the best umps umpire the men and then the womens season through to mid November. Umpires pre-season would start around the start of January.

Reactions: 1 user
Fantastic that Courtney Greatfield kicked a goal in her home town, I love her story and commitment.

Reactions: 5 users
Good win.

Just need to beat the Roos to make top 4, otherwise we should have a home game R1 of the finals.

Wonder whether they are all staying the night, a big p!ss up on the Greatfields farm sounds good.

• Haha
Good win.

Just need to beat the Roos to make top 4, otherwise we should have a home game R1 of the finals.

Next week will be interesting.

Win and we should make top 4 as Pies are playing in Brisbane.
Lose and Geelong are the dangerous one for top 4, they play the Swans next week

Next week will be interesting.

Win and we should make top 4 as Pies are playing in Brisbane.
Lose and Geelong are the dangerous one for top 4, they play the Swans next week
I think lose and nm would go ahead. Have a better %.

I get that they need a break, but do they seriously need 5 months? The girls games are shorter and should be easier for them to umpire in terms of distances being run.

The AFL pre-season is so long not because of the endurance impacts of the season but because of the constant physical hits they receive, the umps don't get any of these.

I think the AFL industry forgets that in other sports (lets take soccer for example) whereby the umpires will generally umpire 2 games per week for 9 months of the year and then the best ones will go on and umpire off season comps like the World Cup and the European Championships.

They haven't had 5 months off, the season only finished a month ago.

I could see an argument if the AFLW season was in the preseason months still and I think they did used to do games then.

Bit rough to expect them to bang another few months on to a ten month campaign of high running loads, heavy physical exertion and mental stress though.

By the way, if you think they get an easy run physically, I suggest you grab a footy and head down to your local park tomorrow and practice 50 centre bounces. Repeat that 3 times a week for 10 months and see how the body is feeling, and that's before even thinking about the 15-20km high intensity running each weekend and the associated training for that. It's a highly physically demanding job.

We're going well.

We got dudded with poor umpiring costing us wins from our 1st 2 x losses and the Lions got dudded against us with that goal decision...

We should be 8-1 and the Lions should be undefeated.

Good times, appears nil injuries from today's game so we will have a real crack come finals.

Reactions: 1 users