Revenue grabbers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Revenue grabbers

P.S. By the time you see the police car it's usually a bit late to slow down anyway. ;)

meltiger said:
Legends of 1980 said:
The title of the thread is 'Revenue grabbers'

It is mate, & the complaint was about hidden camera's, not the 10% tolerance argument.

At the end of the day, the hidden camera's may be there for money raising reasons, but if you don't break the law you won't suffer from it.

I seriously don't understand drivers sometimes.

the 10% tolerance arguement is valid though

first of all you mention earlier that drivers knowing their speedos may be out by 10% should drive few kays slower. what happens when a driver thinks he/she is going 57 but because of the inaccuracy of the speedo in actual fact in going 63 and gets nabbed by a speed camera.

here are the facts

we are told the speed limit is 60, we dont trust our speedo so travel at an indicated 57, our speedo is inaccurate to 10% (but still within the law) and we are infact travelling at 63, we get caught "speeding" at 63 in a 60 zone and are fined $135 and 3 points.

THAT IS NOT POLICING FOR REDUCING THE ROAD TOLLS AND TO SAVE LIVES. THAT IS REVENUE RAISING AND NOTHING ELSE. IF YOU CANT SEE THAT THEN GET IN YOUR VOLVO STATION WAGON AND DRIVE OF A CLIFF, BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPEED

An interstate truck driver relative of mine told me about open highway speeding - 

He said Victoria is the worst as they have little or no tolerence there for speeding - he sticks bang on the speed limit whilst there - NSW the coppers allow about 9 klm/hour over the 100 klm/h speed limit for trucks - same for cars about 9 over - Queensland roads are too dangerous to speed on - rarely goes to SA and never to the West.

He has a very simple theory on speed cameras -

Don't go over the speed limit and they will not worry you!

Legends of 1980 said:
the golden said:
meltiger said:
Tigerdog said:
They certainly are revenue grabbers.

Only if people break the law.....

Don't speed = No fine.
that is the solution people , don't speed and you will not get booked .

That's true to a point. But I remember peter batchelor saying the very same thing 'if you don't speed you won't get fined' .This was about a week before it was found that a few cameras were faulty and people WERE getting fined when they WEREN'T speeding. I have no problem with cameras placed on dangerous stretches of road, after all, the government does call them speed safety cameras.
Personally, I would rather a more visible police presence on the road. The few times I have been caught speeding, I took more notice when I was pulled over by a cop than when I got a fine in the mail, 2-3 weeks AFTER the alleged incidents.
yes i would rather deal with a police person then those camera jobs

[sort of what i said in my first post] as they will give you a little more leeway and agree that some cameras were faulty

thou i am dubious on some claims for some reason

depends i think some people may have been speeding anyway but not by how much the camera said as i have travelled thoses roads all through that time kept to 100 and no fine so there is my thinking any way .

libs look like dropping the crazy 3kmh tolerance bull *smile* law if voted in to power for the reasons mentioned on this thread saying they are in place for revenue raising only.

next election they will get my vote

And more people will die. Lifting the tolerance will mean people will think they can go just that little bit faster.
The number of idiots who have passed me recently beggars belief....and I'm talking about in 70k and 80k zones....and past schools.
I used to be a leadfoot too, till I lost someone close to me. Now I make sure I sit on the limit.
What price do you put on a human life?

Anduril said:
The number of idiots who have passed me recently beggars belief....and I'm talking about in 70k and 80k zones....and past schools.

Andy, that's basically a concession that the current message/system is not working/getting through.

Anduril said:
And more people will die. Lifting the tolerance will mean people will think they can go just that little bit faster.
What price do you put on a human life?

lifting the tolerance to bring it in line with adr standards for car speedos makes it fair and has nothing to do with anything else other than being reasonable to victorian drivers

i value human life dearly, i also value my demerit points and my hard earned. most people would share my thoughts on these 2 things meaning we are respectful of road laws and thats why the majority of drivers will be happy if these laws are corrected

RACV studies show that the very small inaccuracy/tolerance level on speedos is always on the side of the driver. eg If your speedo says you are doing 106 you are actually doing 103.

Anduril said:
RACV studies show that the very small inaccuracy/tolerance level on speedos is always on the side of the driver. eg If your speedo says you are doing 106 you are actually doing 103.

That's true.
I had my wife's car, a Subaru Outback, on cruise control at 100kph, when going under an overhead speed monitoring device. It said that the car was travelling at 96.

Similarly my other cars have shown about the same when monitored.

there is no set rule though in regards to tolerance levels favouring the driver and the difference in actual to speedo can change both ways depending on tyre wear and air pressure levels among other things so regardless of what you wowsers think is right the tolerance was put in place because of these factors that affect speedo accuracy and governments should respect that becaause it is fair and reasonable

LidsandBling said:
libs look like dropping the crazy 3kmh tolerance bull sh!t law if voted in to power for the reasons mentioned on this thread saying they are in place for revenue raising only.

next election they will get my vote
bet you if i had the money they proberly would do nothing as they would be making a lot of money out of them .

i still would not vote for them if you paid me a million to do it

Speed cameras revealed

April 24, 2006

VICTORIA Police today revealed the locations of all speed cameras in the state.
A list of all fixed speed cameras and the locations where mobile speed cameras are regularly placed has been posted on the internet, police said.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner for Traffic, Noel Ashby, and Police Minister Tim Holding made the announcement which will publicise hundreds of sites.

Mr Ashby said police were prepared to take any reasonable measure needed in order to slow motorists down on Victorian roads to reduce the road toll.

"On the one hand this is about ensuring Victoria Police is open and transparent with the Victorian community, while on the other we are prepared to do whatever it takes to stop people killing themselves and others on the roads," he said.

"If just one motorist logs onto the internet, takes a mental note of a speed camera location and makes the choice to slow down: that's potentially one life saved."

The speed-camera program has been credited, in part, with a dramatic reduction in Victoria's road toll since 1990.

But a series of legislative changes, including the use of hidden, fixed cameras and reduction of speed tolerances before police issue speeding fines, have been unpopular with motorists

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18910236-26619,00.html

the link for the speed camera locations is posted above

Tigers of Old said:
Speed cameras revealed

April 24, 2006

A list of all fixed speed cameras and the locations where mobile speed cameras are regularly placed has been posted on the internet, police said.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner for Traffic, Noel Ashby, and Police Minister Tim Holding made the announcement which will publicise hundreds of sites.

Mr Ashby said police were prepared to take any reasonable measure needed in order to slow motorists down on Victorian roads to reduce the road toll.

"On the one hand this is about ensuring Victoria Police is open and transparent with the Victorian community, while on the other we are prepared to do whatever it takes to stop people killing themselves and others on the roads," he said.

"If just one motorist logs onto the internet, takes a mental note of a speed camera location and makes the choice to slow down: that's potentially one life saved."

The speed-camera program has been credited, in part, with a dramatic reduction in Victoria's road toll since 1990.

But a series of legislative changes, including the use of hidden, fixed cameras and reduction of speed tolerances before police issue speeding fines, have been unpopular with motorists

did they not, no less than 2 weeks ago say that it would never give away locations and use their regular throw away line that it would encourage people to speed?

weak government and a shocking about face

Jools said:
I tried to get on the website they gave - no go. Heard on the news tonight that they also tried and didn't get on either.
I heard that the site crashed. Couldn't handle the volume of hits.

LidsandBling said:
Tigers of Old said:
Speed cameras revealed

April 24, 2006

did they not, no less than 2 weeks ago say that it would never give away locations and use their regular throw away line that it would encourage people to speed?

weak government and a shocking about face
There wouldn't be an election due this year would there? ;D