Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

Cat B so he's not actually occupying anyone's list spot. Third season in and this is his second season of shuffling around with a dodgy back, reckon we might have blundered badly with this one.
I’m hoping he comes good. During the last preseason between back injuries he was an amazing running machine.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m hoping he comes good. During the last preseason between back injuries he was an amazing running machine.
Has he learnt how to mark, kick n handpass yet or has he been to restricted by his back attack to be able to learn the basics.

Reactions: 1 user
Cat B so he's not actually occupying anyone's list spot. Third season in and this is his second season of shuffling around with a dodgy back, reckon we might have blundered badly with this one.
The other thing is, with all due respect to him as a professional athlete, he is actually not very good at playing football. His strength which we have all seen and heard of is his high level running ability which one must think is the reason we picked him up. It is high level but not much good if u don’t know how to play the game well.

Reactions: 1 users
This might sound horrible but is it not time to Capuano Collina? Obviously his body cannot handle the AFL game. Please educate me if I am wrong but it just makes no sense to me. He is occupying a rookie spot. This is a Mid season rookie draft.... Why are we wasting time?
he's a category b rookie, they don't take up any of the salary cap. Clubs can have 3 category b rookies, we have 2. His spot therefore is currently not stopping the club from recruiting any other category b rookies. As it stands Colina and Hayes-Brown are free hits.

Last edited:
Success stories Marlion Pickett (2019), John Noble (2019), Jai Newcombe (2021), Sam Durham (2021), Massimo D’Ambrosio (2022) and Jye Menzie (2022)

So mostly small running players.
We'd all like the next Tom Lynch but the better odds is a Lambert or Short type.

Having said that i'm still in for Jasper Scaife.
Solid rump for a full forward

Success stories Marlion Pickett (2019), John Noble (2019), Jai Newcombe (2021), Sam Durham (2021), Massimo D’Ambrosio (2022) and Jye Menzie (2022)

So mostly small running players.
We'd all like the next Tom Lynch but the better odds is a Lambert or Short type.
Yep, and I’d throw Will Snelling in there too. So state leaguers between 175-185cm and aged between 20 and 27! Key positions and rucks appear not the way to go.

Jai Culley and Ryan Maric, WCE last 2 MSD picks at 191cm and 193cm respectively, may change the success story definitions though.

South Adelaide's Noah Howes is a 196cm key forward who doesn't turn 19 until late October. (Late October birthdays good for RFC key forwards -JR, Lynch, Balta; Roach early October; Hogg mid-October). Missed a lot of footy through juniors and went undrafted last year. Kicked 5 as a not-quite 16-year-old in 2021 for South v WWT u/18s.

Playing SANFL seniors this year, debuted with 3 goals here against the Crows reserves:

and kicked another 3 against Glenelg last round. Has 8 goals in 5 games for a winless team, averaging 2 contested marks per game.

Is the only over-ager in SA's u/18 Champs squad.

Reactions: 8 users
South Adelaide's Noah Howes is a 196cm key forward who doesn't turn 19 until late October. (Late October birthdays good for RFC key forwards -JR, Lynch, Balta; Roach early October; Hogg mid-October). Missed a lot of footy through juniors and went undrafted last year. Kicked 5 as a not-quite 16-year-old in 2021 for South v WWT u/18s.

Playing SANFL seniors this year, debuted with 3 goals here against the Crows reserves:

and kicked another 3 against Glenelg last round. Has 8 goals in 5 games for a winless team, averaging 2 contested marks per game.

8 goals in 5 games???
Is that meant to be 80 goals in 5 games
That's not impressive

• Dislike

Sounds very promising. Good reason for not getting drafted and since is playing sanfl seniors.

South Adelaide's Noah Howes is a 196cm key forward who doesn't turn 19 until late October. (Late October birthdays good for RFC key forwards -JR, Lynch, Balta; Roach early October; Hogg mid-October).
How long have you been using astrology to inform your opinions?

• Haha
Looking at it from a needs based perspective. Not just this draft but seasons end as well. Then we have to look at what we have. How about defenders for starters, which is not our greatest need imo.

We have a enough kpd and tall defenders. At least numbers wise.
Kpd going forward looks good. Gibcus, Miller, Balta if he plays there. Would seriously be looking to upgrade on Young, although atm he is adequate cover. That's four we can call genuine kpd.
If Balta plays as a forward permanently then i would hope we look at a Mature KEY defender to replace him .
So depending on where we play players, there could be a real need for two kpd's. Replace Young and Balta.

Tall defenders We have Broad and Grimes both into their 30s. We have Broads replacement already in the team in Tom Brown.
Grimes who is more of your third tall type than rebounder we have Jacob Bauer, that is if we develop him as a defender. If not then El Nour might be a good fit moving forward.
It would allow us to develop Bauer at either end. Currently we do not have a forward between 185 - 192cm . We have had dusty play there but lose that point of difference when he goes into the midfield. At 32 we need to look forward anyway..
Jacob would help address this but if he plays in defense Hutchison would be a good fit for the list.

Fact of the matter is we have needs right across the board some more serious than others. They all cannot be addressed in one go.
Maybe this draft is an opportunity to start to try and address a few of the more pressing and serious ones.

Looked unthinkable why not drafted when i saw him
Big forward looks special
Id take him with our first pick
Apparently over look because injuries
Should’ve been drafted
Who is the SA scout these days?

• Wow

GOOD FIND OLD CHAP.

I'm a fan. Him or our boy Weckert, let's take a punt.

Also hearing that Muz in our VFL side has 5 clubs talking to him. Hawks are super keen. And Lachie Wilson has a few clubs sniffing around him.

Looked unthinkable why not drafted when i saw him
Big forward looks special
Id take him with our first pick
Apparently over look because injuries
Should’ve been drafted
Who is the SA scout these days?
Dunno but they tipped us MC Fkn-A and The Force last year.

GOOD FIND OLD CHAP.

I'm a fan. Him or our boy Weckert, let's take a punt.

Also hearing that Muz in our VFL side has 5 clubs talking to him. Hawks are super keen. And Lachie Wilson has a few clubs sniffing around him.
So we might need to use our first pick if we want Mutley