Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

He first injures and grabs at the hammy at the 12 minute 8 second remaining mark of the 3rd quarter, motions at the bench by stretching his knee out but then continues to play for another 2 minutes before aggravating it further (the bit where Oliver consoles him with a pat on the head)
This again is not what he said. Hopper said after playing on when he thought the discomfort was from the knee bandage he still felt discomfort so he took himself off.

There is no evidence that he aggravated it further and no one has said that.

I am not defending our injury record but I think if we are going to attack it then it should be based on facts.

Whether the injury itself was caused by him coming back a week early is what we should be looking at.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
In the case of Hopper and Lynch injuring themselves and continuing to play, they have themselves to blame for further injury. Just plain dumb. The club should make a blanket rule that if you're injured take yourself off immediately without question, the club simply can't afford for further (prolonged) injuries.
Geez. There'd need to be a set of tram tracks installed on every ground to wheelie bin the players off. How many times in every game do players jar up a knee, roll an ankle, cop a stinger or a rib crunch. Unless it's a major injury players always get up n gimp around rubbing the injured part while sucking up some air n then hobbling and trying to run before they even think about calling for a trainer or doc to come n help out.

Reactions: 3 users
Geez. There'd need to be a set of tram tracks installed on every ground to wheelie bin the players off. How many times in every game do players jar up a knee, roll an ankle, cop a stinger or a rib crunch. Unless it's a major injury players always get up n gimp around rubbing the injured part while sucking up some air n then hobbling and trying to run before they even think about calling for a trainer or doc to come n help out.
You'd hope common sense would prevail. On second thought...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This again is not what he said. Hopper said after playing on when he thought the discomfort was from the knee bandage he still felt discomfort so he took himself off.

There is no evidence that he aggravated it further and no one has said that.

I am not defending our injury record but I think if we are going to attack it then it should be based on facts.

Whether the injury itself was caused by him coming back a week early is what we should be looking at.
This. THIS. 1000x this.

We've got enough going on, without throwing red herrings in there. Too many hang wringers in this thread are solutions looking for problems.

Let the club do its fishbone or 5 whys or thorough investigation etc. Let's find out the real cause and either improve it, replace it or remove it.

Reactions: 2 users
Our problems may or may not be Meehan I don’t know
Doesn’t matter change needs to be made People and approaches
Our problem is systematic and the only way to break it is a fundamental change

Reactions: 1 users
Collingwood had these season after season injuries. They somehow managed to fix it. At the time it was suggested that they may have been related to the hardness of the Lexus Centre surface. I don’t know how they fixed it, but when it persists for more than a couple of seasons, it’s not just bad luck.

Reactions: 4 users
SIgnificant turn around for WCE
West Cost ditched their S&C team end of season.
They brought in Turk from Collingwobbles and Inness from the dogs.

Just shows what a difference it can make.

1714284833124.png
"I looked at my girlfriend across the breakfast table this morniiiiiiiiiiiiiing! And I said 'Dear', I said 'Dear, I'm worried.'"
Is that your muse Jack?
Nah. The bloke above, RE. How about his lines? Inspiring *smile*. The thing is that King Curtis's girlfriend knew that Curtis had an appointment to see Luke Meehan that very day. (Photo taken afterwards.)

• Haha
Earlier in this thread Geelong was credited with managing their players well but Danger still did his hammy yesterday, first game back. Even if we have done all that we believe should be done to prepare players who are returning from injury, sometimes footy accidents occur where players overstretch a bit more than "normal", as Danger seemed to do. It's just an unfortunate example of how demanding our game has become for players later in their careers.
As for our injuries, I have no idea why so many soft tissue injuries but I suspect they have changed their preseason training in some way and they may not be doing enough strengthening and stretching rehab to make sure they are fully fit before returning to games. That must all be compared with what was done over the past 5 to 6 years when we had a fantastic run of few soft tissue injuries during our premiership dynasty.

Earlier in this thread Geelong was credited with managing their players well but Danger still did his hammy yesterday, first game back. Even if we have done all that we believe should be done to prepare players who are returning from injury, sometimes footy accidents occur where players overstretch a bit more than "normal", as Danger seemed to do. It's just an unfortunate example of how demanding our game has become for players later in their careers.
As for our injuries, I have no idea why so many soft tissue injuries but I suspect they have changed their preseason training in some way and they may not be doing enough strengthening and stretching rehab to make sure they are fully fit before returning to games. That must all be compared with what was done over the past 5 to 6 years when we had a fantastic run of few soft tissue injuries during our premiership dynasty.
Dangerfield was unbelievable before he did his hammy.
They came back ready. Our players take 3 weeks to get into the groove
What ever way you look at it we just have gone backwards in our player management.
Look at the Irishman he kicked 3 he looked 20 yrs old.

I am watching the Man City documentary. My God their rehabilitation/fitness area looks like a hospital. Facilities out of this world. Can we get some of that oil money?

I am watching the Man City documentary. My God their rehabilitation/fitness area looks like a hospital. Facilities out of this world. Can we get some of that oil money?
Nah we’d have too many climate change protests on PRE and marching on Punt Road

• Dislike
I hear you and if our injuries were in isolation I'd feel the same. But our track record since Innes left is consistently poor. Considering our fitness boss is second drop behind Innes and Burge. The numbers are sufficient IMHO to require a new situation with or without laying blame.

Reactions: 1 users
Heard that there may be a lack of high speed running in preseason.
Probably started by Snowy on the tram.
You know, the bloke who keeps winning the meat trays raffles.

Actually we didn't, we had a horror run with injuries in the first half of 2019
I think you're right there, I was probably thinking more of the latter part of those years where we kept all of our important players on the park and fit especially during finals.

Reactions: 1 user