Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
It wil be at rhe g against the hawks with the only win we will have for the rest of the year

Tigeronprowl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dec 30, 2002
I think he has just lost motivation knowing that we will not be playing finals this year. In my opinion if we were a top 4 side he would be more motivated to perform. I hope that he plays next year because I can still see us improving rapidly next year with an injury free list. Having our 2 key forwards back and our young Centre Half Back fully fit, along with the improvement to our younger players who are getting great experience and exposure to senior football will stand us in good stead. Add in a top line free agent hopefully and early first round picks who can impact next year will see us finals bound. In that scenario I can see Dustin getting near his damaging best again, fingers crossed. But if he wants to finish at Gold Coast we can happily let him go and get more first round draft picks to improve our list significantly. We win either way as a club. I can see us rebounding very quickly next year as I believe we have a lot of under rated kids ready to shine next year. Starting the year off positively with a few wins and touch wood a much better run with injuries will see the motivation and excitement within the group reach another level and we know what that can lead to if the whole group buys in and gets things rolling.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We expect so much from Dusty, but then, he has delivered so much.

He has lost some pace and can't do the spectacular things he used to do. Those freakish kicks towards goal are not going through as often, but they never went through so often for others. The hit in the kidneys clearly is a factor, he hasn't quite been the same since.

I wonder if he is a bit frustrated that he can no longer regularly produce miracles, must be hard.

Of course, the fact we were so good meant that he had more opportunity to shine.

I hope he plays at least 1 more year if not a few more, and I hope it is at Richmond. Is a legend and a presence on field and that is good for the young players, plus, he can still contribute.

DS

Reactions: 8 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
We expect so much from Dusty, but then, he has delivered so much.

He has lost some pace and can't do the spectacular things he used to do. Those freakish kicks towards goal are not going through as often, but they never went through so often for others. The hit in the kidneys clearly is a factor, he hasn't quite been the same since.

I wonder if he is a bit frustrated that he can no longer regularly produce miracles, must be hard.

Of course, the fact we were so good meant that he had more opportunity to shine.

I hope he plays at least 1 more year if not a few more, and I hope it is at Richmond. Is a legend and a presence on field and that is good for the young players, plus, he can still contribute.

DS
Yep good post DS. I find it pretty difficult to watch him now. If you watch his gait when walking he has an issue but has bravely kept going. Perhaps to300 like his champion Tiger mates?
He was very durable in his earlier career but you don’t want him to play too long and have ongoing pain.
When Harley ‘don’t argued’ him last week it may have been the symbolic changing of the guard.
Old Father Time I’m afraid.
(And don’t start me on Mitch Robinson)

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Its kinda pointless now. Greatest finals player, greatest big moment player ever. We are not gonna need a big moment player for a few years. Would love to see him somewhere where I get to see him on the big stage again.

Not sure I want to barrack for the gold coast though.

Will forever love him but how could he be motivated now?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Its kinda pointless now. Greatest finals player, greatest big moment player ever. We are not gonna need a big moment player for a few years. Would love to see him somewhere where I get to see him on the big stage again.

Not sure I want to barrack for the gold coast though.

Will forever love him but how could he be motivated now?
Read Jake Niall’s article from earlier this week on Dusty and why Gold Coast shouldn’t and probably won’t pursue Dusty. If he’s not playing for us then I’d rather he retired, and I personally think he’ll either get to the 300 and call time, or like Edwards and Trent play until the end of the season or last home match of the season.

Reactions: 1 user

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
Yze’s comments were interesting in the press conference. Dusty would leave a great legacy helping the kids develop. How much satisfaction he gets from that will probably determine the timing of his retirement (I can’t see him going anywhere else).

What a ride it has been.

Reactions: 4 users

TheUmpire

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2003
Not really playing that much different to how he has done all career. Since when did Duz ever chase, please. But yeah, has lost a yard or three. There can't be icing if there's no cake. Looks like the next 15 games or so is it.
Yeah but now he doesn't have Lambert covering for him defensively.

With where we are as a team his skill set is offering very little.

He is a Richmond great but should not be offered another contract ( just as Grimes shouldn't have been last year).

It will be interesting how the club handles it.

Reactions: 1 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Hasn’t lost his skill…. Has lost his breakaway pace…. Now where he had clear air, he’s disposing under more pressure

Reactions: 1 user

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
He looked genuinely thrilled with some of Lefaus efforts.
He is invested but time is catching up on the great man.
Still a gun and in a stacked fwd line of Balta, Lynch and Lefau he would run amok.

Reactions: 2 users

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Still a gun and in a stacked fwd line of Balta, Lynch and Lefau he would run amok.
Agree. And a forward line of lynch balta and Lefau would be something worth seeing

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Agree. And a forward line of lynch balta and Lefau would be something worth seeing
Wonderful, Fighting Tiger.

I will finish off the forward line this way.
As long as we can find someone to take The Prince's backline attacking option role.

Then:

HF $hai, Noah, The Prince

FF Myki, The Lynch Mob, Moju

Wow.

Imagine the oppo trying to run out of our forward line.
You turn around only to see Uncle and Nephew hunting you down.

Double vision Riolis.
Would love to see that.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004

As long as we can find someone to take The Prince's backline attacking option role.

Then:

Wow.

Double vision Riolis.
Would love to see that.
Shai, Daniel, Tommy tick tick tick. Then the jury is still out. but maybe …

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Brilliant in close as always. Even though he lost a step he doesn't look rushed in close. That look away handball is a thing of legend.
Also was excited by Ralfsmith’s over the top ahandball. Doesn’t look like he’s lost interest to me. Yze’s comments ring true.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Then:

Wow.

Double vision Riolis.
Would love to see that.
Dan Rioli has played his best footy as a halfback for us. He played some great games as a forward (2017 Prelim) but he has excelled with the game coming to him.
However maybe the emergence of the new Moju under Yze is instructive on this point. Dan stagnated under the Dimma role for a small forward but the way the Yze small forwards play is very different. They are far more involved in general play and pushing up the ground.
I don't think it will happen however because right now he is one of the first picked every week at halfback. If it does happen we do have a couple of likely looking halfback candidates behind him in Trezise and Smith.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Also was excited by Ralfsmith’s over the top ahandball. Doesn’t look like he’s lost interest to me. Yze’s comments ring true.
I reckon Dusty just loves playing footy for the Richmond footy club but the rest of what comes with it he is probably sick of.