Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Nuh they’re too afraid to drop him
The Rioli name is one that conjures up brilliant and instinctive play no matter what club they play for. Unfortunately for all of MRJ's efforts he doesn't seem to be AFL standard and is taking up a spot in the 18 that another kid could be tried and maybe excel. Maybe he will mature in a season of two but right now he is a liability. He sure can run to pressure an opponent but once there he doesn't know what to do constructively and that is letting us down.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The rule of the week is the defenders arm around the tummy of the forward. Lynchy will have a field day on Sunday……

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Only thing I can think to explain the changes is they've pencilled it as a loss already and want to see what Banks and Dow offer over a decent run of games.

That or Yze is a genius and is imploding the team in order to get the significant staffing changes needed to make us a competitive group again.
That is one conspiracy theory I do like!

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
This is gonna be floggorama. I don't think they've found the right balance in this side at all, and the injuries aren't helping. It probably is a bad game to debut a mid. Effort was very good vs Carl. Will need to be off the charts to get close to this mob.

Reactions: 1 user

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
The ONLY new young foward who has any x factor and was kick multiple goals in multiple games and he has some deficency ??? What positives do graham( when playing ) and MJ have ? They certainly dont kick goals or have many goal assists...its not like we have bobby hill type fowardz
Its the Star effect right - look at how harsh people have been on Shai & Dusty over the past couple of weeks - the more potential you see in a player, the more you push them, even if their 75/80% is better than another players 100.

Doesn't mean it's fair, might even be holding us back, but I'm pretty certain it's what's happening with Cumbo

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
That'd be because the 2s are where you go to fix the deficiencies?
I see so they are prepping him for Lynch's spot? I guess my issue with him not getting a fair crack in the seniors is that there are three or four in the senior side that get chance after chance to not much meterage gained. In recent times I can remember KB wanting Dusty to pack his bags and go for misdemeanors.Jay Shultz got the rough end of the pineapple after losing the TAC contract.And yes some here made him the whipping boy.Port new what could be achieved with him.Cumbo merits a fair go as well IMO.

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
I see so they are prepping him for Lynch's spot? I guess my issue with him not getting a fair crack in the seniors is that there are three or four in the senior side that get chance after chance to not much meterage gained. In recent times I can remember KB wanting Dusty to pack his bags and go for misdemeanors.Jay Shultz got the rough end of the pineapple after losing the TAC contract.And yes some here made him the whipping boy.Port new what could be achieved with him.Cumbo merits a fair go as well IMO.
I don't disagree with that, and honestly I've got a horrible feeling that he'll go to some other club next year and average 2 goals a week in the AFL - but when 3 professionals who knows the competition & players on an intimate level are making the same decisions, it's a clear sign that somethings going on!

That something could be the star effect thing I mentioned in my previous comment though & if it is we might be focusing on Process (defensive forward play) to the point that it's undermining outcome (actually kicking goals).

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Its the Star effect right - look at how harsh people have been on Shai & Dusty over the past couple of weeks - the more potential you see in a player, the more you push them, even if their 75/80% is better than another players 100.

Doesn't mean it's fair, might even be holding us back, but I'm pretty certain it's what's happening with Cumbo
The only thing that is happening with Cumbo right now is that he isn’t playing well enough in the 2s to get a game.

He has very ordinary form in the vfl practice matches, seemed to be lacking confidence or touch, or both. In the vfl match last week he had 11 touches and 2 goals, hardly screaming out to be picked.

I like Cumbo but he needs a one or two good games in the vfl before he gets picked imo.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Good to see Sonsie in the team. He and MacAuliffe were best for us last week and looked super fit especially early on.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The only thing that is happening with Cumbo right now is that he isn’t playing well enough in the 2s to get a game.

He has very ordinary form in the vfl practice matches, seemed to be lacking confidence or touch, or both. In the vfl match last week he had 11 touches and 2 goals, hardly screaming out to be picked.

I like Cumbo but he needs a one or two good games in the vfl before he gets picked imo.
Played a blinder a couple of weeks back in the 2nd half. Just hasn't been given a good run of games since end of 22 when he played 8 games and kicked 20 goals. That's equivalent of an almost 60 goal season. And 8 goal assists, another 20 goals or so equivalent. I wonder if he's already hinted that he'll be moving on as an unrestricted free agent. We'll get nothing for him anyway.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019

Totally disagree.
Not sure what practice matches you’ve been watching but I saw him play really well against Carlton a couple of weeks ago and the week before had an electric 2nd half kicking 3 goals and personally getting us over the line.
He was also very good against the Suns last week with his defensive efforts and still managed to kick 2 goals.
Not sure what you expect from him, but it’s not form keeping him out.
They’re trying to teach him something and still feel he’s got work to do but it’s tough love under the circumstances. We have no one better in the seniors but still keep him out.
Perplexing to most of us.

Reactions: 5 users
Feb 25, 2007

Did you watch the game last week V GC. Played well and was in our best 5 on the ground. Defensively very good, Kicked two, well really 3 Archie May kicked a goal which was Cumbos free 5 meters out but may just waltzed into goal (took the advantage). Cumbo also had a few Goal assists.

The line needs to play a few more better games is *smile*, why? because what did Lefau do in the ressies to get a debut game. What has banks done to get games in the seniors, ill answer it for you nothing. Junior the same no set of good games to warrant senior selection. Mansell had a good game last week but had done SFA in the ressies “preseason games” albeit injured for a few weeks but nonetheless didn’t do anything to warrant senior selection, he just got selected.

In the preseason games Cumbo also had 3 goals and 3 goal assists.

Banks stays in with two average games. Lefau had a terrible game last week but stays in. Clarke got in for a quarter looked ok 4 disposals but he's out. Ralphsmith very impressive last week but can't get in. Much rather him than banks. Cumbo anyone in their right mind thinks he'll do any less than Lefau.

McAuliffe has been very good should’ve debuted and Dow out for a few average games. Match committee, team selection has been quite questionable.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep seems there's different standards for Cumbo. Whereas someone like MJ comes back to preseason unfit and doesn't show much in any of the matches and is a walk up start.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
That’s the issue with a hard pre season.
You can get hit with injuries early
So, if you are correct, what is the point then? Injuries are very costly. Time out. More losses. Rehab time and expenses, medical procedures, x-rays, some players take a long time to recover, or don't even recover fully.

Just don't see the point. Surely it's about preparing the players well enough to play out games without pushing them to the verge of injury and over.

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
With a crucial player like Grimes injured, must play Balta in defence.
Shore up defence at all costs.
No ifs, no buts.
You can "experiment" once you prevent the opposition kicking winning scores.
Don't GAFF if it looks butt ugly.

• Wow

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Ahh deficiency So kicking 2 or more goals a game is a deficiency for a forward
What has Dow MJ Banks done to deserve a spot?
Yes, must be so. We prefer forwards who don't, won't or can't kick goals. And when you figure that out, get back to me?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Did you watch the game last week V GC. Played well and was in our best 5 on the ground. Defensively very good, Kicked two, well really 3 Archie May kicked a goal which was Cumbos free 5 meters out but may just waltzed into goal (took the advantage). Cumbo also had a few Goal assists.

The line needs to play a few more better games is *smile*, why? because what did Lefau do in the ressies to get a debut game. What has banks done to get games in the seniors, ill answer it for you nothing. Junior the same no set of good games to warrant senior selection. Mansell had a good game last week but had done SFA in the ressies “preseason games” albeit injured for a few weeks but nonetheless didn’t do anything to warrant senior selection, he just got selected.

In the preseason games Cumbo also had 3 goals and 3 goal assists.

Banks stays in with two average games. Lefau had a terrible game last week but stays in. Clarke got in for a quarter looked ok 4 disposals but he's out. Ralphsmith very impressive last week but can't get in. Much rather him than banks. Cumbo anyone in their right mind thinks he'll do any less than Lefau.

McAuliffe has been very good should’ve debuted and Dow out for a few average games. Match committee, team selection has been quite questionable.
Spot on, AT. My thoughts exactly. Are we trying to *smile* Cumbo off elsewhere. Might be another serious mistake.