AFLW Moneypit | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW Moneypit

Throwing money down the drain to appease the vocal minority and not to hurt their feelings.
Put it this way, I bet you if you were running a business that depended on making a profit to feed your kids, you wouldn’t go with AFLW
I think you are looking at AFLW the wrong way. It is not just about the game and the crowds it is about female supporters at the footy club.
My grand daughters want to go and see the women play for the tigers
AFLW is being in a whole new demographic of footy supporters.

Reactions: 2 users
Of all the football codes in the world Australian Rules is the one which should have a strong and vibrant women's comp. Australian Rules has always had more women in the crowd than soccer, rugby etc. Look at old photos and there are plenty of women in the crowd, not so much in other football codes worldwide. it is a developing competition and has already improved out of sight. It will keep getting better and crowds will increase.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
I think you are looking at AFLW the wrong way. It is not just about the game and the crowds it is about female supporters at the footy club.
My grand daughters want to go and see the women play for the tigers
AFLW is being in a whole new demographic of footy supporters.
Just on that at a local level.
Many grassroots clubs that have included AFLW, “Female” Youth teams etc have had a healthy injection of players, supporters and much needed financial benefits come about by embracing female competition and teams. A lot of country clubs had netball affiliates but a lot didn’t.
Some old male dinosaurs were vociferous about females encroaching on their male domain. The truth is, a lot of clubs would have gone under without including female teams and the benefits they bring. Membership, club apparel, after match meals, drinks as well as being involved in administration and other roles. So many are proving to be absolute treasures at grassroots club level.

While, for many of they may start off at a low base, but the improving skills and game knowledge has gone ahead by leaps and bounds.
I find it humorous that men think they know more about the game than females. It’s not always the case.
Say what you like about Daisy Pearce, but I find she has far more insight into the game than many of her male colleagues. Maybe she articulates her observations and opinions better than some of the dills she’s stuck with in the commentary box. That wouldn’t be hard.
On the other hand, I find Kelli Underwood is a bore. Monotonous droning monologue, who to me doesn’t add much as a token female commentator. Daisy has in depth knowledge and is passes on some very astute observations

Reactions: 2 users
Many grassroots clubs that have included AFLW, “Female” Youth teams etc have had a healthy injection of players, supporters and much needed financial benefits come about by embracing female competition and teams. A lot of country clubs had netball affiliates but a lot didn’t.
Some old male dinosaurs were vociferous about females encroaching on their male domain. The truth is, a lot of clubs would have gone under without including female teams and the benefits they bring. Membership, club apparel, after match meals, drinks as well as being involved in administration and other roles. So many are proving to be absolute treasures at grassroots club level.

While, for many of they may start off at a low base, but the improving skills and game knowledge has gone ahead by leaps and bounds.
I find it humorous that men think they know more about the game than females. It’s not always the case.
Say what you like about Daisy Pearce, but I find she has far more insight into the game than many of her male colleagues. Maybe she articulates her observations and opinions better than some of the dills she’s stuck with in the commentary box. That wouldn’t be hard.
On the other hand, I find Kelli Underwood is a bore. Monotonous droning monologue, who to me doesn’t add much as a token female commentator. Daisy has in depth knowledge and is passes on some very astute observations

Agree with all that.

BTW compare Daisy with Jabby Watson - chalk and cheese.

There are some excellent commentators on the footy and you can hear with some of the players that commentate on other teams in the AFLW, they are very knowledgeable. Abby Holmes is ok (she's been Channel 7'd a little bit) but I think Kath Loughlan and Sarah Jones are also very good, following on from other sports. Isa Guha for cricket, several on the pit lane for F1 etc. There are certainly a lot of women out there that have a great knowledge of sports and they have been locked out of this industry for a long time but agree people like Kelli Underwood IMO do more harm than good, things like forgetting GWS's name (who forgets the old "orange team" quip), these sort of things allow these male dinosaurs to jump on and ridicule female presenters.

Reactions: 1 user

Great insight thanks Willo

Love AFLW and very passionate about our team. Can't understand the dissing of it all.

There was some great footage from the Sydney GWS game on the weekend.

Reactions: 5 users
Pretty much every business commits some kind of capital (labor and/or cash) before it makes a return.

AFLW seems a pretty smart risk to take, especially if you get it out of the clash with the regular AFL season where it will just lose. It is a very long term investment though as to get the standard up materially will take another decade and more.

Watching conti go is very similar to watching dusty, albeit without the kicking penetration and tatts. The depth of talent however is very shallow but it did feel to me in the one half of a game I watched that the skills were improved again.

Throwing money down the drain to appease the vocal minority and not to hurt their feelings.
Put it this way, I bet you if you were running a business that depended on making a profit to feed your kids, you wouldn’t go with AFLW

Since when were women the minority?

Reactions: 1 user