2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Trainor is growing on me. But I'm still in the O'Sullivan and Smith camp. We need silk in the midfield.

Trainor would replace Broad or possibly Young if he keeps growing. Gibcus (fingers crossed) and Trainor fill your back half for a decade.
I don't think we will get O Sullivan ,and lm not a big fan of Smith,,he can play but l reckon we can get better.Lalor is good as a mid and up forward
Yeah Trainor is a good player ,could be a key forward .
I expect the champs will bring a few more into discussions ,Draper is a good player.

Yeah he's underdone ,had quite a bit of time of not being able to run ,expect a big second half to the season .
I'm certainly not off, him, bt, and not being able to run could explain it. He is a bull at the contest and a beautiful kick.

Reactions: 1 user
So question here for everyone.

If we have Pick 3 or 4, would we try and trade Pick 1 with North so we can get O'Sullivan? Our Pick plus a later one for O'Sullivan. They don' really need any more midfielders, in terms of quality they have that already with their picks (their issues seem much deeper than talent on the park), but they are desperate for talls, so you'd think they would be keen on Trainer, O'Farrell, Whitlock etc.

What would it cost to trade up the extra couple of spots? I'm not sure there would be a massive market for Pick 1 this year, and if it suits both parties, maybe not much more than the draft pick index?

Probably a similar scenario with Hawthorn too.

Reckon it's too early to say Posh Spice.

What the logical top 10 looks like now will be drastically different come the end of the year. Players will elevate from nowhere and others might drop.

Always happens. We haven't even hit the champs yet. Look at Windsor from Melbourne. Was at Club 80 late last year and Clarke threw his name out as someone he likes that could go around our pick. Ended up going at 7. That was in prob Aug/Sept.

Having a view on what/where/how we trade will be easier then.

Will say though - On North. On type one player they badly need is a big bodied mid. Especially after "losing" Reid and JHF. If Smith is still in the top couple of candidates come the end of the year it will take a lot to prise that pick from them.

One thing linked to this draft. If Bakes wants to leave and go to Freo. We should go massively hard at Josh Treacy.

Contracted and their most likely key forward for decades so won't be easy.

Reckon takes a straight swap, with us throwing something extra in as a starting point.

We'd also need to offer a big multi year contract to sway him.

A 21 year old 195cm key forward with his marking (and overall) potential is exactly what our list needs. He'd complement Balta perfectly as well.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Reckon it's too early to say Posh Spice.

What the logical top 10 looks like now will be drastically different come the end of the year. Players will elevate from nowhere and others might drop.

Always happens. We haven't even hit the champs yet. Look at Windsor from Melbourne. Was at Club 80 late last year and Clarke threw his name out as someone he likes that could go around our pick. Ended up going at 7. That was in prob Aug/Sept.

Having a view on what/where/how we trade will be easier then.

Will say though - On North. On type one player they badly need is a big bodied mid. Especially after "losing" Reid and JHF. If Smith is still in the top couple of candidates come the end of the year it will take a lot to prise that pick from them.
Assume you mean Smillie not Smith?

North badly need key position players, either end. I would expect them to target the best key position players in the draft.

Reactions: 1 users
North badly need key position players, either end. I would expect them to target the best key position players in the draft.

I reckon thats probably both North and Hawks. Its 1 reason why GC may not be looking to trade down their 1st pick, they may be hoping for either Pick 1 or 2 and get ahead of a Lombard pick. If I'm North I'm probably aiming to trade back and turn Pick 1 into 3 picks between 6 and 20 and be targeting talls like O'Farrell, Faull, Whitlock, Allan and Shanahan maybe even supplement that with a small like Champion.

Check out the state of Norths talls on this list. Yikes, potentially makes our talls look good!!

I reckon thats probably both North and Hawks. Its 1 reason why GC may not be looking to trade down their 1st pick, they may be hoping for either Pick 1 or 2 and get ahead of a Lombard pick. If I'm North I'm probably aiming to trade back and turn Pick 1 into 3 picks between 6 and 20 and be targeting talls like O'Farrell, Faull, Whitlock, Allan and Shanahan maybe even supplement that with a small like Champion.

Check out the state of Norths talls on this list. Yikes, potentially makes our talls look good!!

Yeah it is horrible.

I actually read it somewhere as well but I can’t remember where. It was about the potential of them trading out JDU and getting bookends in the draft.

One thing linked to this draft. If Bakes wants to leave and go to Freo. We should go massively hard at Josh Treacy.

Reckon takes a straight swap, with us throwing something extra in as a starting point.

A 21 year old 195cm key forward with his marking (and overall) potential is exactly what our list needs. He'd complement Balta perfectly as well.
Bakes for Tracey?????????

And we have to pay more??????

Outrageous. Step away from the trade table.

This is Andy Collinsesque.

Reactions: 3 users

Its been said on here a few times and I don't get it either.

Whilst I like Treacy and he's been very good this year, he is essentially playing as 3rd banana right now behind Amiss and Jackosn as talls. We need to remember that before this season he'd played 36 games and kicked 29.18 in those games.

He's clearly stepped up this year and performing better than that, but its 7 games. I'm not sure that rockets him into Round 1 trade value.

I think ours and Freos would be too far away to get him in, unless Freo are well into Logan McDonald as many people suspected them to be. They would likely need all 4 of their 1st rounders for him, so would want to use a player in a trade for Bakes.

Agree. We are giving up a 2 time premiership player, that can play very well anywehere, gives his guts every week, vice captain and heart and soul player for a player who has stepped up a bit this year but is still only a 1 to 2 goal a game key forward. Plenty of risk attached to Treacy, none to Bakes. I'm happy to do a swap but more should be coming our way to balance out the trade.

These three will figure in late first round second round selections ,they are good player's .

Flynn Penry, Geelong Grammar

Penry was absolutely dominant in his second game back from an ankle injury. The 201 centimetre ruckman’s follow-up work stood out up against Xavier College, amassing 28 disposals, 19 contested possessions, 12 clearances. He also controlled the air with eight marks on his way to a formidable 166 Premier Data ranking points.

Jesse Dattoli, Carey Grammar

Catching the eye in the early rounds of the Coates League season as a goalkicking midfielder, Dattoli put his exciting attributes on show for Carey over the weekend. Dattoli booted three goals and registered 30 disposals, 19 contested possessions and 141 ranking points in a mammoth performance, doing everything he could to lift his side as they went down to Scotch College by 16 points.

Xavier Ivisic, Geelong Grammar

With Sam Lalor out of the side with AFL Academy commitments, Ivisic stood up in the midfield for Geelong Grammar. The Geelong Falcons prospect was strong in the contest but did his best work in transition, finishing with 36 disposals, 10 rebound 50s, seven clearances, eight marks, a goal and 163 Premier Data ranking points.

Reactions: 3 users

Its been said on here a few times and I don't get it either.

Whilst I like Treacy and he's been very good this year, he is essentially playing as 3rd banana right now behind Amiss and Jackosn as talls. We need to remember that before this season he'd played 36 games and kicked 29.18 in those games.

He's clearly stepped up this year and performing better than that, but its 7 games. I'm not sure that rockets him into Round 1 trade value.

I think ours and Freos would be too far away to get him in, unless Freo are well into Logan McDonald as many people suspected them to be. They would likely need all 4 of their 1st rounders for him, so would want to use a player in a trade for Bakes.

Reckon you need to watch the rise of this guy closely.

Think we all agree a young key forward is the biggest need on our list.

Josh has taken the 7th most contested marks this year - the youngest in the top 10.

Played on Liam Jones for large parts on the weekend and took 5. The most of anyone for the round.

If you think we can draft someone his size in this draft that can be doing that by age 21 - Am all ears.

Would love to keep Bakes but if he goes he will get us around pick 10-12 you'd think. Key forwards with Treacy's output and potential are 100% worth that plus some.

They are extremely hard to find. As we and other clubs are finding out.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Plugged a couple of comparisons in.

I reckon Bakes is comparable to Dion trade-wise, stats stack up at same age. Bakes will be a year older, I think, when traded. Dion a couple more disposals, Bakes more marks and tackles. If Dion was 6, it franks Bakes at 10-12.

Also plugged Treacy in to compare with Noah and H Himmelberg at same age, all 194-5, stacks up very well. More CMs than both. Coming on, will be a player.

Reactions: 2 users

Not a chance they give him up. They have been looking for a key forward since Pav left

Reactions: 1 users
I like Treacy a lot, but yeah, Freo would be mad to trade him. Especially if they then go and overpay for McDonald, who I'm not sure is any better.