2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Knights 18 -Thomas Sims - 199cm key forward who went in the ruck for spells as well. A coordinated 199cm. Runs and jumps at the ball with good timing. Still raw but has the tools to be a modern big forward. Kicked five in Round 1 along with 14 disposals, nine hit-outs, seven marks and three tackles. Wasn't as profilic here as the ball wasn't getting down there and the Knights didn't create space for him at all. Definitely one to watch as a key forward who can ruck not the other way around. He is in the black book.
This from April 4th. This lad kicked 7 on the weekend. Building nicely. Keep watching. I know have him in the frame for one of our picks.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah, was an impressive game. Makes me feel better if we miss O'Sullivan. Still goes to ground a bit too much for my liking.

Meanwhile, Bo Allan has entered the chat. Previously described as a backman, he played mid in the Colts after coming back from the seniors and killed it. Tall, fast, powerful, great mitts, long kick (left-footer bonus). Competitive beast. Very keen to see him hopefully play mid at the Champs.

He does go to ground a bit. Personally, I *** hate that when players do that. Easy to be coached out of but when you do it, you’re 80% out of the game. Stay on your feet. 101 football.

Still not all the way there with Smillie. Yet. He’s pretty good but prefer others. Not sure he fits with what we need. Given he only started playing on the ball late last year, maybe he has big improvement-upside still.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
He does go to ground a bit. Personally, I *** hate that when players do that. Easy to be coached out of but when you do it, you’re 80% out of the game. Stay on your feet. 101 football.

Still not all the way there with Smillie. Yet. He’s pretty good but prefer others. Not sure he fits with what we need. Given he only started playing on the ball late last year, maybe he has big improvement-upside still.
Once again we are in 100% agreement.

One of us must be off his meds.

• Wow
Another 33 disposals/10 clearances for Jagga:

Neat, composed and evasive accumulator/distributor. If we got a second top 10 pick I'd be happy with him assuming Lalor and my new boy Allan are gone.
But, we've already got a Sonzarelli to play seagull distributor, can we actually run two of them?

Not sure why people are saying we don’t need a player like Smillie. Inside beast who hits the scoreboard and now is showing an outside game.

If anything it’s one of our glaring needs.

Reactions: 8 users
Not sure why people are saying we don’t need a player like Smillie. Inside beast who hits the scoreboard and now is showing an outside game.

If anything it’s one of our glaring needs.
"Now showing an outside game". That's the key Coking Faces, he hasn't shown that before. It changes his importance to us. We need to have those types that can go inside to outside. Think LDU, think Jake Solgio. It's not size, it's skill set. Or the reverse, be outside but gointo a stoppage and burst out occasionally. Taranto is pure inside, Hopper isn't on the park enough but at his best can do both, Presita was the classic small man version. That's what the next midfield needs to be. With Smillle, this clip is the first time I've seen him be that. This is the first, "Is that the next Tom Green?" moment for me.

One week but a huge shift. Let's hope we see it again.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah he has that long torso and low centre of gravity like the Daicos boys. Heaps of others like Serong, Neale, Miller etc have that sorta build.

Really helps with his balance.

As others have said, a lot of the year to play out - But reckon he's right alongside everyone bar maybe Smillie as it stands. In Leysy's view anyway.

Also love that he starred as an under ager last year. 28 touches and near a goal a game in the Coates league in a year that is looking reasonably strong.
Ben Miller? If so haven't noticed but delighted to see him mentioned in such company. Just out of interest he is out of contract this year with much improved form and West Coast in a heavy recruiting phase. What do u think it will cost to keep him?

Ben Miller? If so haven't noticed but delighted to see him mentioned in such company. Just out of interest he is out of contract this year with much improved form and West Coast in a heavy recruiting phase. What do u think it will cost to keep him?
Touk Miller, not Ben.

Haarrgh, wrong player but an interesting thought regarding the prospects of Funky. If he holds n improves his form a tad, he'll have near 50 games under the belt and a 25 year old key defender. With McGovern getting old and having a raft of injury issues Wet Coke could certainly use a key defender just coming into his prime, would fit the age profile of their other keys perfectly.
One would hope that after all the effort we've put into developing him that he'd be happy to stay a Tiger. Reckon because he's been only fringe he'd currently be on a fairly basic deal, perhaps $150,000 plus match payments at the moment which would mean he'd be in for doubling his salary to stay if his form holds all year. What would be the lure back to W.A. offer???? Perhaps a $ 450 / $ 500 deal for 3 years with incentives thrown in???? He's not currently in the performance range of getting a mega deal waved at him unless someone's fairly crazy in a recruiting dept.

Reactions: 1 users
A couple of Dandy lads put in strong performances against the Sunz.

Cooper Hynes is a powerful mid-forward, had 23 and kicked 5 (should have been 6 but he Malcolm Blighted one from the goal square):

Havrye Langford has been mentioned before, he had 28 and kicked 3:

Both 190cm. Good users, good hands. Langford averaged 22 disposals as a bottom-ager last year while kicking 10 goals in 14 games. Hynes kicked 18 in 13 games, averaging 17 disposals. He's the more forward, Langford more mid. The both also played for Dandy as 16-year-olds in 2022 (Hynes 3 games, Langford 1) and Langford has been playing in the Academy games and acquitting himself well.

Reactions: 3 users

Cooper Hynes is a powerful mid-forward, had 23 and kicked 5 (should have been 6 but he Malcolm Blighted one from the goal square):

Both 190cm. Good users, good hands. Langford averaged 22 disposals as a bottom-ager last year while kicking 10 goals in 14 games. Hynes kicked 18 in 13 games, averaging 17 disposals. He's the more forward, Langford more mid. The both also played for Dandy as 16-year-olds in 2022 (Hynes 3 games, Langford 1) and Langford has been playing in the Academy games and acquitting himself well.
Hynes is more the mid ,he's a good player with good endurance,,l think Langfords problem is he's a little slow ,but makes up for it with a big body against the juniors.
Hynes ripped the rebels in a game a few weeks ago ,he seemed to be everywhere.

Reactions: 2 users

Watched a few games of Langford’s this week. Knows where to go but a bit on the slow side.