2023 PRE Phantom Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 PRE Phantom Draft

@toothless well done.

I would stoked with him as a rookie.

But I’m amazed how shallow this draft close goes. I’m spewing we don’t have a our first cause I reckon the first 10 are really. Maybe 15. But after that, boy I don’t know.
It's an even draft but I wouldn't definitively say it's a bad one, the ruck options look really good when you consider Barnett was the best option last year. I'd say there will be some drafting for upside, Moir being a classic case, there's also a number of undersized key forwards who may grow, that's a wait and see. Players like ZZ and Goad are on a steep learning curve so it is possible to nail a bargain if you are also prepared to roll the dice with iffy kicking.

Reactions: 1 users
Pass.

Thanks for running the show toofy, great work, thoroughly enjoyed it!
special thanks and shout out to @mrposhman for helping out with the academy/father son bidding calculations. the outcome would have been a dog's breakfast had I tried to work it out.

Reactions: 5 users
GEELONG...FINAL PICK ...

Will Lorenz
State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Boroondara Hawks
Date of Birth: 19/02/05
Height: 186cm

A lightly-built wingman or forward who produced some eye-catching matches last year including an under 17s game against Queensland where he had 32 disposals and kicked three goals to begin to build his profile. A left-footed kick with good speed as well as a neat step through traffic, he mixed his football between Marcellin College and the Oakleigh Chargers, averaging 19.4 disposals in seven matches for the latter. At representative level he played for the Australian under 18 team in their matches against Port Adelaide (SANFL) and Carlton (VFL) as well as playing three matches for Victoria Metro averaging 19 disposals. Tested soundly at the national Draft Combine with his 3.06 seconds for the 20m sprint and 6:33 for the 2km time trial both solid performances. He is the grandson of former Hawthorn premiership captain and AFL Hall of Fame member Graham Arthur.

@mrposhman CARLTON

I'm not sure Carlton will have 4 picks in the real thing, but I'll take it anyway.

Carlton pick Kristian Ferranato with Pick 69.

It pains me to say it, but Carltons list build is fairly well balanced so I went with a balanced approach to the draft and draft various positions.

I'm not sure Carlton will have 4 picks in the real thing, but I'll take it anyway.

Carlton pick Kristian Ferranato with Pick 69.

It pains me to say it, but Carltons list build is fairly well balanced so I went with a balanced approach to the draft and draft various positions.
Going by the forecast numbers of picks, we took an extra dozen.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Toothless and Poshman for running.

Credit to Toothless, you entered the trade period with picks 4, 29, 35, 43, 48, 57, 61, 66 & 69
and walked away from the draft with picks 1, 6, 13 & 27, as well as having an extra 1st rd pick in 24, plus and end of 1st and an extra 2nd rd pick.

So basically got
pick 1 for pick 4,
pick 6 for pick 29,
pick 13 for pick 35,
2024 1st rd pick for pick 43,
end of 1st for pick 48,
pick 27 for pick 57 and
a 2024 rd 2 for picks 61, 66 and 69 and a 2024 4th rd pick.

Seems fair to me, but well done.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
North Melbourne

3. Colby McKercher
4. Daniel Curtin
20. Mitch Edwards
22. Arie Schoenmaker
23. Riley Hardeman
49. Logan Morris
63. Bodie Ryan

When I look at this haul I find it difficult to slate this year's draft class, it's even but for a club looking at rebuilding it would appear to be on the money for adequate coverage across all lines. There's something for everyone if you are prepared to factor in upside and growth once these players hit the big time. Schoemaker is my risky proposition but it's not the beer drinking I'm concerned about, it's his lack of contested game which is awfully low for a second round prospect. The saving grace here is Schoenmaker's intercept numbers are passable, there's a hint of a Sicily type role if he can develop some accountability. I think Clarkson is the right type of coach to bring the best out in Arie, I'd be giving him kick out duties from the get-go and moving Sheezel up the ground.

I've attempted to mitigate any homesickness by grabbing two Tasmanians & three West Australians, this has proven to be a good strategy in the past so happy to follow conventional wisdom. Edwards was my ruck choice given his athletic traits & rapidly improving intercept game but I'd be just as happy with Green if Edwards gets snapped up early. Curtin over Duursma or Watson may come back to bite but I'd rather take the risk knowing the difficulty one faces when sourcing genuine spine players. Curtin could also have stints in the midfield which makes him a tantalising prospect.

At 49 I'm really pleased to have landed Logan Morris, together with Larkey I can see a forward line starting to look like premiership material. I think Morris is the best contested mark in the pool, his height outside of the range one would consider acceptable for a key position prospect but there's still a place as we've seen with Darling, Mihocek & Membrey.

Bodie Ryan is probably a rookie at this stage, not sure if North goes this deep but I'd take the plunge and get rid of some more deadwood that exists on the main playing list. He's the cousin of Jakob Ryan at Collingwood and a very good reader of the play, looks fairly ready-made for a defensive flank.

I should also mention Hardeman, leadership and midfield potential is a nice icing to the WA cake, as captain of his state and a genuine playmaker I think he's ideal for a team rebuilding its defence.

Overall I'd say North are coming and coming hard, one more draft and that window will be prised wide open, I think North's midfield is A class, probably short a couple of key position prospects but all doable next year with a couple of premium picks.

Last edited:
Collingwood

24. Ashton Moir
36. Joel Freijah
61. Vigo Visentini

As premiers Collingwood have the luxury of rolling the dice on Moir, his second year has been underwhelming but that presents itself as an opportunity rather than a red line. Moir was ok in the SANFL reserves, not outstanding but not terrible either. A hip complaint might be the reason for the drop off or it may even be a case of being played out of position. I think with cases such as Moir one probably needs to weight last year a little bit higher than his sophomore year which has been injury interrupted. A player with 50 metre kicking range on either foot can be put to good use, I wouldn't rule out a career in defence either, his marking ability suitable in a rebounding capacity. In any case, Moir has the second best upside for the medium forward role with only Zane Duursma ahead in the pecking order.

At pick 36 Joel Freijah is just what the doctor ordered, this is a clear upgrade on Bianco and looms as a decent replacement for Sidebottom. Most of the athletic data places Freijah at the pointy end of the draft, it's thumbs up for aerobic capacity and speed off the mark. He's also a proven weapon up forward and is generally strong overhead. The aspect I like most is Joel's ability at ground level, there's an effortlessness about the way he mops up once the ball hits the turf and whilst his contested game is still a work in progress I think he'll lift the intensity once in an AFL environment. At times there were hints of a chesty Paul Chapman, a big bodied wrecking ball who proved a handful in one on one situations. This is one player with untapped potential and a perfect fit for the reigning premiers.

At 61 I bit the bullet and grabbed a project ruck, Visentini starved of opportunity at state level but a key player for the Sandringham Dragons. He probably doesn't last very long in the rookie draft so best to nail down this slot in the main draft. Given rucks need 4 years development there's a very good argument for a 2 year deal. Most of his best work was at the tail end of the season so the upside graph looking healthy for any club needing a ruckman. I think Collingwood still a bit thin in this area so it would be prudent to get another project onto the production line.

Will Dawson highlight package
Wow and I mean it in a bad way
The first player who came to mind was Elton, I'd place his kicking on par with some of the recent converts to AFL footy, whether or not there's upside will be largely contingent on refining his kicking technique. Maybe not such a problem as a ruckman but as a key defender or key forward I'd say he's a longshot.

Reactions: 1 user
The first player who came to mind was Elton, I'd place his kicking on par with some of the recent converts to AFL footy, whether or not there's upside will be largely contingent on refining his kicking technique. Maybe not such a problem as a ruckman but as a key defender or key forward I'd say he's a longshot.
Agreed he dropped a lot of marks also