2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Is he locked at the WCE pick? Feels that way from a long way out.

Same with Amiss at the Freo picks. If Freo take Erasmus before the Eagles they take one of Johnson or JVR.

Its such an open draft. I'm thinking that Gibcus may even fall to the Eagles.

This is an idea of where I think the Top 20 could be.

1 - North - JHF
2 - Pies - Daicos
3 - Dogs - Darcy
4 - GWS - Andrew
5 - Suns - Callaghan
6 - Adelaide - Rachele
7 - Hawthorn - Ward
8 - Freo - Erasmus
9 - Richmond - Hobbs
10 - Freo - Amiss
11 - Saints - Sinn
12 - WCE - Gibcus
13 - Essendon - Goater
14 - Port - NWM
15 - GWS - JVR
16 - Brisbane - Johnson
17 - Richmond - Sonsie
18 - Sydney - Draper
19 - Melbourne - Butler
20 - Brisbane - Knevitt

It was a bit of a raffle after Ports pick, but I reckon the top 14 could go like that.

Reactions: 2 users
Just my thoughts

Pick 1 - Horne
Pick 2 - Daicos
Pick 3 - Darcy
Pick 4 - Andrew
Pick 5 - Callaghan
Pick 6 - Rachelle
Pick 7 - Ward or Gibcus
Pick 8 - Gibcus or Amiss
Pick 9 - Hobbs or Ward
Pick 10 - Erasmus

Reactions: 1 user
Really love to try and push our pick 15 up to that 10 mark. Reckons there’s a good chance of landing 2 of Hobbs, Ward, Johnson, Gibcus

Reactions: 1 users
As eDPS pointed out, these are last year’s numbers. Ergo, you’d like to think there was improvement this year.
March 2020 numbers. Normally there would be 18months extra development before the final testing at the combine.

Having said that the 20m is slow. I'd be interested if these are good numbers for the 17 year olds

Really love to try and push our pick 15 up to that 10 mark. Reckons there’s a good chance of landing 2 of Hobbs, Ward, Johnson, Gibcus
I'd be more inclined to grab a late first, think we're in a sweet spot for Sonsie with that pick, I would certainly love to add Taylor, Howes or McDonald to the mix.

Reactions: 3 users
More power to Norf, incredibly smart move. But it changes GC at the draft, they will take one of Hobbs or Ward for sure now. Hurts us.
Surely Greenwood not in their longterm plans. He was to be their mature body for the next 2 years only.
They should get Hobbs if they want Hobbs to play alongside Rowell and Anderson in 2025 , not next year.
They could simply rookie Luke Dunstan and keep on track

I'd be more inclined to grab a late first, think we're in a sweet spot for Sonsie with that pick, I would certainly love to add Taylor, Howes or McDonald to the mix.
If there is an opportunity to get both Hobbs and Johnson, wouldnt we want that over Taylor ?

Reactions: 1 users
March 2020 numbers. Normally there would be 18months extra development before the final testing at the combine.

Having said that the 20m is slow. I'd be interested if these are good numbers for the 17 year olds
The average has usually been around the 3.07 mark but the numbers can vary a bit depending on technique. Sometimes you get a kid who launches off the wrong foot (see Dan Connors) or you might be able to tweak the positioning of the heel to get maximum acceleration. Generally speaking speed is to difficult manufacture, you can alter the running patterns, for example have a shorter first step which can improve things somewhat, you may also be able to shave a bit of time off with strength and conditioning.

Reactions: 2 users
If there is an opportunity to get both Hobbs and Johnson, wouldnt we want that over Taylor ?
Sure but at what cost? You need to compare that with two players, Sonsie + Taylor is basically what you're talking about.

Maybe an alternative is to use our 2022 first. Normally I'd be against it but it might be a chance to get two prime midfielders.
Time to be audacious.

Trade 1 in 2 parts
Part 1 trade out our 2022 first for a mid round 2021 first. Example Saints 9 for Tigers 2022 1st.
Part 2 live trade out our 26 for a 2022 3rd or 4th round. Example Saints 2022 49 for Tigers 26. This trade is made only when its time for pick 26.

Effectively both trades combined make a fair and equal trade. But its done in two parts so that it doesnt spoil the academy picks.

We could trade with either Saints or Giants, both of whom have academy picks slated to go 15-30 which will be matched with their late picks.
As they dont want to spoil these academy picks, we trade them 26 at the point of pick 26 means that it doesnt get used on the academy pick. That way they get a pick this year, plus our first next year.

End result is that we would hold 7, 9, 15, 27,28.
we could take Johnson Hobbs Sonsie xx xxx

Sure but at what cost? You need to compare that with two players, Sonsie + Taylor is basically what you're talking about.
Its a case of targeting another pick 8-12 to get another top mid, as opposed to targeting a pick 18-21 to get a Taylor /MacDonald.

Its a case of targeting another pick 8-12 to get another top mid, as opposed to targeting a pick 18-21 to get a Taylor /MacDonald.
But what sort of capital are you talking? To get that done you might have to give up two second rounders.

The average has usually been around the 3.07 mark but the numbers can vary a bit depending on technique. Sometimes you get a kid who launches off the wrong foot (see Dan Connors) or you might be able to tweak the positioning of the heel to get maximum acceleration. Generally speaking speed is to difficult manufacture, you can alter the running patterns, for example have a shorter first step which can improve things somewhat, you may also be able to shave a bit of time off with strength and conditioning.
Johnson 20m was under 3s. Its what we need

Reactions: 3 users
But what sort of capital are you talking? To get that done you might have to give up two second rounders.
Say we picked Johnson (at pick 7), then I'd give up next years first to get Hobbs (at Saints pick 9).
We keep 15 to get Sonsie

Midfield is set with Johnson, Hobbs, Sonsie

And we are not left hoping that a Taylor or MacDonald is still available at 26.

Say we picked Johnson (at pick 7), then I'd give up next years first to get Hobbs (at Saints pick 9).
We keep 15 to get Sonsie

Midfield is set with Johnson, Hobbs, Sonsie

And we are not left hoping that a Taylor or MacDonald is still available at 26.
That's a tremendous mix, very appealing but what happens if was go into full rebuild mode? It's one of those seasons which is difficult to predict, we could be giving up a key position prospect.

That's a tremendous mix, very appealing but what happens if was go into full rebuild mode? It's one of those seasons which is difficult to predict, we could be giving up a key position prospect.
We're winning the flag, mate, not rebuilding.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users