2018 Drafts Revisited | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2018 Drafts Revisited

McInerney is the one at Sydney, plays off half back.

Was considering Rozee to be higher too.

I think Rowbottom at 10 shows how weak the draft was, though arguably Quaynor should be above him.
Haven’t seen much of McInerney so my apologies.
I know Bailey Smith comes across as a knob ( I coached him at U/15s and he’s actually a really good kid from a good family) but I’d have him higher too.
Agree re Quaynor. Hitting his straps and has now performed in a final so gets credits for that

The Kings before Lukosius every day and twice on Sundays.

Nice player, and that is not a compliment. One of the guys who's reputation is he is an elite kick.

But he clangers wayyyyy too many to be regarded as that.

Maybe Dimma will straighten him out. But he's overrated at this stage.

Reactions: 2 users
The Kings before Lukosius every day and twice on Sundays.

Nice player, and that is not a compliment. One of the guys who's reputation is he is an elite kick.

But he clangers wayyyyy too many to be regarded as that.

Maybe Dimma will straighten him out. But he's overrated at this stage.
His goal kicking was fine, 39.22, that's perfectly acceptable, I'd much rather Lukosius taking a kick after the siren than one of the King brothers.

His goal kicking was fine, 39.22, that's perfectly acceptable, I'd much rather Lukosius taking a kick after the siren than one of the King brothers.

They aren't spoken of as elite kicks.

Can't be arsed looking up any stats, but the eye says he burns the ball more than most (along with pulling off some elite kicks).

They aren't spoken of as elite kicks.

Can't be arsed looking up any stats, but the eye says he burns the ball more than most (along with pulling off some elite kicks).
2.7 clangers a match, not great, not terrible, agree it's far from elite but a good coach can fine tune the decision making. Lukosius is tracking on schedule and I'd be generally happy as a recruiter. Max King is the one who is grossly overrated in my opinion, his fragile body plus his tendency to shank the easy ones spells frustration. Ben King I think has exceeded expectations, particularly after serving as a defender at junior level. But I'd still take Lukosius, durability and flexibility wins hands down.

Reactions: 1 user
For me Lukosius is just an ok player, I'm not sure he ever becomes elite. Just doesn't get enough of the ball for me.

To further counter. Career goalkicking:

Max King: 140.103
Ben King: 129.75
Lukosios: 56.54

And this is not to show the Kings's are good kicks, but that Lukosius is very unreliable (and sometimes brilliant).

Last edited:

And this is not to show the Kings's are good kicks, but that Lukosius is very unreliable (and sometimes brilliant).
Any list manager worth his salt would draft Max King in front of Lukosios.
Power forward v a swing man/third tall

Reactions: 2 users

I didn't take much notice of Lukosius when he had his brief stints in the forward line prior to this season, most of his time was spent in defence, often as the spare. He was wasteful at times, I won't be arguing that case, but I'm more focused on what he can do as a forward, this year he looked the part. Max King is like Richo, heart in the mouth type stuff, he also gets hurt a lot, that's also not surprising given he did an ACL as a teenager. Ben King is a better kick than Max, I think the stats back that up. Lukosious & Ben King had pretty similar goal kicking stats this year but Lukosius has better overall efficiency. Projecting forward I think both will do well but 200 games for Ben will require a clean bill of health, that would be my primary concern.

Any list manager worth his salt would draft Max King in front of Lukosios.
Power forward v a swing man/third tall
Max King will struggle to play 200 games, he's too frail. For a power forward 1.7 contested marks a game isn't anything jaw dropping.

He’s still very young.
Once his body matures, he’ll be unstoppable.
Only 23 years old. Very early days. I suppose if it depends how much maturing his body has or if the physical battering takes it’s toll.
Most kpp have a bit more bulk, his physique is very wire. Might be ok for a runner like an M.Tuck. But as a kpp it’s a maybe

For me Lukosius is just an ok player, I'm not sure he ever becomes elite. Just doesn't get enough of the ball for me.
Seriously besides the headless chook and Anderson the rest don't give a shiitt playing at GC. It's easy money.
I've seen him play, he is top level quality. Close to the best kick in the comp. He just looks like he can't be fked.

On Atrosius, I have to confess that I am a hater.

Having been the worst kick of a football ever drafted as the opposite until the end of 2022, Atrosius lifted massively in 2023. Chiefly, in his field kicking he started to look before he kicked. He'd never done that before. Lowering his eyes, choosing a target, hitting a target. And he was kicking shorter.

His goal kicking has improved massively. More realistic shots a major reason. Taking the time to aim, another.

ATM Atrosius is a big flanker. He's not a tall. On defending him Damien Dogwick said of him this year - Nathan Broad will play on Jack Atrosius next week and Nathan Broad will beat Jack Atrosius. Nathan Broad wiped the floor with Atrosius (12 touches for 2 SI including 1 behind). He'll do that to flankers.

That said, Atrosius is a quirky type and improving. If he can further develop his leading and goal kicking he may make a Gunston type. Or better. The bloke is busy. At this stage though I prefer Jack Watts.

He'll have a football coach (who seems to hate on him) next year. And we'll get a better idea.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
2023 Lukosius:

297 Disposals for 85 Turnover

Here are th heatmaps from his last three games-

1694750884375.png
1694750916481.png
1694750929610.png

Bailey Williams finsihed 6th in West Coast's B&F, only 1 vote off a top 5 finish. Credit where credit is due, season highlights include 23 disposals against Goldy (close to the best performance against the Kangas legend all year), 20 disposals versus the Crows and 21 disposals versus the Power. For a player who is yet to hit 50 games those numbers are impressive and he would easily slot into the top 25 players of 2018.

Bobby Hill's stocks may have risen recently. Is he in the top ten for this draft yet?