Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Why does any rule exist? I think there are three main reasons in modern footy:
  1. Crimes against safety
  2. Crimes against fairness
  3. Crimes against flow
Reason 1 exists for obvious reasons. Although it’s constantly changing at the moment, it’s always been there to some degree. It’s not sexy but blokes shouldn’t die out there. I get it.

Reason 2 underpins the integrity of the game’s status as an actual contest. Being held off the ball or blocked from contesting a mark. That sort of stuff. It separates sport from theatrical performance.

Reason 3 is purely aesthetic, and in my opinion, is casting a steadily moving shadow across reason 2. Blokes caught cold in tackles and dropping the ball are given an increasing benefit of the doubt under the very elastic ‘ball knocked free’ sham. The tackler’s out of the contest, having worked his butt off chasing and grounding and opponent, while said opponent’s teammate runs free with the spilled footy. And blatant chucking? Play on. Why?

Because flow.

As long as the ball keeps moving, fairness is secondary. Umpires are adjudicating less on fairness and more on (perceived) attractiveness. Whenever a new rule, such as stand, really stinks you’ll normally find the flow philosophy at its heart.

Now I’m not against flow. We did it all the time when I played in the 80’s. We called it circle work.

Reactions: 1 users
Two hump officials went to Geelong to meet Salty & discuss his concerns over humps tin whistle blowing this year. Hope Salty paid for their time & petrol.

Reactions: 1 user
Just when u think it cannot get worse.

I want umpire unappreciation week. What s pack of high pitched midget cheating twerps.

Reactions: 3 users
Have been against speaking out on the umpiring but tonight has changed my mind. Yze needs to demand action on the Hipwood sling tackle on Vlastuin that resulted in a free against Vlastuin!

Reactions: 9 users
Have been against speaking out on the umpiring but tonight has changed my mind. Yze needs to demand action on the Hipwood sling tackle on Vlastuin that resulted in a free against Vlastuin!
He’s too soft and nice. That’s the problem with the club as whole. We need to have the balls to call the umpiring bias out.

Forget cursing about the umpires as some of our players are.A bad workman always blames the tools.

Ha ha. Short, not worth a used condom now. How is he vice- capt?

Mansell is crazy brave. Wish Short and Brown could show a fraction of his courage

Asking for a friend. Is there an AFL rule called behind the nine?

The trouble is some of our indisciplined players are playing into the umpires hands and it colours their judgement on our team as a whole so we then end up getting hammered by them and get nothing.

Pickett gets done for high after opponent ducks!
These umps could do a few cultural bias courses. Not infering anything untowards.
Just saying AFL.

Pop quiz sports fans. 2 questions.
In 2024 a team has the ball knocked out in the tackle. Ump response, play on. Who tackled who?
In 2024 a team has the ball knocked out in the tackle. Ump response, free kick Brisbane. Who tackled who?
It's not a change in outcome, who actually gives a *smile*, but the actions of the umps fro the first free to Joe the goose shows how absolutely *smile* we are in the AFL.