Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Copped a hip-drop tackle. Interestingly enough they got banned in NRL for this reason. Cant really police that in AFL.

Reactions: 1 users
5 kicks, 4 has,
5 effective disposals. He went at 55% disposal efficiency. 4 clangers, 3 turnovers! 100 mg., 2 tackles, 4 SI, SuperCoach 33
If he was one of our sparks it didn’t spark too bright for too long.
Apart from 4 SI he didn’t do much at all. His furious running belies what he actually does. He stats showed where we’re at.
Another meh game.
He does seem to have a lot of almost moment

Reactions: 2 users
Just reported on the VFL feed that MRJ will have surgery on a syndesmosis injury.
Rotten luck for him and I don't know the severity but surgery is often a better option for a quicker and stronger recovery. In 2018 Butler had a syndes. injury and it was treated conservatively for too long and he missed the last 7 weeks at AFL level. Later the same year i think Lambert had a syndes. injury and they operated immediately and he only missed a few games but every case is different.

• Love
Looks like the dreaded syndesmosis.

Will be out for sometime.

On a football front I can’t for the life of me work out why the last few games he is back playing deep forward.

Was only thrown up the ground in the last quarter.
Yep syndesmosis injuries worry me. Players have had their careers ended due to recurrent issues. Won't see him again this year I wouldn't think.

Yep syndesmosis injuries worry me. Players have had their careers ended due to recurrent issues. Won't see him again this year I wouldn't think.
The surgery option may improve the outcome for this injury depends on the damage. Hopefully only miss some weeks rather than the season.

Last edited:
Not surprised thats a very unfortunate injury for Maurice and at the worst time as he was starting to improve his game and was starting to get some midfield time.

The fact Jnr does not return to preseason in very good nick is a concern with this lengthy lay off he will be under plenty of scrutiny to minimise the damage during his period of non-weight bearing.

Hopefully the lad has a full recovery.

Disapointing injury.

Thanks Trelol you clampet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't believe Tresize haa surgery. General consensus seems to be 3-6 months if surgery was required.
Like any joint injury it depends on the severity of the damage and what specific surgery is required. Jnr was in a lot of pain and carried off so his would be at least a moderate amount of damage and it certainly could be many months recovery. Tresize may not have had surgery and Lambert in 2018 had a minor syndy in the 1st qtr but played out the game then limped into the club the next day. He had a minor procedure and only missed 2 matches at season's end but he didn't star in those finals. Tough on Jnr when he was getting more comfortable at the level.

I really dislike Trelor - I was sitting close by and he seemed genuinely concerned and gave Maurice a tap or word of encouragement a couple of times when he was hurt.
I still dislike him - just not as much as I did.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol you clearly have no idea, not at any point was he a project player, was a highly rated junior who Freo was desperate to pinch off us.
If it wasn't for F/S he would have been drafted in the top 30 without a doubt.
WTF are u in about? Is this a joke? One of the funniest things I have heard on hear. What’s Freo got to do with anything?

U clearly know not much about how the draft and father son works.

How funny that Rioli mentioned this in an interview last week and said tigers were going to rookie him but anyway u know best.

Shame he will miss Dreamtime in a year in which he designed the guernsey. Pretty sure that happened to another player previously, perhaps Stack?

• Sad
WTF are u in about? Is this a joke? One of the funniest things I have heard on hear. What’s Freo got to do with anything?

U clearly know not much about how the draft and father son works.

How funny that Rioli mentioned this in an interview last week and said tigers were going to rookie him but anyway u know best.
Maurice Snr played 118 games for Sth Fremantle, so he could have been taken as a father son by them too.
He was also in Essendon's NGA zone. He could have gone there too.

I thought that only players who had played at least 150 games for Freo could be considered for father and son.

I thought that only players who had played at least 150 games for Freo could be considered for father and son.
Because they’ve got links to South Fremantle, players who played for them can be considered as father son. When we were first interested in MJR, they were listed as a possibility, although he was never going to go anywhere other than Richmond.