Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes verses the Swannies - Easter Round

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Wwhy on earth has Dusty been playing when clearly hampered?
why was Gibcus/Prestia played again within 5 days of an interstate game? Why was Daniel Rioli played clearly hindered at the end of last season when the results didn't matter (losing would have helped come draft day)? I could continue.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigerwa

Tiger Cub
Mar 20, 2024
What i would have liked to see for what its worth.

From what i can gather Naismith, Sonsie, McAuliffe and Cumberland have been very good in the two's. In they come simply rewarding good form as opposed to continued support for bad form in the seniors. Ralphsmith while im no fan is in the same boat.

Young and Broad come off injury and are needed in a badly depleted backline when it comes to talls. That is seven changes and imo they make sense and are logical.
I also think its time to try a few players in different but similar roles. Mansell had a good game as a forward lets see if he can bring similar defensive pressure to the small swan forwards as a backman. Pickett i have always wanted to see what he can bring from half back having watched him dominate there when he was with south freo. He is the type who will have the opposition looking over their shoulders.
Brown and Rioli stay in running roles just on the wings.

Clarke and Cumberland are logical small forward options and have to be better forward options than Maurice and Mansell. Campbell makes up a handy small triumvirate.

B: Vlastuin - Young - Mansell
HB: Pickett - Miller - Broad

C: Brown - McAuliffe - Rioli
R: Nankervis - Taranto - Bolton

HF: Clarke - Balta - Campbell
F: Naismith - Lynch - Cumberland

Int: Sonsie - Ross - Baker - Ralphsmith.

Sub Lefau.

Reactions: 2 users

scooty1986

Tiger Cub
Oct 3, 2023
Yze got the job as he is a Livingston yes man promised he wouldn't change a thing

Where mini wanted to 360 the joint

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Played a blinder a couple of weeks back in the 2nd half. Just hasn't been given a good run of games since end of 22 when he played 8 games and kicked 20 goals. That's equivalent of an almost 60 goal season. And 8 goal assists, another 20 goals or so equivalent. I wonder if he's already hinted that he'll be moving on as an unrestricted free agent. We'll get nothing for him anyway.
If you trawl through posts you will find me very supportive of Cumbo being in the team but his form is not up to selection, simple as that. 2022 form yes

This is what the vfl coach said about him. I have watched him in the last few weeks and he is getting better but not screaming out to be picked imo.

Noah Cumberland (11 disposals, four inside-50s, two marks, two goals)

"Noah has played a couple of very different games over the last couple of weeks. But, the aspect of his game that has really stood out has been his defensive pressure and that's something that we really value and are definitely looking to see him continue to build. It was good to see him getting a little bit of reward on the scoreboard on the weekend, he's trending in a really positive direction

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Did you watch the game last week V GC. Played well and was in our best 5 on the ground. Defensively very good, Kicked two, well really 3 Archie May kicked a goal which was Cumbos free 5 meters out but may just waltzed into goal (took the advantage). Cumbo also had a few Goal assists.

The line needs to play a few more better games is *smile*, why? because what did Lefau do in the ressies to get a debut game. What has banks done to get games in the seniors, ill answer it for you nothing. Junior the same no set of good games to warrant senior selection. Mansell had a good game last week but had done SFA in the ressies “preseason games” albeit injured for a few weeks but nonetheless didn’t do anything to warrant senior selection, he just got selected.

In the preseason games Cumbo also had 3 goals and 3 goal assists.

Banks stays in with two average games. Lefau had a terrible game last week but stays in. Clarke got in for a quarter looked ok 4 disposals but he's out. Ralphsmith very impressive last week but can't get in. Much rather him than banks. Cumbo anyone in their right mind thinks he'll do any less than Lefau.

McAuliffe has been very good should’ve debuted and Dow out for a few average games. Match committee, team selection has been quite questionable.
Cumbo was not in our best 5 on the ground last week, I watched basically the whole game. He kicked one really good goal, another long goal from a dodgy free kick and had 6 possessions to 3 quarter time. He had a good last quarter.

Is working hard defensively. Needs a couple of good vfl games to be considered.

Not sure which match you were watching.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Seriously what has Banks Dow MJ done to keep getting games?
Probably not a whole lot.
But the trouble with playing the younger potential players for a three or four game block so that you get some time for them to feel comfortable at the level n pressure and actually see what they can or can't do. Is that you then actually have to play them for that three or four game block and not just chuck the toys out of the cot n throw them back into the magoos after one game because they're not instant Dusty.
We've got a whole season of the coach shuffling players into and out of the side to see who can or can't do what in blocks of three or four games and that's on top of whatever changes we're forced to make covering for injuries n nose candy episodes.

Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Probably not a whole lot.
But the trouble with playing the younger potential players for a three or four game block so that you get some time for them to feel comfortable at the level n pressure and actually see what they can or can't do. Is that you then actually have to play them for that three or four game block and not just chuck the toys out of the cot n throw them back into the magoos after one game because they're not instant Dusty.
We've got a whole season of the coach shuffling players into and out of the side to see who can or can't do what in blocks of three or four games and that's on top of whatever changes we're forced to make covering for injuries n nose candy episodes.
Exactly TM ..100%

Reactions: 1 users

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
Played a blinder a couple of weeks back in the 2nd half. Just hasn't been given a good run of games since end of 22 when he played 8 games and kicked 20 goals. That's equivalent of an almost 60 goal season. And 8 goal assists, another 20 goals or so equivalent. I wonder if he's already hinted that he'll be moving on as an unrestricted free agent. We'll get nothing for him anyway.
Spot on .He was THE shinning light by the end of 2022.Yet something unfathomable to us happened and he hadnt been givin a run of gamrs since .Meanwhile we frustrating gifted games to former stars ( but way past having any impact as fowards ) edwards and cotchin.Now jack graham who is not a foward, We played a bopelessly oyt of position Pickett there .And now the very average to poor Mansell and the 1 goal in 11 games and 2 tackles a week Mauruce Rioli .
Why on earth Cumbo is playing is baffling.He will leave and be a 40 to 50 goals a year player at the cats or pies etc...
Its depressing .

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Why on earth Cumbo is playing is baffling.He will leave and be a 40 to 50 goals a year player at the cats or pies etc...
Its depressing .
He wouldn't come close to getting a game in either of those two teams

Reactions: 3 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Going to be interesting that we are playing 2 players less than the Swans tomorrow
How Banks and Rioli get a game is laughable
I love the Tiges , but this is a joke

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
It looks like we would have to swap our teams to win a game on Sunday.
Injuries killing us.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
why was Gibcus/Prestia played again within 5 days of an interstate game? Why was Daniel Rioli played clearly hindered at the end of last season when the results didn't matter (losing would have helped come draft day)? I could continue.
Gibcus’s ACL had nothing to do with the 5 day break.

Anyway, a lot of contract bonuses are tied to the number of games played in a season. Players have mortgages too and often the financial rewards are worth the risks.

Feb 25, 2007
Cumbo was not in our best 5 on the ground last week, I watched basically the whole game. He kicked one really good goal, another long goal from a dodgy free kick and had 6 possessions to 3 quarter time. He had a good last quarter.

Is working hard defensively. Needs a couple of good vfl games to be considered.

Not sure which match you were watching.

Was thinking the same about you what game were you watching. Then again when you start by saying he copped a dodgy free or he had X amount of disposals shows that you're quite simply trying to downplay his game. Luckily, many posters on BF and PRE had him in their best 5, so it's not just me it's many. He's kicked a few goals, dished off a few, and defensively very sound what else do you want from a half-forward?

Junior had 4 disposals against Carlton. Banks 5 against Port and subbed. Lefau had 5 V Port and didn't trouble the scoreboard. Your reasoning that he should be doing more doesn't make sense when others are doing less. We need goal-kicking small-med forwards and Cumbo fits the bill. Hard at it. Strong one-on-one, quick and kicks goals.

These were the 5 best tigers V GC In this order;

McAuliffe
Naismith
Sonsie
Raphsmith
Cumberland

Reactions: 4 users
Feb 25, 2007
Spot on, AT. My thoughts exactly. Are we trying to *smile* Cumbo off elsewhere. Might be another serious mistake.

The rules and expectations for Cumbo seem higher than what others need to do to get games.
A small to med forward who kicks 2-3 goals, a few goal assists and is defensively minded you cant ask for more, well unless your name is Noah Cumberland.

Against Carlton in the pracccy game, I thought Cumbo did well. Also, the game where he kicked 3 goals and 3 goal assists wasn't enough :unsure:

Now if Junior got those same stats you know he'd be straight in, then again he's in with not even close to cumbos stats this preseason. Banks produces not much but gets games. Ralpsmith could play his role in his sleep and at least is performing in the ressies. Lefau lets face it it was a good story was rapt for him to get on the list but by no means should have gotten a debut on his current ressies form

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The rules and expectations for Cumbo seem higher than what others need to do to get games.
A small to med forward who kicks 2-3 goals, a few goal assists and is defensively minded you cant ask for more, well unless your name is Noah Cumberland.

Against Carlton in the pracccy game, I thought Cumbo did well. Also, the game where he kicked 3 goals and 3 goal assists wasn't enough :unsure:

Now if Junior got those same stats you know he'd be straight in, then again he's in with not even close to cumbos stats this preseason. Banks produces not much but gets games. Ralpsmith could play his role in his sleep and at least is performing in the ressies. Lefau lets face it it was a good story was rapt for him to get on the list but by no means should have gotten a debut on his current ressies form

My view on Cumbo is that I like him and he COULD be very good, BUT the way the game is played right now is based around team defence. We didn't get it done in the 1's last week either, so should have been a big focus in training this week so lets see how team defence goes on Sunday, but this has been a recurrent theme with Cumbo, is defensive intent. Team defence is valued much higher than anything, whats the point in kicking 2 goals, if your lack of defensive focus, allows players to attack into space the other day and could lead to opportunities to the opposition far bigger than the 2 goals kicked.

I think thats what the coaches have seen (and multiple coaches) rather than some innane conspiracy theory that Livingstone doesn't like him and won't allow him to be played.

Noah has great talent with the ball, though needs to make sure he doesn't drop his head like he has in previous years after a mistake, AFL is a mistakes business, you need to learn to let the mistake go and move onto the next contest which is something he has struggled with in the past.

Now if our team defence continues as poorly as it was at times last week, then we need to continue to rotate those that won't do the team defence thing. People say why are we prioritising Mansell etc over Cumbo and its down to team defence, similar to Maurice. Now I don't really get the Maurice love from the coaches as much, obviously team defence from him is pretty good, but he just has no idea of where to be going the other way, so for me, 1 doesn't outweigh the other, likewise for Cumbo, 1 doesn't outweigh the other. I'd personally have neither of them in the team right now, but for me Cumbo should be ahead of Maurice, so this selection does bemuse me.