Young tall backs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Young tall backs

Astbury should be starting CHB!! with Chaplin backup. Next in line is Elton and with some more games in the Vfl hopefully can step up another notch or two next year.

Rance, Chaplin and Grimes the incumbants. Astbury, Elton & Broad back-ups. Griffith & McIntosh able to swing there if we have injuries during a match. Batchelor ok for 3rd talls but not not KP's. I think we have good coverage

Tiller said:
Rance, Chaplin and Grimes the incumbants. Astbury, Elton & Broad back-ups. Griffith & McIntosh able to swing there if we have injuries during a match. Batchelor ok for 3rd talls but not not KP's. I think we have good coverage
Serious?
Astbury, has had major injury problems have drastically curtailed his career.
Elton??? Geez, not much of anything so far, needs to at least start cracking a senior game this year.
Broad? A running back flanker from the WAFL, unknown with a step to take simply to transition to AFL level.
Griffith. Most of his career as a fwd / ruck, has played a few defensive games at VFL level but is yet to transition fully as a senior in his usual role.
McIntosh, played some running half back developing at VFL, been an excellent transition to the wing in his first senior year. Would think his value would be more as a big midfielder as his game develops more.
Think we're bloody skinny for key defenders developing to transition n we could be in trouble if Tross or Chappie have a major injury issue.

TigerMasochist said:
Serious?
Astbury, has had major injury problems have drastically curtailed his career.
Elton??? Geez, not much of anything so far, needs to at least start cracking a senior game this year.
Broad? A running back flanker from the WAFL, unknown with a step to take simply to transition to AFL level.
Griffith. Most of his career as a fwd / ruck, has played a few defensive games at VFL level but is yet to transition fully as a senior in his usual role.
McIntosh, played some running half back developing at VFL, been an excellent transition to the wing in his first senior year. Would think his value would be more as a big midfielder as his game develops more.
Think we're bloody skinny for key defenders developing to transition n we could be in trouble if Tross or Chappie have a major injury issue.
I think Elton is the one they're looking at to transition into the role after Chaplin retires, but that won't be for a few years. Rance is irreplaceable, most important play on the list for mine. Astbury will be lucky to still be on the list after next year, nothing against him, but the injuries have killed his career.

IMO RFC are using the draft well... Trading needs work i think we all agree!!!!

Enough said about Rioli although for mine needs to play round 1, needs to play, his upside is massive and should come on quickly if exposed to AFL..

Weve selected drafts where its deep and this year not deep, IMO they think Chappy, berry and elton can give us cover for next couple of years..

The draft next year is apprently very deep and thick, i am sure we will take everything to bank and possibly try to upgrade on picks with players they think have had enough opportunity...

might also need to get more points in the bank if young Naishs sons comes on....

this year alot of side picked key forward and backs, next year the same clubs will go for mids, rather backing up more key positions, we should find our prizes.

CarnTheTiges said:
I think Elton is the one they're looking at to transition into the role after Chaplin retires, but that won't be for a few years.
Four years n two games with only an extension for 2016 does not read like there's a few years left for Elton to make the transition. He'd want to be thumping Chaplin around the ears n pushing him off the paddock pretty soon or he won't have a role to transition into at Tigerland.

TigerMasochist said:
Four years n two games with only an extension for 2016 does not read like there's a few years left for Elton to make the transition. He'd want to be thumping Chaplin around the ears n pushing him off the paddock pretty soon or he won't have a role to transition into at Tigerland.
Was extended until end of 2017.

Rancey18 said:
Was extended until end of 2017.
Was it? Lucky Todd then, still needs to pull the finger out n get some senior games under the belt n establish himself in 16, spent way to long just bubbling away.
Hoping the Beanster also pokes his big arse into the senior team a few times next year as well. Need both of them pushing up before they start stagnating.

TigerMasochist said:
Was it? Lucky Todd then, still needs to pull the finger out n get some senior games under the belt n establish himself in 16, spent way to long just bubbling away.
Hoping the Beanster also pokes his big arse into the senior team a few times next year as well. Need both of them pushing up before they start stagnating.
Yep, our tall back situation is very concerning IMO. Chaplin is on his last legs, Elton unproven at AFL level and Astbury lack of leg speed due to injuries so doubts over him. Was really hoping we'd get one of Mitch Brown and Hartley.

Reckon at the moment we're still better served with rucks n back up there than we are in the key back half. Unless *smile* gets back into form in 2016 We're in serious trouble if Tross or Chappy go down. Definitely need Elton to put up the hand next season n would have hoped we'd be looking at developing another junior defender around the 195cm mark as well for in a few years time.

I reckon we are thin on the ground with replacement backs. Elton has shown next to nothing in his time at Tigerland so I expect little this season. Astbury has the talent but injuries have slowed him down to a crawl so who else have we that are genuine backmen should anyone of the main group goes down?

UKTiger said:
I reckon we are thin on the ground with replacement backs. Elton has shown next to nothing in his time at Tigerland so I expect little this season. Astbury has the talent but injuries have slowed him down to a crawl so who else have we that are genuine backmen should anyone of the main group goes down?
Yep, can't see Todd or Dave being successful as KPP. Chaplin will have a quick decline. Hopefully we can snare one in today's rookie draft but I suspect we,Lo be getting more 187cm type mids/flankers.