" Worst Decision in the history of sport": Richo on Alex Rance's double penalty | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

" Worst Decision in the history of sport": Richo on Alex Rance's double penalty

vernissage

Tiger Matchwinner
May 28, 2005
Mark, not touched- not paid. 50 m penalty for crisp and accurate return of the ball. West Coast goal.
[youtube=560,315]VWu2nPBQIUw[/youtube]

Mick and Richo are over the top, but it was a really bad decision. Can anyone other than the umpire actually see anything in what Rance did? I also think that particular umpire should put mind reading in his CV, because unless he could actually hear Alex's internal thoughts there was no way that ball toss could be seen as demonstrative. There was no force behind it, the umpire caught it neatly and he didn't toss it away from him, he didn't even throw it directly at him as I've seen others do in a fit of pique.

CarnTheTiges said:
Mick and Richo are over the top, but it was a really bad decision. Can anyone other than the umpire actually see anything in what Rance did? I also think that particular umpire should put mind reading in his CV, because unless he could actually hear Alex's internal thoughts there was no way that ball toss could be seen as demonstrative. There was no force behind it, the umpire caught it neatly and he didn't toss it away from him, he didn't even throw it directly at him as I've seen others do in a fit of pique.

Totally agree. And I'm disheartened to hear our former skipper Wayne Campbell in his new guise as umpiring fuhrer proclaim the merits of adding yet another umpire, making it four on the field of play at any one time. Campbell's rationale is that missed free kicks will be reduced from an average of six per game to three. May I politely contend...who gives a toss? We're not there to count the times an opponent's right buttock infringes in the protected area, or how a 50m kick tumbles down the boundary line and may or may not be deliberate. We're there to see the contest, not the rigid, scientific interpretation of yet another rule change.

While I agree EJC, unless the media, and us fans, stop analyzing, reviewing, debating, watching from multiple slow motion views, every potentially contentious decision or non decision the umps make, I understand their desire to miss a lot less

Baloo said:
While I agree EJC, unless the media, and us fans, stop analyzing, reviewing, debating, watching from multiple slow motion views, every potentially contentious decision or non decision the umps make, I understand their desire to miss a lot less

Yes, very true. Therein lies the conundrum...

EJC said:
. Campbell's rationale is that missed free kicks will be reduced from an average of six per game to three.

How could they possibly know that. And of course there will be increased inconsistency.

EJC said:
Totally agree. And I'm disheartened to hear our former skipper Wayne Campbell in his new guise as umpiring fuhrer proclaim the merits of adding yet another umpire, making it four on the field of play at any one time. Campbell's rationale is that missed free kicks will be reduced from an average of six per game to three. May I politely contend...who gives a toss? We're not there to count the times an opponent's right buttock infringes in the protected area, or how a 50m kick tumbles down the boundary line and may or may not be deliberate. We're there to see the contest, not the rigid, scientific interpretation of yet another rule change.

Bravo! So true.

I remember Bob Davis years ago claiming that the way they were going, they wouldn't be satisfied until every player on the ground had his own personal umpire. Starting to think he may not have been far wrong.