'Winning a Final' and the media's influence on club psyche | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'Winning a Final' and the media's influence on club psyche

Chimptastic

Tiger Superstar
Aug 22, 2014
The media narrative of our club's success this season can be summed up in 3 words. Winning a final.

In an ideal, equal environment, there is no additional pressure placed on our own players compared to those of a Hawthorn or a Collingwood. In the real world, the media manipulate rising and falling expectations to make money, and the RFC generates a lot of attention. So we need to be smart about how we shape our environment. We need to be smart to achieve our one true goal - to win a premiership either this year, or next year, or the year after.

Theoretically, we could miss the finals in 2015 and win a flag in 2016. In hindsight, it wouldn't matter whether we 'won a final' the year before. Just as it wouldn't matter if we lost a prelim, like North/Port last year (where are they now?). Wins in previous years are nothing more than suggestions for future performances, future performances that can be measured as a success by the one and only measure that actually matters - a premiership. Allowing the media's storyline to infect our club's psyche would be to our own detriment for two reasons: 1. We get sucked into viewing each season in isolation, compared to putting it into the perspective of a premiership-winning journey over several years, and 2. It undermines our potential to go further this year.

Yes, winning a final is a good sign. But it's like a club aiming to be "in front at half time" so their focus shifts to being in front at half time, because it is a good sign you'll win the match. However, if uncontrolled, too many people lose sight of the final siren.

Moreover, it implies that winning "a" final is our ceiling. If we do win a final, that's it - we've had a successful season! Congrats Tigers! We proved our critics wrong. Our opponents in week 2 or 3 would therefore have a subtle yet potentially powerful psychological advantage. This could negatively affect our finals campaign this year. So knock it on the head Tigers. We should actively prepare/ensure that we don't fall into the trap of viewing 'winning a final' as a measure of success for our 2015 season. The coaches and players will be dreaming big regardless, so this is more a question aimed at helping them perform at their best by managing the external pressures of a club that so often attracts widespread attention, and accompanying external pressure, that left unchecked can be a potent anxiogenic.

Thoughts?

I think winning a final is setting a low bar. I don't care what the media think, I'd like us to aim higher. We haven't had a good win in a final since Noah floated the Ark. Shoot for the stars and readjust if you only get to the moon.

Last good win we had in a final was the '95 semi against Essendon. We did beat Carlton in the 2001 semi, but that was a pretty scrappy affair. I do agree with rosy that just winning a final is setting the bar low. However you have to start somewhere, we've gone from ground zero to being competitive to making the finals, to now making an impact in them. The ultimate goal is a Premiership. We win one of those we can tell everyone else to go jump and who cares what they think?

I'd like to see the reaction if we finished top four and went out in straight sets.
Chicken poo salesmen would be rubbing their hands, but the reality is it would mean a 5th/6th finish and a definite improvement on the last two years.

Having said that, we are 6-5 and in eighth spot. Be happy to get there at all right now.

Poppycock. The media don't take the field. I think some performances this year are indicative of improvement but if we cannot get to the finals let alone win one if be extremely disappointed.

i agree with rosy I'd like to think we are aiming high internally.

The media want their mid-season headline: "Tigers say the season is a failure unless they win a final." Well, of course it is, every season is a failure unless you win the Grand Final. By definition, seventeen teams will fail this year. Chasing this headline is both inane and more than a little bit disingenuous.

After round 1 and an unconvincing win against Carlton, a Richmond fan rang SEN to protest at the lack of respect they were showing towards the Tigers after their win. Andy Maher was sooky-la-la because Carlton lost so Timmy Watson fielded the question with a response along the lines that: "We can't show them any respect until they win a final."

That is all well and good but please tell me, how many finals have there been that Richmond could win since they lost to Port Adelaide? Having lost an Elimination Final, the rules of the competition did not allow them to just rock up the the Grand Final and try to win that one, just so they could give instant gratification to their critics. Last time I looked, there were no finals played in November, on Christmas Day, in February, March, May or June. Nor will there be any played in July or August. How exactly are they supposed to win a final during this period?

On Sunday, Matthew Lloyd and Hutchinson, those two MENSA candidates in waiting, tried to trap Deledio into making a stupid statement along these lines. What was the point?

It is one thing to say that they need to win a final. I agree and I am sure most Richmond fans, officials, players, coaches and Presidents also agree. The problem is that there won't BE any finals to win until September so what is the point of carrying on about it until then?

Just another example of lazy journalism. We should dismiss the notion as the lazy rantings of over-paid media personalities who can't be bothered doing some homework on a real story.

Hasn't Peggy said the season won't be considered a success unless we win a final? Or words to that effect?

"Every season is a failure unless you win the Grand Final".

I believe every season within a cluster of seasons that culminates in a premiership should be considered a successful part of the journey. Premierships are not the result of 1 season's effort, they are the accumulation of knowledge, belief, and attitudes over a period of time. 9-game winning streaks and consistently beating the Grand Finalists could contribute to the mindset that delivers our next premiership. Hence, pass/fail judgments on the basis of arbitrary measures such as "winning a final" are meaningless.

This thread is more related to what can be done about the media turning up the pressure on our club to "win a final". This will consume the footy public's imagination before our next final whether we address it or ignore it. Then if we overcome the additional pressure and win our next final, it undermines our ability to go all the way.

I'd like to see them emphasise that the only measure of success is a premiership and this current group is hellbent on achieving real success with the current core playing group, and therefore producing a 1-final win season is not a meaningful goal for this footy club.

Chimptastic said:
This thread is more related to what can be done about the media turning up the pressure on our club to "win a final". This will consume the footy public's imagination before our next final whether we address it or ignore it. Then if we overcome the additional pressure and win our next final, it undermines our ability to go all the way.

I don't understand the undermine part sorry. Can you elaborate please. I'd like to think we were mentally strong enough as a group to prevent media and public opinion affect us in any negative way.

Great thoughts OP.
Media want us to have low expectations.

The club are smarter than that.

They wouldn't care much what the media writes or says.

I get a big agro lol but the club is strong.

rosy23 said:
I don't understand the undermine part sorry. Can you elaborate please. I'd like to think we were mentally strong enough as a group to prevent media and public opinion affect us in any negative way.

A few years ago, the club sounded very focused about communicating their desire to stick to a long term process with one goal at the end; our 11th premiership. I think in the last two years, we've started letting 'making finals' and 'winning a final' enter our vocabulary. This was never part of the original attitude exhibited by Benny Gale back in 2010/11/12. He was bold, daring, and unapologetically optimistic.

There's no doubt the current group has developed a thick skin. By 'undermining us' I mean in the sense that if we secure a finals win, the vibe becomes 'mission accomplished' externally, implying that's the best we should hope to achieve. Obviously internally we'll be aiming higher, but it's an additional challenge to overcome.

To some extent this is a natural transition for Richmond as we shatter old stereotypes created over the past 30 years. I think Richmond is a club that attracts a lot of fake over-the-top optimism from the media to setup huge attention for the inevitable fall after a couple of losses. The best way to completely change the way the media attempts to setup the club for stories of 'they always find a way to let you down' is by winning consistently.

After the hyped Carlton final, a 'successful season' would be to back it up and make consecutive finals (as if that is an accomplishment...). We did that. Now the smallest possible improvement on that is to win a final. So the bare minimum is considered a successful season, undermining our potential. Maybe that was realistic, but I think it's laced with an expectation that Richmond will never achieve anything of substance with the current group. Does that affect the players? I don't know. But it must be frustrating to constantly answer questions from a media that seems to expect us to eventually let everyone down. Once we're winning consistently, that vibe will change completely and I think a few mental challenges we currently face could disappear. Will this make life easier for the players? I don't know, but it seems like an easier environment to be at your best. Can we guide the media and hasten this process? I think it's possible, but it carries the risk of a bigger crash if we fall down later this year or early next year.

To me, it seems the idea that we could actually be developing a very good team is absurd to several members of the media. In 2010, Benny told the world we were aiming for 75k members. That was bold. We used to tell the media what we are building, now externally we let them tell us what would be a success and we don't challenge it, we play it safe, and we don't say anything that could cause a headline.

Be bold Tigers, it's time to ramp up belief. We're stable enough to handle the expectation. Let's get to the stage where nobody bats an eyelid when our president says 'we're always a contender' like Collingwood can say. We've served our 3 years of sniffing around finals, now it's time for our public attitude to change and not be so afraid of the media saying we're getting ahead of ourselves. We do that by clearly defining our measure of success to span 2015/2016/2017 before reassessing our situation. It's time to raise expectations of a flag by 2017, by talking Strong & Bold.

Chimptastic said:
A few years ago, the club sounded very focused about communicating their desire to stick to a long term process with one goal at the end; our 11th premiership. I think in the last two years, we've started letting 'making finals' and 'winning a final' enter our vocabulary. This was never part of the original attitude exhibited by Benny Gale back in 2010/11/12. He was bold, daring, and unapologetically optimistic.

I don't see how 'making finals' and 'winning a final' is that much different to the 3-0-75 vision where the 3 included a top 4 finish.

As for the media we all have different perceptions. I don't understand the persecution complex many seem to have about them. I hope the club, and all involved, focus on our own objectives rather than what the media think. I don't think they need to challenge what is written in tomorrow's fish and chip wrapping. Firstly it's only opinion, and they're entitled to that, and secondly we sell papers. I don't think they are as anti Richmond as some like to believe. An example of this is Caro. Blasted endlessly if she says anything negative about us but praised endlessly when she puts under scrutiny.

The media are the last thing I'd credit/blame for our success or lack thereof.