Why do they do it?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why do they do it??

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Why oh why do players from all clubs kick across the front of goal.

Last night was yet another classic example of stupidity. A Swans player had a mark in the back pocket, seconds left on the clock, kicked across goal and Thomas coolly swooped in and casually kicked a goal. Thought Longmire was going to have a heart attack.

This is a constant fault IMHO. It happens so often and more importantly has dire consequences with so often a score against. Just as bad a short kicks out of defence. Remember last week in our game. Freo, short kick from the back line, Lennon jumps in front of the Freo player, marks and kicks a goal.

Overall, I wonder what possesses players minds to kick across the goals, kick short coming out of defence, which is a very risky ploy, with the results often seen to be believed. Happens so often. Please explain as Pauline once said!!

Please Tigers, don't do this.

I think it's because switching play can be such a powerful tactic.

But you have to be quick and precise.

If you telegraph the pass even for a second - you're gone.

thejinx said:
I think it's because switching play can be such a powerful tactic.

But you have to be quick and precise.

If you telegraph the pass even for a second - you're gone.

Right on. If the switch is on it can be gold. Miss the target and watch the gold disintegrate into dust.

Rambo Rabbit said:
It was Corey Ellis, not Lennon, who tools that mark and goal.

You are right Rambo. It was Corey. Good effort that and deserved all the hugs and "kisses" he got from team mates.

Lennon will also do that soon enough.

But it's true about kicking out of defence.
We use to concede a cricket score to the opposition through turnovers.
In fact we did it at Blundstone arena recently.

Dimma and the other coaches and recruiters have been chasing good kickers.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Lennon will also do that soon enough.

But it's true about kicking out of defence.
We use to concede a cricket score to the opposition through turnovers.
In fact we did it at Blundstone arena recently.

Dimma and the other coaches and recruiters have been chasing good kickers.

It has taken a long time for Dimma to value the good kickers, playing poor disposers like Pettard and Thomas instead. It is only the injuries to these players this year that have given these younger players the opportunity.

I hope that Dimma has realised this error and is not tempted to play the older players with limited kicking skills when they return from injury.

Happened again last night. Crow kicked across goals. Hawk pounced, marked and kicked a goal. Why oh why do they do it???