What will this win mean? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What will this win mean?

glorydaysareback

Nice to have our glory days back at the Tigers!
Apr 18, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria
I thought I would start this topic, so we could put an opinion and look back at the end of the season to compare notes.

With such a young and inexpereinced squad both players and coaches, all who have probably been doubting themselves an their ability to win, I couldn't get out of my head after watching them sing the song, what this win will now do for the team, the coaches and the club.

While I realise we are still 1-9 and we certainly need to be keeping a lid on things, there is also no doubt that getting the Monkey off the back and registering our first win will make the players all the more confident about everything they do. Not just the players but the coaching staff as well. With such a tough start to a season there would have to be doubts about whether what you are doing will work and whether the direction, strategy and your selection decisions are correct.

They all now know that their best IS GOOD ENOUGH to win at this level and I am not talking about just today’s win. They showed it against Adelaide, Hawthorn and Essendon. When a group of young men start to believe they can win I believe you take an enormous step towards credibility and self belief.

One of the most pleasing things in our last month has been the leadership and form of some of our young cubs in Deludio, Cothcin and Reiwoldt. In my view those three have been consistently good for the past four weeks. Delidiou, I believe, has gone to another level.

Combine that with the youth we have and I bleive we may be seeing the start of some very good times at Punt Road once more..

In my opinion we will probably have a letdown either next week or fortnight (hope I am wrong there) but after that I think we can finish the season with a wet said and cause some significant upsets. I think we will win 5 to 6 games with one of them being a big scalp. Barring Injury of course, which we have been very fortunate with.

A tad optimistic I admit but I am loving some of the signs in our squad and I love the way the coaching staff and playing group are staying the course and believing in their structures and goals. The Chris Newman interview in the Hun was terrific. For club who only has just registered their first win, the morale within the group is top class from what I can see.

To me that’s indicative of a young club on the rise.

Would love to hear what others have to say about where this win may take us.

PS: talk of tanking to get draft picks can be banned on this thread. Do it somewhere else please. I want to see as many RFC wins as possible towards the end of this season.

i hope the taste of ports blood remains on their teeth and gives the lads the desire to replace it with st kildas, collingwoods and carltons guts

What will this win mean? It means I smile for a week and hang it unmercifully on Collingwood supporters!

It means we get to walk around for a week with smiles on our faces and with the knowledge that small steps are being made in the right direction.

Where 4 games out of the 8!
Where 3 games away from losing our priority pick
Where got 1 win!
Where moving to football park!

It was a real team win, everyone put in, and they worked for each other. I think this win will help to make the players see that if they play as a team and do the hard things for each other that the reward will come. It will serve to bond them better as a team, it may not make a hug amount of difference short term, but it will pay off in the future. It will also serve to help keep players the likes of Martin and Riewoldt with Richmond for their team mates and the belief that the club is going somewhere rather than taking the money on offer from the AFL's 2 demon children.

This was important for our young players. Losing week in week out can form bad habits.

Next week is another learning step for them. Recovering from an energy sapping effort against a very good team on a dry deck.

Whether they win or lose is immaterial now, they have that monkey off their backs. It is how they back-up from here that will really count.

And I for one am damn glad that Cousins is around to guide them through this process.

It means hope for us and not being taken for granted as an 'easy win' by other teams and knowing that there is talent in the team with heaps of development and improvement ahead. Our recruiting isn't total garbage and we need to be patient as this group grows up together.

In the post-match radio interview, the ABC guys said our list was not as talented as Port's list and that we would come back down to earth next week against the Saints. Lids shot right back at the guys, totally disagreeing about our list, it's just that ours is still young and on the way and was a bit ticked off that they didn't give us a hope against St. Kilda. The ABC guys loved his pride in his team mates and belief in his team - really good stuff.

This win will mean an enhanced level of confidence in our players especially our young'uns.

getbacktoglorydays said:
PS: talk of tanking to get draft picks can be banned on this thread. Do it somewhere else please. I want to see as many RFC wins as possible towards the end of this season.

choo choo

for the club, I hope it means a bit of pressure off the football department, for the players some self belief. As a supporter I feel a kind of weight has lifted. Anyway, my next wish list item is to be present at a win and get a chance at singing that song myself.

A further positive is Post and Browne were in the best players for Coburg. Both must be in the firsts soon. Give some size to a structure which is still too small.