What changes would you like to see? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What changes would you like to see?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm getting a bit worn down by all the negativity. As far as I'm concerned there's no use focusing on what will go wrong and failures and sackings. Everyone has a clean slate in my mind.

We weren't so far away last year. We can beat any team on our day. How do we take the next step to improve rather than tread water.

Some I can think of......

I'd like to see us try to outscore teams by kicking high scores ourselves rather than trying to restrict them to lower scores.

Let players use their flair and natural instinct and back them in even if there are a few stuff ups on the way.

Treat Rd 1 the same as we would (hopefully) a grand final. Show we want to be out there and every player give their all. 4 points are worth 4 points whether at the start or the end of the season.

Get some real self belief into the team. No dwelling on supposed hoodoo teams or bunny teams. Just an ingrained belief was can beat any and every team.

Pray for favourable treatment from the injury gods. Can't afford to lose key players.

Others?

Move the ball quickly as much as possible and not kick to standing targets unless they are well clear.

Yep, would love to see an Exciting high scoring free flowing game plan but I don't think the footy circle has turned yet from the defensive game plans of today.

More swingmen. All over the park.

We seem to have developed this idea reasonably well up forward, with a number of mids, rucks and even Chappy spending time up there. But we need to extend this to all parts of the ground, with defensive flexibility our most glaring need. Waite chopped us up in the EF and it's easy to say we should have done something, but who could have gone to him? For arguments sake let's say we switch Rance on to him. Our best defender goes to the guy who's running hot. Good. But who goes to Petrie? Not Chaplin, not Grimes. To me, Griffiths is his best match up size and mobility-wise but he hasn't stood an opponent down back since KB was playing kick-to-kick with Tommy Wills. So we were left with zero options IMO. We had a very solid defence for the most of last year, but most of the time it was the same players in the same spots.

We need to keep blokes up to speed in different parts of the ground so we've got options. Stick them in with that group occasionally in pre-season or give them a sneaky run in an intra club game. I like Carts' idea about Jack attending stoppages, and I'd extend it even further. Can jack stand CHB? Just for 15 minutes, as a momentum changer if we find ourselves 5 goals down with the time getting a bit skinny in an important game? Yes, it's a drastic move, but if he's thrown there in desperation with zero prep then the coach is just swinging with his eyes closed. It's not just Jack of course - he's the easy one to throw up because his skills probably translate anywhere - it's anyone and everyone.

How are all these new exciting game plans going to eventuate with Mr No Change No Frills No Risk Hardwick as coach?

tigertim said:
Well arent you lucky, you get your wish granted!

I wouldn't complain if Chappy was in the forward line kicking goals. Couldn't care less who kicks them.

WOW it only took 4 posts for the obligatory the coach is a dud post.

You know what i'd like to see Rosie.... I'd like to see the senior players stand up in a final.
- I'd like to see Cotchin work so hard that his tagger can't go with him. Not to give up but to thrive on the contest.
- I'd like to see the likes of B. Ellis, Houli and Edwards put their head down and attack the footy hard
- I'd like to see Ty and Griff extract a didget and fly for the footy like they mean it. Like they might actually take a grab.
- I'd like to see Chaplin to show some composure and actually play somewhere near the level he was recruited and is being paid to do.
- I'd like to see the senior players show some initiative. To DO SOMETHING if we are getting smashed out of the middle (go shoulder to shoulder with your opponent...anything to stop the run)
- I'd like to see the senior players show some pride in the jumper, the club, and themselves. To play like it means something. To set an on field example for others to follow. Not provide sound bites after the game.

I'd like to see all that. You know what....I bet Dimma would like to see it too.

Broders said:

14717859.gif

Broders said:

You know what i'd like to see Rosie.... I'd like to see the senior players stand up in a final.
- I'd like to see Cotchin work so hard that his tagger can't go with him. Not to give up but to thrive on the contest.
- I'd like to see the likes of B. Ellis, Houli and Edwards put their head down and attack the footy hard
- I'd like to see Ty and Griff extract a didget and fly for the footy like they mean it. Like they might actually take a grab.
- I'd like to see Chaplin to show some composure and actually play somewhere near the level he was recruited and is being paid to do.
- I'd like to see the senior players show some initiative. To DO SOMETHING if we are getting smashed out of the middle (go shoulder to shoulder with your opponent...anything to stop the run)
- I'd like to see the senior players show some pride in the jumper, the club, and themselves. To play like it means something. To set an on field example for others to follow. Not provide sound bites after the game.

I'd like to see all that. You know what....I bet Dimma would like to see it too.

As long as it is within the process..............................

There have been some games in the last season or two where, listening to the expert commentary, someone has actually predicted exactly what the opposition is going to do .....and they have gone and done it as if it was scripted. If it's that obvious to the commentary team, it should also be possible for our senior leaders to be aware of these things. Sometimes it's happened in crunch times, late in close games.....Maybe it's expecting too much from players at ground level, but I'd like to see an improvement in our on field leadership at those crunch times. I think it has improved, but needs to get better still.

I was hoping :nail biting

Ty and Dusty who had good seasons last year still had more upside.

That Yaz, lennon, Cellis and conca become best 22 and squeeze out some of the bottom 6.

Townsend, Kmac or Moore become the big bodied midfielder we need.

The berry or Elton leave Chaplin in the magoo's.

rosy23 said:
I'm getting a bit worn down by all the negativity. As far as I'm concerned there's no use focusing on what will go wrong and failures and sackings. Everyone has a clean slate in my mind.

We weren't so far away last year. We can beat any team on our day. How do we take the next step to improve rather than tread water.

Some I can think of......

I'd like to see us try to outscore teams by kicking high scores ourselves rather than trying to restrict them to lower scores.

Let players use their flair and natural instinct and back them in even if there are a few stuff ups on the way.

Treat Rd 1 the same as we would (hopefully) a grand final. Show we want to be out there and every player give their all. 4 points are worth 4 points whether at the start or the end of the season.

Get some real self belief into the team. No dwelling on supposed hoodoo teams or bunny teams. Just an ingrained belief was can beat any and every team.

Pray for favourable treatment from the injury gods. Can't afford to lose key players.

Others?

Move the ball quickly as much as possible and not kick to standing targets unless they are well clear.

Love it Rosalita. Excellent summary of needs and wants.

Tigers of Old said:
Be nice to beat Melbourne.
Be even nicer to obliterate them, just because it feels good.
Can understand that there's times when it's a quality team or one that matches up really well n they get a period of dominance.
But when a team like Smelbourne over the last few years constantly gives you the rough end of the pineapple.............................. AAARRRGGGHHH!
Just need to nuke this mob.

To see one of our Rookies or a 1st / 2nd year draftee have a belter year and play 20+ solid games. Preferably Monica Cellis.

You know what I'd like to see? "Sought after recruits" choosing the Tigers over Collingwood or Carlton or Essendon. It's one of those intangibles that you can't pin down, but in the last few years when blokes have had their pick we've been at the bottom of the list. Same with coaches actually. Now like many I'm pretty circumspect about it, but it grates on me. I have a good laugh at blokes who go to Collingwood and say dumb *smile* like "I really want to play in premierships" ;D But by the same time what are we lacking that makes this an easy decision?