unsolicited phone calls | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

unsolicited phone calls

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
i received an unsolicited automate phone call last night at around 8.30 pm. I only heard the first part saying this is about your liberal candidate before i hung up. i rang the number back this morning thinking it must have been a liberal party initiative. turns out it was from the nsw branch of the labor party obviously rubbishing the lib candidate. i registered a complaint about the call and advised i wouldn't even consider voting labor because of it. i was told there had been a flood of similar complaints and comments this morning. i dislike the liberal candidate immensely but this is rude, inconsiderate and dirty politics. interested to know if others have received similar calls.

i don't answer the home phone .. its always cold calls. But the guy in Britain charging cold callers is brilliant.

rosy23 said:
i received an unsolicited automate phone call last night at around 8.30 pm. I only heard the first part saying this is about your liberal candidate before i hung up. i rang the number back this morning thinking it must have been a liberal party initiative. turns out it was from the nsw branch of the labor party obviously rubbishing the lib candidate. i registered a complaint about the call and advised i wouldn't even consider voting labor because of it. i was told there had been a flood of similar complaints and comments this morning. i dislike the liberal candidate immensely but this is rude, inconsiderate and dirty politics. interested to know if others have received similar calls.

It was probably a Greens candidate impersonating a Labor candidate Rosy and trying to save the environment by ringing you direct instead of sending you a printed brochure from a dead tree, while overlooking the brown coal needed for the phone call.

Honestly, what's the world coming to when you can't trust politicians?

For the first time in 47 years I'll be voting informal.
Why?
Because IMO Australia's biggest problem is the deficit and the debt we are leaving for our children and their children to pay.
But the campaign from all sides has been about personalities and spending even more money.
Why doesn't one of them have the guts to say - "we either cut spending or raise taxes (or both) because ladies and gentlemen we have a big problem".
I reckon whoever made that announcement would win in a landslide.

Speaking of such phone calls, if anyone ever gets a call from "Microsoft" regarding viruses/Trojans infecting your computer then simply hang up. These clowns will try to talk you into giving them remote access to your PC, they then proceed to insert all sorts of nasties into your PC to justify why you should purchase their products (with credit card) in order to remove the "infection". Microsoft do not call people for such issues but instead will usually contact you via your ISP if there is an issue such as copyright infringements etc.

RfC77 said:
Speaking of such phone calls, if anyone ever gets a call from "Microsoft" regarding viruses/Trojans infecting your computer then simply hang up. These clowns will try to talk you into giving them remote access to your PC, they then proceed to insert all sorts of nasties into your PC to justify why you should purchase their products (with credit card) in order to remove the "infection". Microsoft do not call people for such issues but instead will usually contact you via your ISP if there is an issue such as copyright infringements etc.

I was house sitting for a couple in rural County Galway in the west of Ireland recently and they warned me about the calls they get from these guys who claim they have been alerted to virus on your home computer. It seems they got sucked in a while back and lost a couple of hundred Euro before they discovered the fraud. Apparently the calls are from Australia though the accent was unmistakeably from the sub continent. So it seems they figure persistence is key and now they call every day at the same time. Surely no one falls for this more than once?! I did answer a few times, just to see, using various nom's de plume incuding once announcing myself as Sergeant Peterson of the Dandenong Fraud Squad but my monotonatic friend just kept on until I gave up and hung up. I've heard it is good to keep a whistle by the phone and give them a right royal earful! (though imagine filters probably clip it off - boo!)

i get those regularly. they say they are ringing about my computer, i ask which computer and the say my windows computer. i tell them they should be ashamed of themselves trying to scam innocent people and they hang up. on other occasions when they ask how i am i ask how they are, and how is the weather and how is their family...they just hang up. have thought about the whistle but that belongs to the masterminds rather than some poor person stooping that low to earn money in a call centre.

there is a more recent one.. I am from Telstra, your Internet will be cut off the the next 24 hours unless......Same scam, different name.

our calls always show up as from overseas and are around 6-8pm.

sadly some people do give these lowlifes remote access to their computers.

A mate of mine has a good policy for dealing with these type of clowns.
He says he's a professional consultant and he charges by the hour and he's sure they understand time is money.
He's says he's more than happy to talk to them but first he has a minimum fee of $200 so if they'd kindly give him their credit card details he'll process their payment on the spot though his Internet Banking, then discuss whatever they want to talk about.
Click - as they hang up.
Works every time.

I ask to wait a moment while I go and grab the credit card.

Then leave the phone there with the waiting as I go back to doing what I was doing.

It happened to my 85 year old barely computer literate and very hard of hearing mother once. She fell for it to some extent, but being so hard of hearing, the foreign accent of the caller, not understanding the computer terminology, and being very finickety about details, she had them struggling to talk her into it for an hour or so before they gave up. :hihi

Azza said:
It happened to my 85 year old barely computer literate and very hard of hearing mother once. She fell for it to some extent, but being so hard of hearing, the foreign accent of the caller, not understanding the computer terminology, and being very finickety about details, she had them struggling to talk her into it for an hour or so before they gave up. :hihi

:hihi

RfC77 said:
I've had this ne. I said "I don't have a computer" and e says "we know you have a computer" and we did that dance for a while. He then said "why aren't you taking this seriously?" before I gave up and hung up. But they are obviously trained in what to say to our tactics.

I have always wanted to do this!

[youtube=560,315]N3aCL8PIOuM[/youtube]

RfC77 said:
a friend nearly fell for this when they wanted the credit card she hung up and turned computer off not sure if they did any damage she was too scared to turn it back on after it , not sure if she has yet since
did got a poll type one sounded like it was a computer one where you press the buttons on the phone to answer the questions , haven't encountered what Rosy copped and regardless of who i usually vote for if it was my party or the other i would complain about that too tell us the polices stop the kids act of bagging each other and i will be happy

poppa x said:
A mate of mine has a good policy for dealing with these type of clowns.
He says he's a professional consultant and he charges by the hour and he's sure they understand time is money.
He's says he's more than happy to talk to them but first he has a minimum fee of $200 so if they'd kindly give him their credit card details he'll process their payment on the spot though his Internet Banking, then discuss whatever they want to talk about.
Click - as they hang up.
Works every time.
heard someone else say they did that once love that idea lol :clap

The old ' Something is wrong with your computer ' phone call, I haven't had one of these for a long time after I had some fun and games with them.

They ring up and say " Our system is showing there is a problem with your computer "

Me: Oh is that right, what is wrong with it.

Them: It's a virus in your computer.

Me: So you are able to see I have a problem and know what I am using and what websites I use.

Them: Yes that is right sir.

Me: So what website do I have open right now then and since you have such intimate knowledge of my computer, what is my homepage and who is my provider.

Them: Um um um

Me: I know this is a scam so don't ever call me again along with a few choice words as well.

It went on a bit longer than this but I have never been bothered again.