Tigers Should Start Talks With GC Youngsters | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers Should Start Talks With GC Youngsters

tommystigers

Demetriou, McLachlan, Dillon. Just why?
Oct 6, 2004
Richmond should start behind the scenes talks with GC youngsters. Given that money is being thrown around by GWS and GC clubs in an effort to "lure" players from their clubs, the tables should be turned and Cameron should begin targetting some of the GC young guns with offers before their contracts expire. Who cares if the rules forbid it. Just do it.

tommystigers said:
Richmond should start behind the scenes talks with GC youngsters. Given that money is being thrown around by GWS and GC clubs in an effort to "lure" players from their clubs, the tables should be turned and Cameron should begin targetting some of the GC young guns with offers before their contracts expire. Who cares if the rules forbid it. Just do it.

Good call.

GC and GWS can rape and pillage.

Why can't we back at these 2 cheating clubs whose success will be funded by AFL money?

smasha said:
Good call.

GC and GWS can rape and pillage.

Why can't we back at these 2 cheating clubs whose success will be funded by AFL money?
How are they cheating?

We tried that 25 years ago in a campaign against the Skunks that sent us to the poor house and I don't remember getting anyone half decent - well maybe John Annear ......

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history" - Frederich Hegel

Good call and I have been suggesting this for a while. GC in particular have had U18s being trained under AFL conditions for 2 years. They have come along way from when I saw GC17 debut in the TAC cup last year. They are bigger, fitter, stronger and more skilled and still young. Some of them won't get a gig when the uncontracted AFL players arrive. We should therefore be targeting these guys whil GC go for their quick fix solutions.

BrisTiger24 said:
Good call and I have been suggesting this for a while. GC in particular have had U18s being trained under AFL conditions for 2 years. They have come along way from when I saw GC17 debut in the TAC cup last year. They are bigger, fitter, stronger and more skilled and still young. Some of them won't get a gig when the uncontracted AFL players arrive. We should therefore be targeting these guys whil GC go for their quick fix solutions.

But that's half the problem of trying to lure them away. The time they've spent together will have bonded them a fair bit. They will want to play with their mates and the knowledge that they are in a team that the AFL are hellbent on ensuring they are successful as soon as possible.

Targeting those that wont get a gig is targeting the wrong players. Enough of trading for rejects. We want to drag in players from other clubs that will make their supporters filthy with us.

One interesting aspect of the initial conditions for the two new clubs is that they get to start in the competition with an extra 10 players and an extra $1m in their salary cap to pay for these extra players.

These two concessions are watered down each year for the first five years, forcing them to ditch two players and $200K from the cap each year.

Now, here’s where it gets interesting. To get their uncontracted players, they will need to throw both money and security at them, so we could expect 6-8 players will be on big money and have the security of 3or 4 year contracts. G Ablett might even need a five year contract to swing his deal. Why would they go to all this effort if the money wasn’t good or the contract was only for two years? It makes sense that anyone who goes will be looking to set themselves up for the rest of their career.

This would suggest to me that some of their kids will be lost to them over the first five years as the reducing list and salary caps combine with the inflexible contracts for their senior players and put pressure on their ability to retain youngsters who are not yet ready to play senior football.

The best thing for the rest of the competition would be if their uncontracted player raids are highly successful, especially with players from clubs other than your own. This would probably shake a couple of kids out of their respective trees each year for a few years.

Personally, I’m hoping that GC get Ablett and that GWS squeeze a similar player out of another club, say Cooney, Goddard or Ryder. The tighter the contracts for their senior players get, the easier it will be for someone else to squeeze out a decent 20-21 year old in a couple of years time.

You would also think that after 2 years all their top ten picks this year would be wanting a fair whack of their salary cap.

davidrodan said:
Was just thinking the other day, is there any way we can get Josh Toy
I think he's uncontracted at the end of the year. He still has the option of going into the draft, I believe. We could make him go to the PSD. ;)

Danog said:
I think he's uncontracted at the end of the year. He still has the option of going into the draft, I believe. We could make him go to the PSD. ;)

Part of me thinks he has to nominate for the national draft before he can for the pre-season draft, surely he would be picked up before he got to us in the PSD

TOT70 said:
One interesting aspect of the initial conditions for the two new clubs is that they get to start in the competition with an extra 10 players and an extra $1m in their salary cap to pay for these extra players.

These two concessions are watered down each year for the first five years, forcing them to ditch two players and $200K from the cap each year.

Now, here’s where it gets interesting. To get their uncontracted players, they will need to throw both money and security at them, so we could expect 6-8 players will be on big money and have the security of 3or 4 year contracts. G Ablett might even need a five year contract to swing his deal. Why would they go to all this effort if the money wasn’t good or the contract was only for two years? It makes sense that anyone who goes will be looking to set themselves up for the rest of their career.

This would suggest to me that some of their kids will be lost to them over the first five years as the reducing list and salary caps combine with the inflexible contracts for their senior players and put pressure on their ability to retain youngsters who are not yet ready to play senior football.

The best thing for the rest of the competition would be if their uncontracted player raids are highly successful, especially with players from clubs other than your own. This would probably shake a couple of kids out of their respective trees each year for a few years.

Personally, I’m hoping that GC get Ablett and that GWS squeeze a similar player out of another club, say Cooney, Goddard or Ryder. The tighter the contracts for their senior players get, the easier it will be for someone else to squeeze out a decent 20-21 year old in a couple of years time.

This is a great post I have thought the same thing. Also we should in the next three to four years be a very attractive club to go to as we move up the ladder.

BrisTiger24 said:
Some of them won't get a gig when the uncontracted AFL players arrive. We should therefore be targeting these guys whil GC go for their quick fix solutions.

I thought this stupid mentality was killed of a long time ago.....do we really need to attract more duds like King and Jordan to our club. If they simply arent good enough at another club why would we want them? Now if youw ere to target a Selwood (anyone of the them) you would be making sense ...but chasing trash will only bring trash results

tommystigers said:
You would also think that after 2 years all their top ten picks this year would be wanting a fair whack of their salary cap.

Especially when those top 10 picks start comparing themselves to Hunt and Folau respectively.