The state of footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The state of footy

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yuck.

I hate how coaches control every aspect of our game now.

Roles, structures, rotations, when to fart and when to clench.

Rodney Eade was in the coaches box on SEN and said that teams are actually trying to score more in 2015.

*smile*. It's defence first these days. Attack the skinny side. Press up and strangle. I lament seeing players with no one to kick to.

I dunno, I just think it is too easy to defend D50 for four quarters.

The problem? Players are so ridiculously fit. They can get back to defend in a flash.

The answer? Interchange caps.

Please AFL, do it in 2016. Pull the trigger. Open up the game. Spread players over three zones.

The bonus could be a vastly improved Richmond performance. We have a number of accurate long kicks that might benefit from more open play late in games.

Thoughts?

So what sort of scores were you expecting Carts?
There were six teams scored over a hundred points this weekend out of a six game split round, so it looks to me that teams know how to score when they want to or get an advantage.
Obviously when teams are evenly matched, coaches don't like to get opened up by errors or on the counter punch, but I would have thought that seeing how interested you are in all the tactics n structures of the game. You'd be overjoyed by a down n dirty tactical battle rather than a straight up shootout.

Nothing wrong with knowing when to clench n when to fart Carts,helps to avoid embarrassing accidents.

Agree that the fitness of players is the problem.
But I doubt caps will help - they will still be able to limit each player's game time to x % whatever that is.

I still think this all goes back to going from two reserves to four interchange.
I think 3 and 1 has helped. I'd like to see it go to 2 and 2.

If the coaches whinge about how this is too hard on the players, well, it's only gotten that way because of the interchange.
If they whinge about injuries, give them more reserves. I wouldn't even mind 2 and 4.

I'm finding our recent style of play quite boring - similar to the saints under ross. think dimma has gone too far with the strangle, skinny side, get it to the boundary etc style. he needs to balance it out with some run and flair corridor football.

TigerMasochist said:
So what sort of scores were you expecting Carts?
There were six teams scored over a hundred points this weekend out of a six game split round, so it looks to me that teams know how to score when they want to or get an advantage.
Obviously when teams are evenly matched, coaches don't like to get opened up by errors or on the counter punch, but I would have thought that seeing how interested you are in all the tactics n structures of the game. You'd be overjoyed by a down n dirty tactical battle rather than a straight up shootout.

Nothing wrong with knowing when to clench n when to fart Carts,helps to avoid embarrassing accidents.

A few games is your sample size?

You'd make an excellent scientist.

This season has been the most defensive for a while.

Fatigue will definitely open the game up. This needs to be the goal.
Having 36 players in the forward pocket makes the game unrecognisable from the sport it was designed as.

My suggestion:
2 IC/2 Reserves
Cap the IC at 20 per quarter.

Tigers of Old said:
Fatigue will definitely open the game up. This needs to be the goal.
Having 36 players in the forward pocket makes the game unrecognisable from the sport it was designed as.

My suggestion:
2 IC/2 Reserves
Cap the IC at 20 per quarter.

I'd go further. 4 interchange and once you are taken off in a quarter you can't come back on. That leaves 4 changes per quarter effectively.

jb03 said:
I'd go further. 4 interchange and once you are taken off in a quarter you can't come back on. That leaves 4 changes per quarter effectively.

Whilst quite severe, I like this.

I think coaches would not only be forced to setup differently as players tire, but conserve energy over four quarters.

Teams would maintain a three zone shape a lot more.

Imagine that - a return to the days of full forwards kicking double figures.

jb03 said:

I like this too. Too radical for the short term but a good thing to work towards. They need to keep chipping away at what they’ve started. I don’t know which particular way too go about it, I’m no expert. Something like 2 interchange, 2 subs, or get rid of the sub and have 3 interchange, and reduce the cap further to 80 or 100. Something like that. The coaches say they don’t like it, stuff ‘em. They’ll adapt soon enough.
Agree with what’s been said, super fitness has diminished the game as a spectacle. Another big factor is the dilution of the elite talent pool by GC and GWS, a 20% dilution basically.

I remember when it was unusuall to have all players in 1/2 the ground - there were times on Friday night when all the players were in 1/4 of the ground! Terrible to watch ball-up after ball-up - looks like a rugby scrum.

Hopefully it evolves back the other way or something will need to be done!

Agree with less interchanges (but get rid of the sub) or trial with 16 players preseason.

I wouldn't mind if they tried having 3 zones, 6 players (per side) per zone and no player allowed to cross into another zone except via the interchange. Bring back the one on one contests.

We need more frees and less stoppages - bring in my suggestion of last year - pay a free against the third person involved in a tackle.

jb03 said:

The only reason I'd like to see the interchange used is for minor injuries such as a head cut or corked thigh where it's not severe enough to take players out of the game entirely.

These players now are supreme professional athletes. No one can tell me they can't run out a game of football for 100 minutes.
They'll adapt by not moving around as much and the game will be better for it.

Tigers of Old said:
The only reason I'd like to see the interchange used is for minor injuries such as a head cut or corked thigh where it's not severe enough to take players out of the game entirely.

I agree hence the 4 per quarter. You can come back on at the start of the next break or as one of the 4 changes in the next quarter.

Blood rule changes wouldn't count.