The difference between a democracy and a constitutional republic | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The difference between a democracy and a constitutional republic

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
The difference between a democracy and a constitutional republic - easily explained
Thomas Sowell

Disregard the header in the clip. Just a bit of sensationalism, nothing of note at all

I watched the first 30 seconds, clearly no idea. How is a constitutional republic and a democracy mutually exclusive? It is a false dichotomy.

In any case, the real issue with the USA (which proclaims itself as a democracy and a constitutional republic) is that it is a union of states, not 1 country. This feeds into all sorts of things, like the power of the states and the electoral college. Not sure, but do the states draw the boundaries for the Federal Congress?

DS

Reactions: 1 users
I watched the first 30 seconds, clearly no idea. How is a constitutional republic and a democracy mutually exclusive? It is a false dichotomy.

In any case, the real issue with the USA (which proclaims itself as a democracy and a constitutional republic) is that it is a union of states, not 1 country. This feeds into all sorts of things, like the power of the states and the electoral college. Not sure, but do the states draw the boundaries for the Federal Congress?

DS
Of course the Commonwealth of Australia is also a federation of states. Whilst the problems created by that may not be as large as those in the US it does create problems and enormous cost for us as taxpayers.
There is also a very strong argument that our upper house is undemocratic in its representation because of states' rights.
What we do have of course is an independent electoral commission which the US could certainly do with.

Reactions: 2 users

DS
I’m not sure if you watched anymore than the first 30 seconds, but there was a bit more to be had.
I found it informative.

Of course the Commonwealth of Australia is also a federation of states. Whilst the problems created by that may not be as large as those in the US it does create problems and enormous cost for us as taxpayers.
There is also a very strong argument that our upper house is undemocratic in its representation because of states' rights.
What we do have of course is an independent electoral commission which the US could certainly do with.

You missed the language I used. We are a Federation of states, one country consisting of a number of states. The USA is a union of states, a number of states who optionally act as one country. It is a far looser arrangement than we have. States have far more power in the USA.

Both Senates are the same though, I suppose it is better than the House of Lords, at least both senates are elected.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
You missed the language I used. We are a Federation of states, one country consisting of a number of states. The USA is a union of states, a number of states who optionally act as one country. It is a far looser arrangement than we have. States have far more power in the USA.

Both Senates are the same though, I suppose it is better than the House of Lords, at least both senates are elected.

DS
I didn’t miss the language David, I know they aren’t exactly the same. I was just making the point that Australia also imo has problems created by the power of its states which includes an undemocratic upper house.
There are plenty of other examples of such arrangements, not all the same in structure.

I didn’t miss the language David, I know they aren’t exactly the same. I was just making the point that Australia also imo has problems created by the power of its states which includes an undemocratic upper house.
There are plenty of other examples of such arrangements, not all the same in structure.

I think the point is they are very dissimilar. The Al Gore election and the Florida count exposed that. Elections for all Federal positions in the USA are run by each state, separately, and they run them differently. If you run for President you have to try and get on the ballot separately in each state. In so many ways the USA is not one country.

The Senate is a product of both countries being created out of separate states. It is very problematic but can't see it changing any time soon. At least in Australia we don't have the winner takes all elections for Senate positions, proportional rep does help, but does also cause some other issues.

DS

I think the point is they are very dissimilar. The Al Gore election and the Florida count exposed that. Elections for all Federal positions in the USA are run by each state, separately, and they run them differently. If you run for President you have to try and get on the ballot separately in each state. In so many ways the USA is not one country.

The Senate is a product of both countries being created out of separate states. It is very problematic but can't see it changing any time soon. At least in Australia we don't have the winner takes all elections for Senate positions, proportional rep does help, but does also cause some other issues.

DS
As an aside, I find the Switzerland example (as I’ve used in other political threads) an interesting version of a Federation to compare and contrast to our Australian iteration.

As an aside, I find the Switzerland example (as I’ve used in other political threads) an interesting version of a Federation to compare and contrast to our Australian iteration.
Yes it is interesting , cantons levy company taxes as an example.

A long time ago I had a bit to do with international commodity trading which was done out of Zug, one of the cantons. It had a very low tax rate and attracted those sorts of activities.

10 Zugs would probably fit into greater Melbourne I reckon !

Reactions: 1 user