The 3rd quarter - Richmond's Bermuda Triangle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The 3rd quarter - Richmond's Bermuda Triangle

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Was made aware today of a very grim statistic. Richmond has lost every third quarter for an entire year.

Our most recent "win" in the third stanza came in last year's Round 10 game at Subiaco on May 30, when which we piled on eight straight goals against Fremantle to turn a 16-point half time deficit into a 15-point lead at the last break. Since then, the depressing scoreline is

Richmond 39.53.287
Opponents 104.96.720

As ordinary as our recent record reads, a scoreline of 0-22 at 28.5% is beyond the pale. While it's probably wise to draw a line between this year and last, the trend has continued unabated.

Why are we being caught off guard so badly after the long break? Attitude? Preparation? Coaching? Fitness?

I suspected this would be the case. One of the things I always look for in a game is who kicks the last goal of the first half and the first three goals after half-time. I have had a theory for years that if a team can score at least three of these goals they will win more often than not.

I am always conscious of this when we play and it as been ages since I can remember us even getting close to doing this in a game, last weekend notwithstanding.

That goal difference is staggering though. Thinking back, there have been a few beltings during the last 12 months and the third quarter is usually where the game kicks over into the unwinnable stage of a belting where the deficit reaches 40-50 points.

Its obviously time to introduce red cordial into the halt-time drinks.

Richmond has release a statement starting from round 12 it will play through the half time break to try to stop this damming statistic... :hihi