Sustainability of the AFL. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sustainability of the AFL.

Bones17

Tiger Rookie
Jul 11, 2010
The Pines
The AFL will have 19 teams with a population of approx 30 Million.
The NFL has had 32 Teams with a population of 337 Million.
I know the NFL has insane wages but the teams are privately owned.

Reactions: 3 users
On the face of it you'd think it's unsustainable.
Just too many Teams.

Yet the AFL boffins will find a way to keep their pockets lined.
They let Fitzroy die yet they pump gazillions into AFL wastelands like Broadbeach and West Sydney.
Just a matter of who they want to survive.
Corruption and Greed will lead the way.

But everything's going great, just ask the CEO.

Reactions: 2 users
The health of junior football is the big question going forward.
I do fear for the sustainability of junior clubs - which in turn feed the senior clubs - due to the socioeconomical shift we're seeing.

Take the eastern suburbs for example. Once a thriving corridor for junior football. But young families currently can't and won't be able afford to live there. Where will the players come from to feed these clubs? Scoresby is a prime example. Once a Premier Division senior club playing off in grand finals, they've been without a junior club for some years now.

Current league models of salary caps and player points systems at senior level dictate that building through your juniors is the way to go. But you can't build if the participation numbers dry up.

Wantirna South, Boronia, Bayswater, Knox, Mitcham, Blackburn, Vermont, etc. are all in that belt - and that's just a mere few to mention.

Prospective home owners and young couples are being forced to the outer south east - as in, Cranbourne, Pakenham, Clyde, Officer etc. So while that corridor may only get stronger and boom, a traditional heartland suffers and likely dies. Swings and roundabouts with the way things turn? Perhaps. But it'll be sad to see, nonetheless.

Reactions: 2 users
I do fear for the sustainability of junior clubs - which in turn feed the senior clubs - due to the socioeconomical shift we're seeing.

Take the eastern suburbs for example. Once a thriving corridor for junior football. But young families currently can't and won't be able afford to live there. Where will the players come from to feed these clubs? Scoresby is a prime example. Once a Premier Division senior club playing off in grand finals, they've been without a junior club for some years now.

Current league models of salary caps and player points systems at senior level dictate that building through your juniors is the way to go. But you can't build if the participation numbers dry up.

Wantirna South, Boronia, Bayswater, Knox, Mitcham, Blackburn, Vermont, etc. are all in that belt - and that's just a mere few to mention.

Prospective home owners and young couples are being forced to the outer south east - as in, Cranbourne, Pakenham, Clyde, Officer etc. So while that corridor may only get stronger and boom, another traditional heartland suffers and likely dies. Swings and roundabouts with the way things turn? Perhaps. But it'll be sad to see, nonetheless.
Spot on.