Statistical Facts about debuting 10 players in 6 years | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Statistical Facts about debuting 10 players in 6 years

tigerjoe

EAT 'EM ALIVE TIGERS!
Aug 24, 2003
Melbourne
This comes off the big footy website. Not all the stuff posted there is rubbish!

In a year where we are all looking forward to future years, maybe here are the black and white facts that give us even more to look forward to.

"Statistical Fact - Debuting 10 players = Finals Success in 6 years
Thanks to Dan26 on the main board for doing the hard work, but this is worth having here, as we have debuted 9 players and the Goo should be the 10th.

Fascinating statistics. Our 10 look to be of excelent quality, something that has eluded us for as far as i can remember. Going by the stats below, we could be well on track to achieve Bennys 3-0-75

"It's interesting to look at the number of players who debut for a club in a particular year. And the success of failure that comes 6 years later. There are some exceptions, as there always are. Melbourne were so up and down every year from 1997 to 2004 that you couldn't get a read on their "debuts" from 6 years earlier. St.Kilda had the most players debut in 1995 (11) and six years later they were rubbish, but that was more to do with mismanaging their list after making a Gran Final in 1997 with a very young side far sooner than expected, and making some bad decisions.

But for the most part, there is a strong correlation between the teams that debut lots of players having success six years later and the teams that debut the least having failure.

When lots of players debut
12 Sydney players debuted in 1990 (the most that year).... 6 years later they were minor premiers
10 Nth.Melb players debuted in 2001 (the most that year).... 6 years later they finished 4th
9 Essendon players debuted in 1994 (the most that year).... 6 years later they won the flag.
9 Adelaide players debuted in 1999 (the most that year).... 6 years later they were minor premiers
9 WCE players debuted in 2000 (the most that year ).... 6 years later, premiers
8 Collingwood players debuted in 2000 (2nd most that year).... 6 years later, they finished 5th
8 Hawthorn players debuted in 2002 (2nd most the year).... 6 years later they won the flag.
9 Geelong players debuted in 2002 (the most that year) .... 6 years later, they went 23-2
9 Sydney players debuted in 1999 (the most that year).... 6 years later, premiers

When few players debut
1 Essendon player debuted in 2000.... 6 years later they went 3-18-1
1 Brisbane player debuted in 1999.... 6 years later they finished 11th
1 Carlton player debuted in 1996 (the least that year)... 6 years later they finished last
2 Hawthorn players debuted in 2003 (the least that year).... 6 years later they went 9-13.
2 Bulldogs players debuted in 1998 (the least that year).... 6 years later they finished 5-17
2 Bulldogs players debuted in 1996 (2nd least that year).... 6 years later they were 11th
3 Melbourne players debuted in 2001 (2nd least that year)... 6 years later they went 5-17
3 Collingwood players debuted in 1993 (the least that year)... 6 years later, they came last
3 Richmond players debuted in 2001 (2nd least that year).... 6 years later they came last
3 Melbourne players debuted in 2002 (the 3rd least that year)... 6 years later they came last
3 WCE players debuted in 2003 (the 2nd least that year).... 6 years later they were 11th

Six years ago (in 2004) the club that had the most debuts was Collingwood with 10. And in 2010, they look like being a genuine flag contender.

Interesting that St.Kilda only debuted two players in 2004, Yet they still looking like being a good team in 2010. But the Saints also debuted only two in 2005 and two in 2006. I have a feeling that the Saints will hit the wall, probably not in 2010, but 2011 or 2012. You cant debut only 6 players over 3 years without it hitting you about 6 years later.

Having 2-2-2 players debut in 2004-2005-2006 is the lowest I can find for any club over a three year period. " "

If true, reckon there is a lot in that.

Turn them over and play the kids is the key point of the story.

Swooper debuted 11 kids in 1993, dunno if that set a record overall, but we know how the team performed a couple of years later.

Interesting stuff, tj. Let's roll those kids into the team - geez, but we don't have many more to debut surely!

Would be interesting to find out how many of the new players actually remained at the clubs for the period of 6 years too.

Some good points, but I think the more important point is how many players made their debut over a three or four year period. If a club had 12 debutants last year and none this year - they are no worse off than a club that had six in each of the two years...

Bring on the finals :hihi I'll make sure I buy my grand final guarantee in 6 years time, just in case.