Selection Table | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Selection Table

nifti

Tiger Rookie
Apr 20, 2004
This match against North was lost at the Selection Table Griffith & Coca well and truly underdone should have played Hammer & Lloyd or Lennon we got it wrong big time your thoughts. ?

It was a poor move but I don't think it was critical to the outcome.

We lost because basically our first midfield Lids, Shane, Cotch and Ellis had shockers. And Beavis allowed Hansen loose in defence and didnt put Grimes onto Waite.

Agree the game was lost in the middle, but I find it hard to swallow that we brought Griff back, thinking that we would 'get 2 1/2 quarters out of him'.

You can't go into a final playing a guy who cant get much further than half time. Madness.

If they were going to throw in a couple of changes out of left field would have been better to go for the likes of Matt Thomas or Steve Morris.

Would have given us a bit more hardness and fight.

griffiths was underdone and not match hardened.
his 3 weeks before injury were poor as well.
first 10 games of season were good

The controversial selections didn't help, but that wasn't where the game was lost. The players simply didn't rise to the level required (with a few notable exceptions), Damien is a scarred coach when it comes to finals and I think the playing group also bear those scars.

The dropping of two inform smaller fowards and bringing in the average blokes who have had no recent match form was a disaster of monsterous proportions ...the two to four goal assists and couple of goals they kick themselves was surely missed ....
Worst descision in living memory
Unfathomable

We are just to conservative to go hard
We could of gone for Higgins better Garlett last year ...woulda won yesterdayn

The Ferret said:
This match against North was lost at the Selection Table Griffith & Coca well and truly underdone should have played Hammer & Lloyd or Lennon we got it wrong big time your thoughts. ?

DH said we didn't bring any intensity to the game. The selections mightn't have helped but I think a bigger factor is the superstars of our team didn't fire when they needed to.

Realistically you need to kick 100 points to win finals, we've struggled all year to do it and i had a feeling it would haunt us come finals time. To then take out Lloyd and Lennon is possibly the the dumbest selection decision made since Hardwick has been at the club.

On form it cost us at least 2 goals which puts us back in the thick of things.

I really hope it doesnt have lasting ramifications and young Ben starts looking elsewhere for a go.

evo said:
It was a poor move but I don't think it was critical to the outcome.

We lost because basically our first midfield Lids, Shane, Cotch and Ellis had shockers. And Beavis allowed Hansen loose in defence and didnt put Grimes onto Waite.

This. Griff playing was a poor selection. But to turn up to an elimination final and lose the contested ball so heavily has nothing to do with Conca and Griff playing and everything to do with a team who crumbles under September heat.

miastar said:
If they were going to throw in a couple of changes out of left field would have been better to go for the likes of Matt Thomas or Steve Morris.

Would have given us a bit more hardness and fight.
Griff missed two easy goals early in the game when we were on top. He didn't have a good game, but those goals at that stage would have been handy

How people can believe that the selections were not the reason we lost is beyond me. If we had lost by over 6-8 goals then i might agree. When the game was as close as it was all game it is these little decisions which sway the balance. Lloyd could easily have bobbed up in that final quarter and made 2 goals out of nothing. Lennon has probably become one of the better marks at the club and having someone that can clunk the ball in a pressure game is critical.

The game was lost at the selection table because we were already worrying about the opposition rather than focusing on our own game/team. The smaller players in Lennon and Lloyd leading out of the 50 would have been a better plan rather than kicking it high to the lose North player every time.

If you do a full press against North you must have speed to break the other way - we got caught out breaking from the back half with no one to kick to forward of centre on numerous occasions. that cost us the match. Even though our midfield got smashed we still could have pinched this match with one or 2 fast breaks into the forward line.

We were effectevly 2 men down on rotations with conca and griff having no impact ..one of many reasons why we lost.