Round Table on Foxtel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round Table on Foxtel

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Did anyone else see Round Table tonight??

Hawthorn, West Coast, Richmond and Adelaide were all previewed.

Naturally, the Hawks were praised and West Coast had a few questions asked. Adelaide. The big talking point was the loss of Dangerfield to Geelong. Also their backline was criticised as being too easily scored against.

The Tigers, probably correctly, the consensus was that our list has not improved and only Rance and Jack got any kudos. Felt they were unsure of how the TIgers would perform this year.

All in all, the panel of Whatley, Dermy, Browny and King were pretty well constrained in their comments and were not very negative.

Well worth watching this show, as the panel are all past high achieving players, except Whatley of course.

I didn't see it but, if I was to guess, King would have been most bullish about the tiges. Dermie next. Brown and Whately would have said we were over achievers the last 3 years??

King had us top 4 , thinks our guns are great . Dermie had us just missing the 8 with roughly 50/50 win loss ration, Brown said we could finish anywhere from top 4 to missing out & he thinks we will miss top 8 & not sure what Gerard said

They pretty much Stated if the second tier players inc Brandon Ellis, Astbury, Griffits etc don't improve again we will see other teams pass us.

tha8ball said:
They pretty much Stated if the second tier players inc Brandon Ellis, Astbury, Griffits etc don't improve again we will see other teams pass us.

Sounds reasonable.

In the Herald Sun Footy Magazine from last week I think King was the only "expert" out of about 20 who had us top 4, whilst only around 4 had us missing the 8.

5-8 seems to be the general expectation.

French Tiger said:
King had us top 4 , thinks our guns are great . Dermie had us just missing the 8 with roughly 50/50 win loss ration, Brown said we could finish anywhere from top 4 to missing out & he thinks we will miss top 8 & not sure what Gerard said

Not exactly the comments to fill us with confidence. We are just supporters, they are past excellent players and know more than us I suppose.

Then again they are paid to express opinions which may not be their secret thoughts.

I did state somewhere else on here, a request for PREnders to tell me and others where are our goals going to come from this year.

Can't rely on Jack to do it all, and have reservations about Vickery and Griffiths to supply a heap of goals. Edwards, if fit can help, plus Deledio if not in the midfield or back, but otherwise we seem bereft of talent up forward. Goals win games.

If we expect our mids to do the job, then that also is pretty iffy.

The better teams have good slick movers on the flanks and forward pockets. We don't have the luxury of a McCras, Ballantyne, Breust and Gunston, and the like.

Dermie said our list hadn't improved, then went on to talk about what a damaging player Yarran is.

spook said:
Dermie said our list hadn't improved, then went on to talk about what a damaging player Yarran is.

yep. go Dermy...

Tigers of Old said:
I think many of us are unsure where the Tiges will finish. I sure have no idea.

ditto.

artball said:
yep. go Dermy...

ditto.

Clearly the losses of Newman and co are offset by the gaining of Yarran. Net improvement = 0.

graystar1 said:
Not exactly the comments to fill us with confidence. We are just supporters, they are past excellent players and know more than us I suppose.

Then again they are paid to express opinions which may not be their secret thoughts.

I did state somewhere else on here, a request for PREnders to tell me and others where are our goals going to come from this year.

Can't rely on Jack to do it all, and have reservations about Vickery and Griffiths to supply a heap of goals. Edwards, if fit can help, plus Deledio if not in the midfield or back, but otherwise we seem bereft of talent up forward. Goals win games.

If we expect our mids to do the job, then that also is pretty iffy.

The better teams have good slick movers on the flanks and forward pockets. We don't have the luxury of a McCras, Ballantyne, Breust and Gunston, and the like.

If you have a decent enough defence then you don't need as many goals to win games.

I think it was Healy who pointed out we don't have a lot in the 21-24 age bracket to help us take the next step. That's the drafts 2010-13:
Conca
Batch
Brando
Elton
Floss
KMac
Beanie
Lennon

plus Miles, Lambert (turns 25 in November), Townsend, Marcon, Soldo, Broad.

Other than Miles, no A-graders. Flossy probably the best chance to get there, unless Beanie suddenly finds himself in favour. But we do have 19-year-olds Cellis and Menadue, both of whom I will back to get to A-grade, and Rioli, who will be a star.

Of course, 24 is an arbitrary cut-off point. Astbury just turned 25 but because of the footy he's missed is a couple of years behind development-wise. Ditto Griff, who doesn't turn 25 until September. Moore, Martin and Grimes are 24 until mid-season.

These are the blokes who need to improve if we are. The good news is, they all can.

Father Dermott also said our 6 guns have to go to the next level as well.Basically putting some heat on Cotchin to step up.

Tigers of Old said:
I think many of us are unsure where the Tiges will finish. I sure have no idea.

After watching the NAB match against Hawthorn, I'm convinced we'll finish Top 2

Baloo said:
You can't be serious given all the quality Hawks players that were not playing. The general opinion was that we have done well to get to the finals the past 3 years but 2 areas need attention - our good players have to get better, to be consistently good and to stand up when it really counts in finals, and our second tier players also have to get better.
I would suggest that our bottom 6 also have to improve so have we left anyone out? They ALL have to improve for us to get to finals and to win finals bc so many other teams are also going to improve. Could finish anywhere from 4th to 9th depending on injuries to key players.

Baloo said:

Did you watch the games against Port? Almost convinced me we would be crap this year, but then I thought " it's ionlypre season games they don't mean a lot". But what I saw in the port game was disturbing. Skills very very rusty. Kicking - shocking, hand balling to players a metre away at their feet or lollypop in the air, goal kicking , no shepherding - again a huge concern, was there a game plan? The biggest concerns in all three games has been the fumbling, no clean ball,handling, no one-grab marks, it was painful to watch and lack of team work. Please dimma do some training sessions at night, just might help us in round one.

graystar1 said:

While that is 100 % correct , it is interesting that they dont on average do any better than the man on the street in footy tipping comps ,

Which is basically the same thing , predicting who will win and who will lose through the course of the season