RIP Allan Cooke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RIP Allan Cooke

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
Some sad news, respected Richmond footballer, and Chairman of Selectors Mr Allan Cooke, has passed away peacefully this week. He was 80 years.

Allan played with the RFC from 1949-1958, for 116 games and 54 goals. He was one of the last surviving members of the final game of 1949- Jack Dyer's last game of football.
After finishing his playing career, Allen began a very successful tenure as Chairman of Selectors, overseeing the premierships years of the Tigers in the 1970's and into the 1980's.
It was Allan, along with Alan Schwab, that orchestrated the Bill Barrott - Ian Stewart swap in 1970.
Allan oversaw the departure of Tom Hafey as Richmond coach in 1976, the appointment of Barry Richardson, then Tony Jewell, and Michael Patterson all as Richmond coach.

On a personal note, I had much pleasure in meeting Allan and his wife Betty on July 19th 2000, in preparation for the Richmond History book.
Allan took considerable time out of his day to reminisce about the glory days int he 1960's and 1970's as well us the not so happy days in the 1980's.

A true tiger.
Sadly Missed.

Thanks Rhett...that gives us a good heads up on 'black armbands' this week and the reason for it.