Rioli family | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rioli family

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Does anyone know the exact family relationships between Cyril and Maurice Rioli and Michael Long?
I have read only that Maurice and Long are both uncles of Cyril's. But I have also read that Maurice and Long are cousins.
Obviously Maurice is Cyril's father's brother.
Assuming that Long is the brother of Cyril's mother, would that not also mean that Cyril's mother and father are also cousins to each other?
Or is Long married to the sister of Cyril's mother? (in which case Long is not a blood relative of Cyril's)
Or is it more convoluted than that?

23.21.159 said:
Does anyone know the exact family relationships between Cyril and Maurice Rioli and Michael Long?
I have read only that Maurice and Long are both uncles of Cyril's. But I have also read that Maurice and Long are cousins.
Obviously Maurice is Cyril's father's brother.
Assuming that Long is the brother of Cyril's mother, would that not also mean that Cyril's mother and father are also cousins to each other?
Or is Long married to the sister of Cyril's mother? (in which case Long is not a blood relative of Cyril's)
Or is it more convoluted than that?
I didn't know Long was part of the family. Sure you haven't got him confused with Dean Rioli, who also played for the Bombers? The Rioli's are Tiwi Islanders and Long comes from the mainland.

I knew he was Maurice's nephew, his dad Cyril Jr is Maurice's brother. Cyril is the 3rd Cyril. Looked up Wiki to see his mum Kathy is Michael Long's sister. Heard there was a link but didn't know it was that close. 3 Norm Smiths in 2 generations of the family. That's some pedigree.

Dunno about the cousin link, what blackfellas call a cousin, as well as aunt and uncle, can vary.

Just saying that I read it on the internet but now I am questioning that source (literally).
Will update here if I learn anything more.
Most likely that source is getting Long and Dean Rioli mixed up.

When interviewed after the game I'm pretty sure Cyril discussed having won the Normie same as his uncles Maurice and Michael.

23.21.159 said:
Just saying that I read it on the internet but now I am questioning that source (literally).
Will update here if I learn anything more.
Most likely that source is getting Long and Dean Rioli mixed up.

Looks like aboriginals refer to (brother) in-laws (Michael Long and Maurice Rioli) as 'cousins'.

TigerForce said:
Looks like aboriginals refer to (brother) in-laws (Michael Long and Maurice Rioli) as 'cousins'.

what white australia call cousins are called brothers or sisters in some/most/all of Indigenous Australia.
cousins are probably any relation in the same generation, eg two mens great grandparents were 'cousins' so they are still cousins.

if you ar really interested there is a heap of stuff outlining family relationships, who's called what etc out there. try to find Tiwi Islander info though, as it is different across Australia.

TheCan said:
Dem white fella confusion

LOL

reminds me of Greek Aussies or most Europeans for that matter. Ask them how two are related, they think about it for a long time and say "oh he's ljust my cousin"

antman said:
LOL

reminds me of Greek Aussies or most Europeans for that matter. Ask them how two are related, they think about it for a long time and say "oh he's ljust my cousin"
An Italian mate of mine was like that. We were convinced that he was somehow related to every Italian person in Victoria.

There's been a few Riolis over the journey: Maurice, Seb, Dean, Ben, Shannon, a couple of Willies, a couple of Cyril's, Daniel.

tigertim said:
There's been a few Riolis over the journey: Maurice, Seb, Dean, Ben, Shannon, a couple of Willies, a couple of Cyril's, Daniel.

A goodie in this draft actually