Richo to play, despite wrist injury | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richo to play, despite wrist injury

A

admin

(Hope this hasn't already been copied over?)
20 February 2003 Herald Sun

RICHMOND ace Matthew Richardson says he will play in tomorrow night's Wizard Cup opener against Melbourne at Telstra Dome despite nursing a wrist sprain.

Richardson proved his value at Punt Road with 20 goals in the last five games of 2002 in an otherwise dismal season for player and club.

This week proved how reliant the Tigers will be on their enigmatic spearhead when he sent scares through Richmond after spraining a wrist in a fall at home last weekend.

Richardson trained this morning and later, despite having his right wrist strapped, said he was ready.

"It feels fine, I trained today and everything felt good so I'll be ready to go tomorrow night and looking forward to the game," he said.

"I just had to get through training today and I've done that and I feel really good so I can't wait to get out there tomorrow night now.

"If it didn't feel right we wouldn't be playing tomorrow night, but it's fine so we're playing."

In a season of controversies last year, Richardson was one of a large ensemble cast.

His dramatic turn included the highs of a sizzling six-goal effort against Collingwood in round one and the late-season burst.

But in between there were hamstring injuries and his demotion to the VFL for poor body language he displayed towards teammates in the round 14 loss to Carlton.

He looked relaxed today while visiting a Blood Bank centre to support donors and said he too was ready to give.

"Every AFL player will tell you you're better prepared if you've done a whole pre-season," Richardson said.

"I've done that this year, haven't missed any sessions and feeling really fit and looking forward to it. Can't wait."

Richmond wants to strike a balance between good pre-season form and carrying results into the season proper, having followed a grand final berth in the Wizard Cup with a poor 14th in the season proper last year.

Richardson admitted the Tigers hit their straps too early.

"We were pretty fit and we were up and running very early last year whereas this year we're trying to pace ourselves with our fitness work a little bit more," he said.

"But in saying that we're ready to go tomorrow night and looking forward to it ... but we're taking it a little bit slower this year and hopefully we'll peak a little bit later in the season."

Richardson said fellow big man Brad Ottens was rested today but would play against Melbourne.